11/26 Bootsy Girl BG = 458 looking for dosing advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bootsy Girl, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

Looking for help on dosing for My cat. 11 years old diagnosed with diabetes last Thursday. Her numbers climbed to 458 this morning based upon 9am test. Her insulin was increased from 1 unit to 2 units prob too fast. How long should I wait before I give her more insulin and how much should I give?

2. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Hi Bootsy Girl - since you are new, it will be helpful if you add the photo of your recent readings so folks understand that this is high compared to what you have seen before, and that your vet is having you adjust doses more frequently than normal.

Cinnie

3. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

4. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

@carfurby @Olive & Paula Can you look at this - I don't think @Bootsy Girl has any serious issue, but she is new to FD and is trying to navigate what things mean. For me 458 doesn't seem dangerously high, but the dosage that her vet has suggested seems high. Do you think she should reduce it to try to get a better baseline?

Bootsy Girl likes this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Let me look.

6. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

She is on Lantus - she was posting in Facebook group and we encouraged moving discussion over here.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Looks like you having bringing her to your vet for a check every few days and he’s upping her dose way too fast. Are you testing at home? What kind of meter if you are?

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  8. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

This is her trends so far
    im using Alpha Trak2.

9. Olive & Paula

I deleted my comment because it wouldn't let me edit, statement was wrong.

Numbers are NOT dangerously high. A bit wonky.

@Bootsy Girl you need to hold the initial dose for 7 days. I think I would drop dose to 0.5 or 1 unit and keep that for 7 days. What do others think?

Lantus is a depot insulin, it needs to build its reservoir. If your home testing you don't need to see the vet for glucose checks. If vet is raising that much that fast, it will create a dangerous situation, you need to monitor closely if that continues.

Can you set up a spreadsheet for us? It's the only way we can see what is happening. A little bit housekeeping here. Your profile you put type of insulin, meter. Date of diagnosis, any other important info so you won't have to repeat all the time.

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/creating-a-fdmb-profile.159626/

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

My links are not working.

Cinnie Cole and tiffmaxee like this.
  10. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

She is very hungry, I cooked her some fried chicken breast and chicken liver and fed her at 9 after testing and insulin. She is begging for more food. When should I feed her again?

11. tiffmaxee

The AT reads higher than human meters. Be sure to download the spreadsheet for the AT. Then plug is all the test results you have. F you need any help setting it up we have people that can get you set up in just a few minutes. Let me know.

What are you feeding kitty?

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

Yes, feed her. How’s her weight? If she’s too thin you need to feed her as much as she wants but pick up food 2 hours before dosing insulin so the test is not food influenced.

Bootsy Girl and Cinnie Cole like this.
  13. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I agree - I would drop to 1 unit and see what the numbers look like over the week.

Bootsy Girl likes this.
  14. tiffmaxee

15. Olive & Paula

Diabetes will cause insatiable appetite until glucoses get under control. Be careful on the fried chicken. It's probably to high in carbs, fat, and depending on seasoning just not good choice.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

What dose depends on what you are feeding and possibly her weight as well as if there has been a diet change in the last week. Are you feeding any dry food?

17. Olive & Paula

Friskies or Fancy Feast pate. No gravy or sauces. Is best. Let him eat when he wants. Just no food 2 hrs prior to shot time blood test.

18. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

Thank you so much. I’m going to feed her again right now.

19. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

It was boiling chicken breast and then I fried it with a little butter along with the chicken liver. I thought that was okay. I’m lost, should I just give her the Tiki wet food and no extra meat? I’m trying to give her meat snacks in between her reg feedings of tiki I didn’t add any seasoning or anything

20. Bootsy Girl

Bootsy Girl New Member

I haven’t fed her any dry food since the diagnosis only tiki after dark chicken and duck and meat for snacks in between

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  21. tiffmaxee

Feeding her chicken is fine. I just wouldn’t fry it although frying it will not effect the bg. Were you feeding dry before diagnosis? Eliminating that alone can help lower the bg.

22. Olive & Paula

Boiled is fine. I wouldn't fry it though.

23. tiffmaxee

Even better gently bake it. Boiling removes some of the nutrients.