11/06 Curry - fish tales

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Greetings from Texas.

Ok....you are asking what does Tena mean by "fish tales".....Well, Curry has been on fish oil for about 2 months now and I've seen a change in her bg.....as in lower....I think it might be helping reduce any inflammation (asthma related) that keeps her numbers slightly elevated.

I still test since I'm so paranoid about her diabetes coming back and she's thrown me some interesting numbers in the last 4 months. Like a 153 at her highest or numbers not really coming down after eating but staying around 100 or so....

Anyway, tested her this morning 3.5 hours after eating and she was 49 on my contour meter ohmygod_smile ....so I tested her again and she was 51 on my aviva meter....she's never gone this low w/out any insulin being on board. Her numbers started to come down gradually this past week. It might be a combination of reduced pollen in the air and the fish oil kicking in...either way that was a surprise. Now I can stop testing her so darn much. :smile:

Sid is still in Wet Food Remedial School...
    [​IMG]she's needing a little extra tutoring on the benfits of the wet stuff and some assisted feeding. I do the assisted feeding w/a food I won't feed her on regular bases....We do pretty well with it....I ordered some syringes w/"o" rings....might be easier to push the plunger and not get stuck.....and then food goes flying when it gets unstuck...quite the spectacle to see the aftermath of food on the bean and on the wall....Sid stays clean as she is lightly wrapped in a towel.....so glad Sid wasn't my diabetic kitty.....

2. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Interesting about the fish oil helping her bg! What kind do you use, and does she eat it in her food? I bought a big bottle of Nuri-Vet's wild alaskan salmon oil (says for dogs, but didn't think that mattered) to help with Shnookie's coat, as he has alot of dander. He will not eat it, tho, so I'm wondering if there is something better.

Silly Sid...and I hear you on the big mess it makes. I used to get more on myself and the floor than went into Muffin :lol: :lol: Fortunately for me, within a couple days she was cleaning up the floor herself, so we didn't have to do it for long.

Nice to hear from you Tena!

3. Tena and Curry(GA)

Keep in mind...Curry will eat ANYTHING. Sid won't eat the oil in her food....umm....she won't eat the food either. :lol:

However, I was able to get it into Sid by putting it in some tuna juice and added water to further reduce the salt...I use the Crown Prince solid white-no salt added tuna juice and then add it to a little water then drop in the salmon oil. Maybe just try the tuna juice w/water first to see if Shnookie will lap that up....if so add a drop of oil and see if she will eat it....and then add a few more drops....I think Marje put it on bonito flakes for Gracie. Just had an idea.....if Shnookie likes pill pockets...you can put a couple of drops in the hole before it fills up and give it that way...

And I use Carlson's Norwegian Salmon Oil....its stinky too. It actually the omega 3 fish oil that I take daily.

4. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tena, so interesting about the Salmon oil for Curry and helping her bg's. Is it given specifically for the asthma or general overall health? I take a Trader Joe's Omega-3 every day myself. Nice to hear about Sid, too. Have a nice day and scritches to Curry and Sid.

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning! WOW on the fish oil... I have been meaning to do this with my civvie Elsa, as she has a sensitivity issue, and have read that it can help with her need to lick. It's good to read which kind you use.

So so nice to read that Curry is doing well - YAY!!! WOW on the 49! and without insulin. HAPPY DANCE! It's nice to hear about Sid too - sorrow for the remedial lessons... good luck!

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

wow that's interesting on the fish oil - i should be taking it for high blood pressure but i hate the smell of the pills. and i'm only 3 years old and since it stinks, i don't take it. :lol:

too funny on the debris field - i can totally imagine it! :D

and great to see you, curry & sid, tena! we've missed you!

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I tried the omega 3 fish oil (from the health-food store) on Rusty and he had an allergic reaction to it (asthma-like breathing and coughing; it sounded like his throat was closing up)!! So that was the end of that. He has never liked fish and I guess the reason is that it doesn't react well with him. So now I am careful to read labels on cat food, because many brands include "fish" even in their meat foods.
    The upshot of this is that I have a bottle of fish-oil capsules that I would love to send to whomever would like to have them. P.M. me your address and the first response will get a bottle of 50 softgels (actually, 49!): "Solgar Triple Strength Omega 3, 950 MG, EPA & DHA (from coldwater fish; purified to eliminate mercury and other contaminents."

Tena, it's so great that Curry and Sid are doing well. Thanks for visiting Rusty today. Great to hear from you.

Ella & Rusty (fish-free forever)

8. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I love reading about your gang. Glad the fish oil is helping. What kick butt numbers Curry pulled off today huh. When I test Heff (OTJ since I got him) and he pulls a 50 my heart out of habit flutters and skips beats. Maverick never got to these numbers on insulin.

Did you buy syringes without O rings? I still have food on my ceiling from unsticking a syringe HAHA. I've gotten it in the face before too.

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I'm about to start fish oil w/ Tess, paws crossed. I'm going to take a go slow approach. The first time I made raw i way miscalculated the conversion and put in about quadruple what i should have. Tess wouldn't even go near the dish!

Ella, I just saw an ad for mega-Red plant based Omega 3 capsules! i wonder if that would be OK for Rusty?

10. Tena and Curry(GA)

I know the fish oil helps to reduce inflammation in the body. And I know that the asthma causes inflammation. Just hoping to do everything to help my "high maintenance"'

I don't blame Tess for turning up her nose at the fishy food. Good luck with the fish oil and making the raw food.

11. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, Tena & lady-girls!!

I think it's fascinating that fish oil is having that effect...
    and now I'm interested in checking into that route...
    what a wonderful thing if it could be a beneficial supplement to help FD treatment :D

and can't help but laugh at the Sid image...
    good to see you!!
    you always have such great pics, girl..

Celi & sometimes lady-girl binks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.