11/16 Izzy amps 223, pmps 238 NovaMax Plus ketone question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Janet and Izzy (GA), Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Janet and Izzy (GA) Member

2. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Re: 11/16 Izzy amps 223

Got the NovaMax Plus today. Ran a BG reading against the ReLion Micro I normally use. Relion 226, NovaMax Plus 170. Got a Low reading for Ketones.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 11/16 Izzy amps 223, pmps 238

I hope Izzy has a ketone free day, today.
    I guess you know to add lots of water and make sure she eats. I don't know what you mean by low. I hope it's super low.

4. Janet and Izzy (GA)

the booklet says: If test result is lower than 0.1 mmol/L (Ket), the monitor displays “LO.” If test result is higher than 8.0 mmol/L (Ket), the monitor displays “HI.”

In between there...it will show an actual number.

Does anyone know what number = trace?

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 11/16 Izzy amps 223, pmps 238 NovaMax Plus ketone questi

good question. i don't have experience with ketones, but this will bump you up.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you look on the test strip foil packaging, it will tell you the ranges. As long as she is in green (or LO), I wouldn't worry. If she's in yellow, I'd try to get some urine and see if it is showing "trace" yet.

I think there were some issues with the BLOOD test strips so I wouldn't use those. The ketone strips were fine.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I found this information on the web. A couple of considerations. They seem to be saying that the Precision Xtra and NovaMax results are the same. Sharyn found that with her cat, Fiona, the results on the Precision Xtra were as follows:
    • **'Normal' for cats is 0.0-0.3 (Fiona's normal is 0.1, D & Shadow's normal is 0.3)
    • **3.0 is aproximately when ketones start showing on urine ketodiastix strips at a trace - at least that is the case for Fiona.
    • **As BG's go down so will ketone levels (in most cases). If I can get Fiona's BGs under 250 for even a couple of hours her ketone level will go down.
    • **Other than being DKA at dx, the only other time Fiona has had ketones above 1.0 was when she had some kind of infection. The first time (Aug 2008) was occult and we never figured out what it was but four rounds of different ABs finally took care of it. The second time (Dec 2008) was tooth problem even though she had an extensive dental in April '08. She had a pocket behind a canine and a broken tooth. Neither of which could be seen by the vet until she was under.
    • **Other cats get elevated ketones for other reasons, too high BGs for too long, etc...

The difference between the info in the link vs. from Sharyn/Fiona may be because one is with children and the other with cats. If you can gather your own data in terms of the Ketostix vs. the NovaMax that would be helpful for everyone.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi janet. based on sharyn/fiona's research, we used to think ketones showed up at a reading of 3.0. since then, a couple of studies have been published. the latest studies in cats indicate ketones will begin to show up at readings of 2.4 and 2.55 on a blood ketone meter. i've linked the studies below.

hope this helps...

Attached Files:

9. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Marje the reason I have the blood ketone meter is because Miss Izzy is very difficult to catch peeing. Somesome she doesn't even get up or try to get anywhere...she just pees in her sleep. So I am missing a slew of opportunities to test ketones :( Unless wringing out a cold puppy pee pad counts as testing :) I had to try something, hence the NovaMax meter was suggested.

10. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Izzy has never tested positive for ketones. Note even when her BG was over 800! so I am not sure how to do a comparison?

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes...I remember and I was the one that suggested you get a ketone meter. I thought, though, that perhaps occasionally she went to the box when you could catch her.

It seems that what Jill is quoting states that ketones start to show up in cats when the meter reads 2.4 to 2.5. I don't know if you would start seeing trace urine ketones at that point but ketones generally show up in blood before urine.

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

high numbers alone don't guarantee ketones. my understanding is that it's a combination of not enough insulin + infection + not enough food. cats can develop ketones at lower numbers.

so are you just checking to be on the safe side, or are you suspecting ketones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.