11/25/20 Chicamonkey AMPS 310 PMPS 298 /+2 268/+4 250

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

First post here in lantus forum. Chicamonkey (Monkey) was diagnosed 11/15 with bg 414 at the vet well visit. I told him she was drinking A LOT and peeing A LOT! All other labs normal.
    He prescribed Purina DM and NPH 2U BID.
    Then I found this group.
    By 11/19 I switched Monkey over to FF Classics only (Chewy refunded the purina DM and I donated it)
    I started lower than the vets recommended dose of NPH at 0.5 instead of 2(I’m a nurse).
    Her sugars would fluctuate so much 200-400 with +4 @ 70 and 90.
    Chris counseled me on the importance of a better insulin and helped me!
    First Lantus dose was 11/24 pm dose 30 mins after feeding PMPS 299. +4 was 267
    I will be patient as I am aware and hopeful of how much better this will be for her!
    I have 4 days off for the holiday and will manage her bg more closely.

Thank you all for the incredible work you do! This thanksgiving I’m extremely grateful and thankful for your knowledge and support!

love, Suzi and Chicamonkey

Attached Files:

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

:)

Good luck with the Lantus!

Suzi and Chicamonkey likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome to the LB&L forum! Best place you never wanted to be!

Sounds like you're well on your way to your journey with Lantus.

Quick question for you - what is '12F/S'?

Nice job with setting up your first post in this forum!

You may want to add your meter type to your sig and SS (human or AT2?) and which dosing method you're following TR vs SLGS? Otherwise we'll just keep asking you :)

Have a great day Suzi! :bighug:

4. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

Welcome to the forum! You are in great hands here, in addition to your experience as a nurse! You Chickamonkey is one fortunate kitty! Good luck with the Lantus. I will keep my fingers crossed for good results for your kitty. Mine has gone from 3.5u twice daily in August to .5u 2x daily with appropriate reductions due to the excellent advice here. I am hopeful we can get to remission. Best of luck to you, as well!

5. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Lol I tried adding in my signature line but it said I had too many lines!
    She’s 12 yrs old female spayed.
    I use a Care touch human meter

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. Glad you found this place. There are a lot of wonderful people here that are very caring and helpful. The signature line can be a pain. You have to smoosh everything into one line to get it all in.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. Monkey is adorbs. I love calicos (well all cats).

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Suzi! Great to have you over here now and off that NPH! Here's your last post
    and your introductory post

In the Lantus forum, we put the link to your prior thread into your current one so people can quickly go back and see the recent history and advice you've been givien. It's not so important this time since you're starting the Lantus and the other threads were when you were on NPH, but wanted to get you used to how we post here.

Your subject line should follow a basic format like this: Date, Cat's name, AMPS ###

As the day goes on, you "edit" the subject line to put new test results in. That way the people who are scanning the forum can easily see how each cat is doing and if they see one they're concerned about, will comment on that one first.

When you have a little time, it's a good idea to go through and read other people's threads. Sometimes there will be a question that you didn't even think of to ask or an explanation about something that will help you understand something better.

Sometime soon, you'll need to decide on a dosing method too. Either Tight Regulation or Start Low, Go Slow.

TR gives the best chance at remission, but can require more testing....after your first 5-7 days of "filling the depot", you can increase the dose as often as every 3 days if you're not getting the results you want.

With SLGS, you hold the dose for 7 days before running a curve and possibly changing the dose. The bad part of this method is you have to stay on the same dose for 7 days even if she's running in higher numbers than you'd like.

You can pick one and change your mind later if it turns out the one you choose just isn't right for you and Monkey.

You have some time to decide if you need it since you're still on the loading dose so don't feel like you need to decide today.

So happy you're on a better insulin and hopefully Monkey will like it better too!

9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA) is awesome.
    Take a look at Chris's signature. You can get a lot of information on one line.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi since you are now using lantus can you edit your SS stating lantus and the date
    Also on your SS someone might not notice it in your remarks column
    You can put a / lantus 11/25 where you have NPH :cat:

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh! LOL! I had no idea...

Thanks for moving that to your signature - yep, you gotta play around with abbreviations a bit on that one...you can look at what other people write on theirs - I actually think you can get a good bit on there...just look around and sorta adopt what we all have and go from there :)

See your new post tomorrow!

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome! Another favour to request, could you put a blank line between yesterday and today on the spreadsheet. Then put something like "start Lantus" on that line, so we can see at a glance when you made the change.

Don't look at my signature as an example. :p You can do run on single lines too.

13. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Done ✅ thank you!!

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I see you put a line in, but it's kind of hard to see and notice.

If you look at 4/1 on THIS spreadsheet you'll see what I did to make sure it stood out when I was testing Basaglar on China

15. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Lol Chris! You are testing my spreadsheet abilities!
    Done ✅
    Happy thanksgiving