11/13 Chnoudi /Need help with dosing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melita & Chnoudi, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

I use the pen I've ordered 1/2 unit syringes, I ll have them tomorrow. But from yesterday, I saw a change!!!! I've risked a lot in the morning with the 3unit dose (the vet insisted this dosage) but everything was fine in the end. No insulin at night, today 208!!!!!! (I changed the canned food, I gave her Bozita 4 pack than Pro plan canned dm, I dont know if that made a difference...)
    So, What am I shooting now??? 2U or 1U?? Until tomorrow that I ll have the syringes..
    Yesterday I was shocked with the BG 37. I don't want to risk again today.... :/

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Because you have been giving so many different doses in the pm dose, it is hard to say what would be safest. If you had been giving 3 units twice a day for the last several days I would have said 2 units would be fine. But the pm shots have been 1, 2, 1, skip, 2 and skip and the am dose has been 3 units each time for the past 5 days. So the depot is all over the place. And he dropped to 37 in the am cycle yesterday
    We need to find a dose that will allow you to shoot both cycles with the same dose and it will be much easier to do that once you have the 1/2 unit syringes and not the pen.

You are very early in the journey and I think it would be safe and fine to give 1 unit until you get the 1/2 unit syringes and then we can find a better dose for Chnoudi. as long as there are no ketones in the picture.... can you confirm that please?

If you can get some tests in during both the cycles that will give us an idea how the insulin is working for him. Always try and get a before bed test in and if the BG is the same or lower than the preshot, that is a sign that it is going to be an active cycle and you will need to set the alarm and test again.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Thank you very much!! So, I shoot 1U and see what's going on..!!
    What are the ketones? How do I check for them?? Sorry, I'm totally irrelevant..pff
    And What does "active cycle" mean? :O

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

The 1 unit is just until you get the 1/2 unit syringes because the pen only goes up in 1 unit increments and you have a lower than normal AMPS.

Ketones can form in undiagnosed/ untreated diabetes cats and also in diabetic cats who are not getting enough insulin. If your vet did not mention them, your kitty probably doesn’t have them. But you can buy a bottle of Ketostix from a pharmacy and test the urine. It’s an easy test and it is definitely worth doing the test.

An active cycle is when the insulin brings down the BG just like yesterday morning in your SS, although they are not always so dramatic as that! It basically tells you that the BG is going to go down and you need to test the BG and pay attention.

You are doing fine....it is all so new in the beginning......we all started where you are.
    Remember to test in between the cycles as those BGs tell us how well the insulin is working and if we need to increase or decrease the dose.

Ask lots of questions, we are happy to help.
    Post every day with the BG results and you will be guided through it by experienced people.

6. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Your correspondence is so touching... Thank you soooo much!
    The vet didn't tell me about ketones, but this means nothing, because she doesn't seem to be an expert in feline diabetes. she advices me wrong all the time! So, I am going to make more tests and see. And something else, I'll stop then :p Is it possible for a food to be more effective than others? I speak about canned low-carb of course.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Low carb under 10% is best for diabetic cats.
    Can you get any of those foods inAthens?
    Mostly canned foods with gravy is higher carbs whereas pate canned food is lower carb

The 1 unit is not going to be high enough moving forward so you will need to get advice as to what to do once you get the 1/2 unit syringes. I just hesitate to suggest a higher dose at the moment after the 37 and the lower AMPS today.
    Keep asking questions :)

8. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

I found 2 that are included in the list they gave me in the fb page. (Integra for diabetics and Bozita. Bozita is gravy though) I started with Integra but it didn't seem to lower the BG. Then I googled for Pro Plan dm canned (not included in the list) and I saw that it contains 1,78% carb. I started this, but again no change.
    Yesterday I started Bozita.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you look at the ingredients as well that will give you a clue as to how high carb it is

Melita & Chnoudi likes this.
  10. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Yes I ve learned how to calculate the percentage by myself.. Bozita is not a clinical food. Maybe this make a difference.. Maybe Chnoudi responds better to low cost food :p