11/13 Ruby AMPS 314/+6 91/+11.5 88/PMPS 172/+1 176

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday.

Had a really hard time getting blood out of Ruby this morning. Went through 4 strips. :arghh: Ordered some higher gauge needles so maybe they will be sharper. Or perhaps I'm putting too much Neosporin and her skin is too slippery? Otherwise, she's eating well and being as sweet as can be.

Sending healing thoughts to all of the sick kitties and hugs to their beans! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. Colio

Colio Member

I find that first morning poke is the hardest one - and I hate it when I waste strips - wasted two this morning. Glad she's doing well - hope you have a great day! :):coffee:

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Morning Katherine and Ruby :bighug: Perhaps you know this but for lancets, you want a lower number gauge if you are having trouble. I use a 28 lancet (it's actually the alphatrak lancet device but there are a million options out there) - and some people like to freehand the poke (I like the lancet :p). For needles, you want a higher gauge (smaller needle). Also, I wipe off Neosporin before getting blood - I have more success this way. Hope that helps some - have a wonderful day :bighug:

4. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Susanne! I am using 28 gauge right now to freehand poke. I have some TruePlus lancets that are 28 but not very sharp, and then I have Microlet that are the same gauge but the bevels seem to be better cut on the needle itself. Having a lot of trouble with both, so it's probably not the gauge. I am also wiping off the Neosporin. Her little ears are so thin that I'm always afraid of going too deep, and then she flicks her ear which causes a lot of bleeding. Trying to get a large enough drop of blood without hurting her or getting her too annoyed--very fine line to be dancing all the time!

5. JaxBenji

ha, aren't all things feline-related lol. Have you seen this picture of the sweet spot? I stay in this range and switch ears. And I've gone through the ear before, hit the vein, you name it :p Jax is also a pro at shaking his head and making my bathroom look like a murder scene. I'm sure you'll figure it out :cat:

sweetspot.JPG

Lisa & Oberon and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  6. Katherine&Ruby

Yes, it was super helpful when I started. I go up and down the edges of both of her ears. Now they are a bit red and scarred, poor thing, from her flicking and the needle scratching her. It also never helps in the morning that I'm trying to do this very precision-oriented thing right before I've wiped the crusts from my eyes and before any caffeine intake.

JaxBenji likes this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

+6 = 91. Ruby’s surfing the Lantus wave. :D Would be thrilled to see her AM and PM BGs go consistently below 250. :cat:

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice slide today. I hope Ruby keeps surfing.

9. Katherine&Ruby

+11.5 = 88 (!) I believe "careening downhill" is the appropriate phrase here.

What should I do? I can keep an eye on her tonight and can give her a later shot tomorrow AM, so if stalling would be best I'm game. @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie @Red & Rover (GA)

UPDATE: PMPS = 172. Giving Ruby the full dose. This cat! :eek: Guess I got my wish for numbers lower than 250!

10. JaxBenji

FWIW, the +11.5 is flat from +6. That's neat Ruby held steady there :D Also, when I got a "new" number at a "new" time (e.g., a green close to pre-shot or a 50), I'd grab a second test to see if it was close to my first, just to rule out a wonky strip/not enough blood/too much blood/etc :p. I'll never forget shooting my first 50...my second strip was 51 :p

For next time, you may want to re-read (or print if you can in case the site is down or you don't have internet) the Handle Lower Pre-Shot Numbers sticky. It's super helpful.

Great surfing ruby, have a good night, Katherine!

11. Katherine&Ruby

I'm so proud of myself for having remembered the Handling Low Numbers post! I re-read it when I didn't get an answer from anyone, then decided to get another test before I gave up. I was close to skipping. I dunno how she went from 88 to 172, but at +1 she's now at 176, so I'm glad I got a second test and didn't skip.

Thanks for the super helpful input as always, Susanne, and have a great evening as well!

JaxBenji likes this.