10/29 Toby AMPS 695, +8 335 , +9 283.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kate & Toby, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Hi all, weve been on Levemir now for 5 days and I think I'm starting to see it take effect with some lower numbers. Yay.

Should I be worried as isn't that the effect of last nights dose? So I increased this morning so he will go even lower next cycle? I am not sure if I have understood the depot correctly!

He is still a bit grumpy and fluffed up and just not his usual self, but he is eating well, sleeping well and drinking lots and has negative ketones and purring a plenty so I think he just needs some time.

Thank you all in advance.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi there Kate! One thing I notice when I look at Toby's SS is that you're changing dose from time to time...1 to 1.75 in a span of just a few days. When you choose a protocol - SLGS or TR you will want to change the dose only at the prescribed time. Typically on TR we wait for at least 3 days, or 6 cycles before increasing by .25 only. SLGS is, I believe 10 days to hold the dose before increasing by .25.

So that variation of dosing will causing all kinds of weird things to happen with his numbers. We're on Levemir as well and I started a bit lower than the Lantus I was using previously and we walked our way up (based on the dosing protocol in TR) to our present dose (which I think might be a bit low, but Luci earned a reduction by hitting some low numbers a while back).

Please read the stickies at the top and select a protocol. In the meantime, please don't change the dose amount until you have read those protocols and selected one. It looks like you're able to test often, so you may want to begin with TR (Tight Regulation)...let's hope we can get those numbers down soon. Gotta let that depot build up by holding the dose steady - Levimer is a long acting insulin so you'll want to be consistent with the timing and the amount. It looks like he has a history of DKA so it's very important for those numbers to come down as soon as possible.

You may also want to consider a human meter and strips since they're much more affordable - and the protocols are written with human meters as reference...many of us use human meters with very good results.

Toby's avatar is adorable btw!!!