10/9 Tina AMPS 124 +4 97 +6 108 +8 95 PMPS 117

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina Marie (GA) and Jan, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good day:cool:
    I was stalling on this morning's post, hoping I'd get the call from the vet on blood results.
    At about 5am, I felt a different kitty next to me in bed, and it was my precious Tina Marie. It helped me rest longer after I drew her in to me and cuddled her up like a pillow. She did not move until time to get up! It's been a long time since she's come to me at night. I usually zonk out on the couch with her. Since the diabetes, she had made her night home on the couch, usually with her buddy next to her.

I continue to take her outside daily to get her used to her condo. She is learning very well how to go back inside, but she hasn't gone out on her own yet. I am not forcing it; we are taking it slow and easy. I promise to post a picture after it looks better.

Have a wonderful day kitty cats and human beans!

2. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Awww Jan, it's so nice to see Tina progressing so well, I'm really happy for you both!
    I hope the BW results are positive news!
    Have a wonderful day! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Nothing better than snuggling with an adorable kitty.

Wishing blood work comes back all normal.

When you have some free time, please tell me a little about Tina's background with hyperthyroidism.
    Did you do the readioactive med?

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice that Tina joined you in bed. I hope you hear from the vet soon.

6. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I would not have been able to even get out of bed! Max cuddles!!!

Tina is looking really awesome today!! Keep it up Tina!

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awwww how sweet! Love a snuggle-cat! I hope the labs come back with helpful/positive information.

It does sound like Tina is feeling better if she's snuggly :)

8. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Of course! The only thing I noticed before the hyperT diagnosis was excessive hunger, and she lost one to two pounds. So, she started on Methimazole, and was on it for at least a year, before I decided to go for "the cure" - Radioactive Iodine treatment. Tina was doing ok on the meds though. I read a lot about the I-131 treatment, and decided to move forward, hoping it would be helpful long term, possibly helping both heart and kidneys.

She was one of the unlucky cats who was overtreated, and is now hypo. AND she became diabetic soon after treatment. Coincidence?
    The total cost was about 2k, which included a cardiac checkup to make sure she was good for treatment. Something I keep thinking about, is leaving cans of FF gravy lovers, to make sure she would eat - before I left her. They said it was critical she eat, so bring food she loves.
    The treatment is one injection of iodine, supposedly measured correctly for your cat. The kitty becomes radioactive, and has to stay at the clinic for 5 days. After you bring kitty home, they have to be isolated in their own room for two weeks!! You can only visit and gently pet for 5-10 minutes, twice a day (or something similar).

I sure hope I hear today real soon, about whether this lady vet I saw yesterday will help by giving a little thyroid supplement. (I can't believe my regular vet didn't know anything about what to do after overtreatment.) Otherwise, I'll call the place where she had her treatment and get advice.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  9. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Sorry that Tina got over treated. Usually when that happens I was told that synthroid would be administer if the thyroid became under active. Synthroid is safer than methimazol. Yo is on Felimazole(pet med for methimazole).
    I hope your current vet corrects the situation.

10. Sue and Luci

Poor Tina! What an ordeal for her...and for you too! I hope things settle down for her once she gets her meds right :)

11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Well, I have input the new labs. Tina got her first subcutaneous fluids - 100ml, and I am to continue every other day. She was an excellent patient, as always.
    She also has Thyro-tabs, .1mg to take daily.
    My heart hurts.
    From July to now, her creatinine went from 2.8 to 4.3, and her BUN from 27 to 48
    Doctor said stop the _____ metacam. And double the gabapentin. Original vet used to talk about all these new studies showing metacam wasn't bad for kidney cats after all. blah blah blah. The doc today pretty much called bs on that. So, that's where things stand.

Tina pulled a funny on me after we got home. She hid in her "brother's" room as I was doling out dinner. I always serve her last, and lo and behold, when I found Tina, her brother the food annihilator, was watching her eat his meal. Love that darn cat. Both of them.

We are to recheck kidneys and thyroid in 30-45 days.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  12. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Always keep you on your toes:p

13. Sue and Luci

Awwww....at least she got the jump on bros food :) Try to focus on your lovely girl and not on her numbers. It's nice that she's a model patient. And her glucose on the labs drawn today was so improved from previous!! Have a lovely evening Jan...cuddle up with your kitties :)

14. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It’s wonderful when they resume their own habits and bed time snuggles are the best!

lucky girl to have her own condo! Can’t wait to see pics!!

16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

17. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I am doing just what you said. It is all about today, right now. None of us know what the future holds. I need to just focus on loving my Tina and having some fun. And loving my dog. And my other cats.
    Before when I was loving the saying, your cat is more than his or her numbers, I was thinking of glucose. Now I have to include those other numbers too!
    Her cholesterol is much better. And BG of course. I was hoping good diabetes control would help her kidneys.
    Good words Sue. Kiss Luci for me.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  18. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

The pills she finally got today are shaped like Synthroid or Levothyroxine. I had noticed you giving Felimazole.
    I guess my first vet hadn't yet been to a new class on better drug choices for felines, seriously.
    Kiss Yo for me, on top of his head:cat:

19. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Nice to read about Tina cuddling up to mom :) isn't that what it's all about? Can't wait to see pics of your kitty condo!

20. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Hi Jan, that's an upsetting result. However, treated well, CKD can be controlled! These numbers can go down again. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

oh I hope so. I really do:bighug::bighug::bighug: Thank you Penelope.

22. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Loving hugs to you and Tina :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

And right back to you and Leo, Sonia:bighug::bighug::bighug: Thank you:)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  24. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

It was magical Liz.
    I want more tonight:):cat:
    Tina is talking to me and I better listen. She's giving the loud meow! Give Figgy a hug.

25. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

She used to always sleep with me before FD.
    I just adore Bubba and it just made me grin big to think of his OTJ status!
    I built the outdoor enclosure 11 years ago. It's been through a couple makeovers, and I'm turning it into a Senior cat house! Or enclosure. Or condo, like we have here:D I was trying a play on words, or whatever you call it, with that condo idea!

26. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Tina’s thyroid levels are really low which can cause the creatinine to increase; that’s very common knowledge with those in the medical field. If she were mine, I’d get her back in 30 days and see if the levothyroxine is the correct dose. We would then hope the creatinine would come back down.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Marje,
    I have renewed hope and I am both thrilled and sad that you know more than Tina's entire medical practice. It has become obvious that I need to sever some personal relationships to save my pets.
    I would only use them for blood work now.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

29. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Elmo has the perfect look for me on his sweet face.
    Thank you Elmo. And you too Beth:)

Beth 73 likes this.
  30. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Seems they have missed a few things. While there are no guarantees, her creatinine has risen as her thyroid levels have dropped. We can’t discount the Metacam but my previous vet gave a low dose of Metacam to her clinic cat for years and Taffy lived to be 22.