? 11/10 - Dolly - AMPS 326 - 0.9 ketones - 272 @+2 - 0.0 Ketones with blood meter

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Nov 10, 2020.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-7-dolly-amps244-3-190-5-161.238210/
    Dolly was off all day yesterday. Ate well, litter box normal, water normal but acted almost like she was depressed, very lethargic, possibly not feeling good but it didn't affect her appetite. I need advice, high number this morning, 0.9 ketones but eating well. My decision to raise her back to 1.5u after she earned a reduction, I didn't follow protocol and wonder if I messed her up. Need to know what to do going forward.
    Finish the 1.5u, do a curve and then determine the proper dosage? As discussed before, Dolly is extremely compliant about testing because she knows she will get her treats. I have tried 8 different freeze dried raw treats, she likes them but not as a reward for testing (she get Young Again Zero treats, less than 1% carbs but goes against TR). She walks away mad. I don't know how I get unstuck about the treats issue and start TR. I know her health is the most important thing. The whole dynamics of our life has changed due to Covid and being together 24/7, the three of us have become attached at the hip, I've lost perspective.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are following SLGS, there is some flexibility. Read the first part of this post by Libby, as well the quote bit by Jill. Once you know your cats, onset, nadir and duration, and response to food, you can experiment with the SLGS guidelines. Lowering the reduction point as you mentioned in your previous post, is something you can think about. Given how much you test, and how long you've been at this dance, it may be that 80 is a better number for Dolly. In which case, going back to 1.5 units is perfectly fine.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

The 0.9 for ketones on a meter are not high. When ketones are 2.44 on meter, getting to vet or ER is suggested. Me personally if meter read 1.5, I would call vet, make sure some extra fluids are getting in and kitty is eating. Monitor more closely.

4. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much. I read a lot of the posts attached to Libby and Jills posts as well. It’s so helpful to read others experience with diabetes. Dolly’s remission was not based on any really low numbers, it was more about consistent low numbers. I gave her Hills metabolic treats throughout and I no longer remember where that idea came from. They were certainly not low carb. I didn’t find this group until months after diagnosis. I didn’t follow any guidelines and my vet was little help. She wasn’t on board with much of anything I did regarding diabetes. Totally against all of my testing. This time I struggle a lot with wanting to make the right decisions and do what’s best for her health.I know I was hoping she would return to remission or at least better numbers by now. Other than the treats she only gets Fancy Feast pate. I received 2 - 2# bags of Dr Elsey’s when I decided to remove it from her diet. Thank you again for responding and for clarifying some aspects of SLGS and TR. Thank you for sending me the link to Libby and Jills posts. You are always so helpful. :bighug::bighug:

Have a wonderful evening. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Wendy&Neko likes this.
  5. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much for your input regarding ketones and fluids.