? 10/28 Hobbes OTJ question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nikkiaz2forhobbes, Oct 28, 2020.

1. nikkiaz2forhobbes

nikkiaz2forhobbes New Member

Hello -

I am back with our diabetic cat #2 Hobbes, who was diagnosed on 10/11 at the emergency vet based on his BG, weight loss, and peeing (and a severe vomiting episode).

We did the testing and Lantus and he was showing “normal” numbers so we began to question the diagnosis and took him off insulin.

His numbers were kind of stable with just low carb food (FF). Now it seems like they are getting lower and lower. He pretty much is off the low carb wet food and is on dry “regular” food. But we are not getting much sleep because we are worried that he might go too low.

Is this normal for an OTJ cat? Are we missing anything?

thank you!

Nancy

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Congrats on starting a OTJ trial. Hobbes is not diabetic at this time if he stays in normal bg for 14 days. Since he is not getting insulin no need to worry about him reading low. It’s normal. However, when diet controlled they need to remain on a low carb diet if truly diabetic. Otherwise he will likely end up back on insulin. Check his bg for the next just at amps and pmps for the next 7 days. No other tests are needed unless he’s above 100 at which point test 2-3 hours after eating and if his pancreas is working it will come down. Good luck!

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Nope, you did well to stop the insulin, he doesn't appear to need it. You only need to lose sleep if you are giving insulin and seeing low numbers ;), but since he doesn't have any exogenous insulin, the numbers you are seeing is just his pancreas working. Many of our members have tested their nondiabetic cats and had numbers in the 40s in a human meter.

Any reason you've gone back to dry?

4. nikkiaz2forhobbes

nikkiaz2forhobbes New Member

Wow! Thank you so much - I am so glad I asked! We now hopefully can get some sleep (unless diabetic cat #1 Niki is going low)!

We switched to dry because I think we were panicking over the low numbers. He also was not thrilled with FF every meal. We are trying to expand his selection to other low carb wet foods. We will cut out the dry food again (carefully) and keep testing every day.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Nancy and Hobbes

tiffmaxee likes this.