10/25 Poopy +10 27...37...47...up to 104 at +13

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Teresa and Poopy, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

10/22 thread

Holy cow! What a number to wake up to. Fed a teaspoon of 11% and will test again in a few minutes.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 10/25 Poopy +10 27

You have karo or syrup?

If he's not coming up into the 30s, I would give a drop of that.

3. Teresa and Poopy

will do

how often should i test? every 20?

4. Teresa and Poopy

18 minutes later, 37 and another teaspoon of 11%

Poopy seems fine, and loves the fuds!

5. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Oh my, Poopy what are you doing? That is too low buddy!

hugs Teresa! I don't have experience being this low, but was told to test every 20 when Zeus was in the 50's.

(((Hugs)))
    Kathie

6. Teresa and Poopy

Thanks, Dyana and Kathie.

I am so glad I woke up on time this morning. Whew!

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can get Poopy to come back up for you. I've read that Karo wears off quicker than food so it's good to keep testing every 20 to 30 minutes. Karo is good to get the numbers up quickly, but food keeps them up for the long term.

8. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

WOAH!! :shock:

Fantastic catch, Teresa!

Re-test 15-20 after last test, ok?

For next time, if there is one: You can always add an icon (the 911, the question mark, the star) to get extra attention. I was scanning LL and *still* missed that you were in the 20s! (SORRY! And thanks, Dyana, for the alert, and for being here with input!)

Also, thanks, Carla and Kathie, for showing up and posting in support :smile: You girls rock! This whole place rocks :mrgreen:

Hugs
    Jane

9. Teresa and Poopy

It does indeed! Thank you all!

While I "know" what to do, it sure helps having the support. :YMHUG:

10. Teresa and Poopy

15 min later, 47, and another teaspoon of 11% fuds.

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He certainly earned a dosecrease :D .

I'm thinking about the future and wondering what to do with Poopy at +12, since he's eating after +10 and MC at that.
    Are you home and able to monitor him today? Is your schedule flexible enough for you to stall for maybe hours?

I'm going to have to log off in about 15 minutes so won't be around at your +12. I would send a PM to Sienne as I think she logs on around that time.

12. Teresa and Poopy

Re: 10/25 Poopy +10 27...37...47

Supposed to go to work in 1 1/2 hours but can stall a couple hours at most.

Edited to add: And thank you, Dyana. Have so much on my mind I forget to thank individuals as I go. Please know I appreciate everyone's support and sharing of knowledge. :YMHUG: That's how I "know" what to do...reading all of your shared knowledge. Doesn't mean I will "know" right at the moment I need, though! :lol: ohmygod_smile :lol:

13. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Good thinking, Dyana :smile:

Congrats on the dosecrease, Teresa! :mrgreen:

Jane

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm just afraid you don't want to shoot at +12 because these rising numbers are food induced, and would want to stall for at least an hour I would think, to make sure he is surfing or rising without food, before you give a shot.

15. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Good boy Poopy, bringing those numbers up a bit. Doing great Teresa, (((hugs)))

16. Teresa and Poopy

Dyana, I understand the concern, and I really don't want to skip a dose due to the shed and all.

I have plenty (over a case) of 11% fuds so can feed the MC today to help keep him up.

17. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

So, if I'm reading this right, you could stall until (+13) or so, is that right?

Jane

18. Teresa and Poopy

Yes, I can stall until +14

19. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Ok, that's great. That way, as Dyana says, you can make sure he's rising without food. I may not be on still, but Sienne will probably be around/reachable by then in case you wanted input :smile:

Hugs
    Jane

20. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I have to log off now, so won't see your latest test, but what is it?

I would get him into the 60s or 70s, and then stop the feeding and see how he does for an hour without food, and then post, to ask for advice about shooting.

Have a good day.

21. Teresa and Poopy

66, fed chicken chunk

Will test again in 20 minutes to be sure not dropping again.

If he continues upward, would it be safe to stay on schedule or is waiting more advisable?

Edited to add: Didn't see your post, Dyana, before I posted. So I'll wait to shoot then.

Thank you Dyana and Jane. :YMHUG:

22. snorton

snorton Member

What a surprise for you Teresa. Hope Poopy comes back up soon and gives you a nice surf today. Crossing paws here.

23. Teresa and Poopy

Thank you, Shannan. :D

+11 and 20 minutes, 71 and fed chicken chunk. The rise has slowed but hasn't had MC for almost an hour. Will test again in 20-30 to see where we stand.

24. Teresa and Poopy

+12 72, fed chicken chunk

It's been 1 hour and 15 minutes since he last had fuds. Wait another 30 or so to be sure still rising before shot since he seems to have stalled on the rising?

