? 10/8 Indie - I shot at +9.5 on accident..AMPS 132, +1 141, +2.5 83, +3.5 94, +5 81, +7 84, +9 161

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jessica & furbaby Indie, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

Ugh am so slow (or tired). Woke up at my usual shot time of 7:30am and shot 1 unit because she was at 132. BUT was specifically told not to shoot till 9:30am due to my late shot last night at 10pm. So this mornings shot was at +9.5. Ugh!! Is she going to be okay? Do I now need to monitor most of today? Am supposed to leave today at 5pm for a wedding which will be +9.5 after this mornings shot. Am not shooting tonight due to the wedding (in yesterday's conversation, I explain that as well as why my backup cannot shoot for me as Indie is aggressive since being on insulin). But seems like skipping tonight's shot will actually work out.

Here is yesterday's conversation:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...69-3-5-103-pmps-87-do-i-shoot-tonight.166288/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

An early shot will act like an increase in dose.

I would get a +1 and +2 and go from there.

If you have any medium carb food, you can give a little right away to encourage a surf.
    And if numbers hover at 50 or below, break out the syrup or honey. Remember just a little at a time with the food/gravy, just in case you need to do this for hours.
    It is likely you will have to monitor today.
    Don't beat yourself up, this happens.

3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Exactly what Rhiannon said and really try not to be hard on yourself but do watch her. :bighug::bighug:

4. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:Hoping she surfs today and that by +9.5 you are able to leave to go to the wedding knowing that with the skipped shot tonight she will be safe! ( :bighug:unless you really secretly don't want to go to the wedding, and then I hope even tho she's safe you stay home to monitor Her!;))

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep updating your subject line with your tests so you can get help if needed. Don't beat yourself up. Things happen. You're human. :bighug::bighug:

6. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Am so so so mad at myself for doing this. Am sick to my stomach. My poor baby!

Okay I will be on it testing all day. Ugh she was supposed to get a reduction and here I essentially give her an increase! Oh my goodness. What is wrong with me??!

7. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Means a lot!! ❤

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  8. Gussie's mom (GA)

What is "wrong" with you ( and I use the word wrong only in quotes) is that you are human, exhausted because of this dance and the enormous amount of effort it takes to do it....and mental gymnastics it takes to keep everything straight in our heads!
    It's not you, we all have been there and messed one thing or another up! The fact that you are doing this when so many just walk away from giving their cats a fighting chance proves there is nothing "wrong" with you, quite the contrary, you are pretty great actually!
    Try not to beat yourself up, mistakes happen some we learn from, they are opportunities to learn new nuances of this process!
    Hang in There! Welcome to the humans who make mistakes club!
    More :coffee::coffee::coffee::woot::bighug:

9. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Things like this do happen - you're not alone, we've all done things we didn't intend to! The good news is that you'll be there to monitor for most of the day, so as Carla said, just keep updating the subject line with Indie' numbers. She could very well just surf it on out without incident!

10. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Awe... Thank you!!! I so needed this. I do have to remember that. I continually promise her that we are going to get through this and I will make sure she is safe and protected and here I messed up so is hard. But am grateful am home today! So glad it happened on a Saturday when I didn't have plans during the day so I can monitor. And I WILL keep her safe:)

And she was 141 at +1. Coming up to +2 and she is running around playing. So that's a good sign! Hoping she forgives me for all the extra pricks today ;) Although am sure she will love all the extra attention :)

11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to test every hour and the +2 will be a good indicator. Sometimes a "dosecrease" actually raises their numbers. We're zombies most days unfortunately and the robot in us takes over. I once gave Doodles double heart meds! It's great she's running around and playing...makes it easier.

12. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Very nice surf so far!!

13. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sweet surf she has going for you!:D:D

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

As Leslie said, welcome to the club! When we had two diabetic cats, we once gave them each other's doses! :eek: Luckily, they were only .25 different, so no harm, no foul. Your mistake was not that huge - we once had a cat here that got 10 units instead of 1 - THAT was a big mistake (the cat, and the bean, survived).

Indie's looking pretty awesome. I'm glad she decided to hop on her surf board. You should be fine to go to your wedding. Since you aren't shooting tonight, you can leave feed right up until you leave and also leave some out for her.

Just a note: Since you are using an Alpha Trak, your "take action" number would be 68, rather than 50. I'll bet you already knew that! ;)

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Indie is surfing safely for you.

16. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Yes! Thank you to everyone for watching today! I so appreciate you all!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Stop beating yourself up. We have alllllll been there and had our "mishaps" You aren't the first and you won't be the last to do a boo-boo........

18. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Jessica

I am glad that Indie has surfed nicely for you. Let me tell you a little story..ssssshhhh...don't tell anyone else :cool:

I have been doing the FD sugar dance for almost 2 years...first with one kitty and then his sister ended up diabetic 7 months ago. So by all rights I "know" what I am doing. One morning..which starts early for me..I shot 2 units instead of 1 unit for my girlie FD kitty....no excuse that makes any sense...but I did it. Luckily because I had learned enough over the last almost 2 years, I was able to keep her in safe numbers and not let her numbers get into a hypo range. Every single person on this forum has made some sort of faux pas at some time. As long as we are aware of our "ooopps" moment and either know how to deal with it or ask for help, we can deal with it. You are doing a wonderful job and never get down on yourself!! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

19. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Nothing is wrong with you, except you are human. I have done this, too. It happens.

20. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Fortunately all was fine today. I'm very glad - and you don't need to beat yourself up. You'll probably never do it again. Being tired makes it easy to make mistakes and taking care of a diabetic cat is tiring.

I'm going to give you a couple of corrections to make on the spreadsheet to reflect the actual shot/test times. These things can matter when it comes to dosing. Every cycle is the time between 2 shots, not the time you typically give a shot. You count + hours from each shot, so if you are late on the shot, the count continues post +12. In other words, yesterday's day cycle for Indie was 14 hours long, not 12. The pm cycle was 9.5 hours long.

When you vary from the 12 hour interval, you want to note the length of the cycle in the same cell as the preshot test. So this morning's amps cell would read:

9.5=132

Then in the comments section you've explained it, which is also important.

Last night's ss should also be changed. The preshot is always the number that you actually shoot. The 7:30pm last night doesn't matter because it's not the time you shot and having it in the time column gives a false impression. That cell for the time should read 9:30pm. Then in +12 column, stack up your numbers like this:

12=87
    13=116

Having skipped the shot tonight means that this cycle will be 24 hours long - or however many hours it is between this morning's shot and tomorrow morning's shot. If you check Indie in the meantime, it would be +16 or +20, etc. Put that # in the cell with the blood test so it's obvious how long it's been since the last shot.

20=200 for example

Hope that helps! These little details can make a difference - I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but it could end up being important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.