10/24 Adequan dose, and DM carbs - cross post from Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and Kitty, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I am excited and nervous - Kitty came home from his vet visit with his first Adequan shot on board! The vet started him with .2 (whatever the unit is), twice a week.

He was okay with us giving the shot in the scruff. He'd prefer below the skin a little lower, but we're comfortable with scruff.

Kitty now weighs 16 lbs, 1 oz. (That's down from his diagnosis weight of 21 pounds in 2009. )

I would love to know the dose other Adequan kitties get.

Also... the vet asked why we don't like the Purina DM dry food. I told him I would get the carb content for him. Anyone know it?

Thanks, everyone. Wish Kitty's joints luck!

2. Mystery

Mystery Member

Re: 10/24 Adequan dose, and DM carbs - cross post from Lantu

Re Purina DM dry - the mfg's site says it's guaranteed max of 18% carb, the Binky's page indicates 13%. I stopped Boo's DM dry last Thursday, it seems to have made a significant difference for him the past few days.

Good luck with the Adequan! I hope Kitty is able to chase butterflies (or flys, or shadows) very soon!

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

It's on the dry food chart as having 13% carbs, http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html (for some reason it's listed as M/D instead of DM).

And it's not just the carbs we don't like. The quality of ingredients in Purina DM, both dry and canned, are pretty junky And the food is expensive. And the dry food is, well, dry which can cause other health issues as described on Dr. Lisa's web site. I think DM is too high in liver as well, which can cause a vitamin deficiency of some sort.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. I will share this with the vet. Each one, reach one! Improving kitty nutrition one vet at a time.

5. Re: 10/24 Adequan dose, and DM carbs - cross post from Lantu

The purina DM is listed at 13%.
    The "M/D" mentioned is Hills presciption diet. It also is listed at 13%.
    Both are garbage (or as I like to call them "carbage" for sugarkitties.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.