Recap:

+10 5:11 27, fed teaspoon 11% fuds
    5:29 37, fed teaspoon 11% fuds
    5:45 47, fed teaspoon 11% fuds
    +11 6:20 66, fed chicken chunk
    6:40 71, fed chicken chunk
    +12 7:00 72, fed chicken chunk

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 10/25 Poopy +10 27...37...47...up to 72

I'd see where he is at +12.5. I'm less concerned about the chicken chunks influencing Poopy's numbers than the 11%.

BTW, can I please ask that you always get a before bed test? If you had gotten a test before your +10, you might have known that Poopy's numbers were dropping. There is a pattern of Poopy's numbers dropping at night.

26. Teresa and Poopy

Thank you, Sienne. :YMHUG:

I do try and get a before bed test if it's +2 or +3 after shot. If I crash right after shot and don't hear the alarm to get up to test, then there's no test. It doesn't happen all the time (missing the PM +2 or +3), but it will happen when my health issues are flared up. Sleep is a major factor, for me, with my health issues. Not whining or making excuses, it just is what it is. :sad:

I'd love to be able to care for Poopy as well as some of the folks here, it just isn't possible to do more than I do. I do my best. :smile: (Not being snarky, just explaining.)

Will brb with +12.5

27. Teresa and Poopy

+12.5 91, so he's heading back up and it's been almost 2 hours since fuds (1 hour 45 minutes to be exact).

Wait another 20-30 minutes to test before shooting?

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

And I don't mean to give you a hard time. It just seems like Poopy likes to pick up momentum at night and waking up to a 27 is a bit of like mainlining caffeine. I'd like to see your day begin with less of a jolt!

29. Teresa and Poopy

I will admit my first thoughts were scrambled, "Holy cow! What do I do? Rub Karo on his gums? No, he looks fine. Feed HC? No, let's try MC first. What if he drops more? Need to post. Need to feed. Don't panic. Poop loves fuds, he'll eat. Ok, feed, post, then coffee. Oh crap!" Of course, that was all in a second! :lol:

30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 10/25 Poopy +10 27...37...47...up to 91 at +12.5

The problem with really low numbers and your cat acting "fine" is that many of the most evident symptoms of hypoglycemia don't occur until your cat is really in trouble. Can you re-test in 30 min?

Given that food is in the mix and you're not going to be home, I'd encourage you to skip the shot unless Poopy zooms up. I know it's hard to skip but I'd rather have you err on the side of safety.

31. Teresa and Poopy

+13 104

Knowing he will skyrocket in a bounce, still don't shoot? Bottom line, I do want to be safe with Poop.

I can stay home with him for another hour or so.

32. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I'd want you to see a sharp rise in numbers in order to shoot safely. For some cats who experience low numbers, like the 27 and you don't know how long Poopy was in very low numbers, they can be sensitive to the effects of insulin. In addition, if the insulin and depot are bringing numbers that far down, skipping would drain the depot a bit. Like I said, I'd rather err on the side of safety.

33. Teresa and Poopy

Ok. Sounds reasonable. :D

Thank you, Sienne. :YMHUG:

I'll go ahead and feed then. Will sure be nice to no longer be getting the looks of, "What is this crap? You poke me, tease me with bites of food, then keep poking me for chicken chunks. Dang, Bean! I want my fuds!"

34. Teresa, good job! Sorry for the jolt on the numbers this morning, that's always so freaky. You did great and hope he keeps climbing, but not to the 'red' zone.

Have a good day.

Jo

35. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Teresa, what Jo said above me. Good job with Poopy.
    Poopy, keep climbing up to a nice, safe surf, Mags

36. GregFurBall

GregFurBall Well-Known Member

Wow Teresa. What a CRAZY morning you and Poopy have already had. I'm sure Poopy was happy to finally get the fuds. Hopefully skipping a shot will not create too much of a bounce. But I'm with Sienne and would rather Poopy be safe than drop more today since work interferes with kittyland. :smile:

Have a great day.
    Karen

37. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Wow Teresa! :coffee:

Good on you guys! At least you know he lika the juice! Well earned dose decrease :shock: nailbite_smile :D

38. Leslie and Jasper

Leslie and Jasper Well-Known Member

Yes, wow Teresa what a wake up! :eek: Great job handling the situation :D and using the food to bring Poopy up out of the green muck. Hope he has minimal bounce after such a dramatic start to the day. Enjoy your day!

39. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my! :shock:
    Looks like Poopy wins the "Wild Ride of the Day" .
    Great Job Teresa!!

40. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

Hi Teresa, Hope Poopy is up in the "no stress" BG#s by now. I believe waking up to the real low number is one of my greatest fears. If it happens I hope I respond as great as you did.

41. Teresa and Poopy

+10.5 and an ugly 432...but he's happy, purry, and has been grooming. Much, much better than an awful alternative I could think of! :D

I want to thank you all for stopping by and your kind words. And a special thank you to those who helped keep me informed and on track this morning. Poopy is very special to me and I would be devastated to lose him through ignorance. Aw heck...Who am I kidding? I'll be devastated when he crosses regardless of the reason. cat_pet_icon

42. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

So, you have a choice for tonight. You can shoot through the bounce (i.e., shoot your "old" dose of 2.75u) or shoot your new bounce of 2.5u.

43. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, Poppy! What the heck was that!? :shock: 27 and 432 in the same day?

44. Teresa and Poopy

PMPS 390, and shot 2.5 (the new dose).

While Poopy seems happy and purry when momma is petting and loving on him, he also seems a bit worn out. Wants to sleep. They (both cats) ate less than half their AM fuds. Poop did eat tonight but didn't seem to eat as much as he normally does.

Now I'm going to worry something is up with him. Maybe it's just the roller coaster ride he had in the last day.

Thank you, again, for stopping by and sharing your wisdom. :YMHUG:

45. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

For some cats, when they go through this kind of swing in their numbers, they feel like cr*p. I think we'd feel the same way. See how he's feeling tomorrow.

46. Nice job, Poopy, Mom loves confusingly low numbers when she first wakes up in the morning. Yikes!

Now that the dust has settled, I have a couple of questions....

1 - would a better (or alternative) plan when Teresa saw the 27 at +10 have been to give karo/honey? Thinking that maybe that would have boosted him up quickly, but wouldn't have muddied the AMPS test with food carbs. Then the food could have been 11% at breffis, and maybe she could have shot on time instead of skipping? All hypothetical, of course.

2 - When you skip a shot like this, does that help the shed with adjusting to a lowered dose more quickly? Less residual action from a previous dose, so maybe Poopy will show results to the lowered dose faster than he might otherwise show results?

Too bad this didn't happen next weekend instead of this weekend. If so, Teresa could have shot an "hour early" tonight, and taken care of the time adjustment of Daylight Savings/Standard time provided she could have lived with a day or two of "early" shots till the clocks change.

If anyone has to skip a shot next Friday or Saturday, you may think of doing that?

Carl

47. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Good catch today, Teresa.

Carl..to answer your questions

1. I give karo for the 20s. I don't want Gracie in those numbers at all. While some cats might not show symptoms of a hypo, without being able to monitor body functions such as heart rate, neurological activity, etc, we don't know how being low like that might actually affect them. So I'm for getting them up as fast as possible into safer numbers and then feed to keep them from going back down. Also...giving karo at +10 is still muddying the AMPS. It is not safe to give any kind of HC late in the cycle to be able to shoot the PS.

2. I think skipping was the wisest choice in order to drain the depot. We don't know how low Poopy got, he wasn't skyrocketing, and Teresa was going to be at work.

48. I agree, skipping was the wise choice this morning, Marje. I guess my question #2 is more of a "when you skip completely, does that help by making sure the shed doesn't get ahead of the dose?" I think that's the way I've heard it said?
    I know I've read that when you reduce, you shouldn't expect to see immediate lessening of the action caused by the insulin, because the shed needs to drain. So skipping makes it drain more quickly, right? So his reaction to 2.5u should be more of what you would expect from a reduced dose? And if he's a "settler", then he should settle sooner? In theory anyway?

Carl

49. Teresa and Poopy

DH did a wonderful job of waking me up to test tonight after I explained how important it is to do so. Gotta love him! :YMHUG:

+3 334

And there's the Carl we all love! Good to see you back, my friend. :D And with wonderful questions, as usual.

I first thought of the Karo, but then thought of it as a quick fix item and needed something longer acting, since he was so low. Of course, I was having thoughts collide and was much more muddled at the time. I probably should have given him a drop of Karo with the teaspoon of food, for a mix of both...at least on the first round.

Sienne's explanation of why not to give a shot made sense to me...to help the shed decrease. At least I won't worry (too much anyway) that I'll have a repeat performance in the morning.

Thankfully I can move Poop's shots "back" with the time change pretty easily "Springing" forth will be an issue I'll need to deal with in the spring, though.

Ok...back to bed for me! Good night all! :YMHUG:

50. "The Power of Positive Thinking" .... Come "spring forward", Poopy will be OTJ so it won't be an issue. ;-)

Carl

Attached Files:

51. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Carl...yes...when you skip completely, it helps to drain the depot more thus limiting its "ability" to get ahead of the CG. But ECID and it also depends on the cat and the dose. For a big gulper, one skipped shot might not help get ahead of the depot as much as it would for a sipper. ;-)

When you reduce, the depot can affect up to six subsequent cycles..again ECID. So one wouldn't expect to see a big change in the cycles (unless the kitty bounces) the first cycle after a reduction. You'd generally see it in a later cycle. Skipping does drain it a little more because the CG isn't giving another shot...even a reduced one..to add to the depot. Since she skipped this morning and then shot the reduced dose tonight, then it should allow Teresa to get ahead of the depot.

I'm not sure I understand the last part of the question...sorry..duh on my part. BUT...because cats can and do change, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether a cat that normally settles into a dose quickly would continue to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.