? 11/26 Milo AMPS 119-no eating

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-25-milo-amps-131.239094/#post-2686561

Good morning! I have a new situation...

Milo wasn't eating much yesterday so I gave him Mirtazapine after he refused dinner. He ate 1/2 can of LC for after that and another approx 1/4 can food overnight. Usually that will make him hungry for the next two days. However, he's refusing to eat this morning after being offered a few different choices. Can I give him another little dose of mirtazapine?? Today is my late night and I won't be home until 7pm and his shot will be approx 1 hour late.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Does he appear to be feeling sick?

Have you tried raising the bowl?
    Hand feeding him.
    Sprinkling some freeze dried treats on top.
    Oregano or parmesan sprinkled on top can also encourage them to eat.

I don't know about using the mirtz again.
    Sorry

3. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

He seems quite normal. I'll try raising the bowl. I'm out of Fortiflora and he has gone off of the freeze dried treats... I'll try your other suggestions. He did nibble a little bit of the third bowl of food I tried. I have to leave in 15 mins so I'll figure out something

4. Gill & George

With George when he was feeling sick he would take good if I hand fed, that sometimes got him going.

With my other non diabetic cat, I've tried the liver shake, when he's stopped eating. That seems to work a treat for getting his appt going again.

5. Gill & George

6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I did too. Don't forget to get the feeding syringes too. I was only able to find these on Amazon, no where locally had them. Finally got one from my vet but had to wait through the weekend as they were closed when I needed it.

You can also freeze the left overs in ice trays to use later.

Good to see ya Gill :bighug:

CB Terri and Gill & George like this.
  7. Gill & George

Ha you just answered something I was asking myself just last week when I made up the liver shake for Felix, I wondered if I could freeze it.

happy thanksgiving:kiss:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Gill & George likes this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can get Milo eating better. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

10. Gill & George

Been busy at home. Sick foster dog, sick cats, all better now, and then the veggie garden. It's hard to get back in swing of things when you've been away for s while. Nice to see everyone too

11. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I haven't used mirtz, but if you think it isn't working for him anymore maybe he needs to see a vet or maybe he needs a different appy stim. I use cyproheptadine for Butters.
    I wish I could get Butters to enjoy the liver shake. I've tried making it twice, and both times she has run away from it and anything I have mixed it into. :facepalm:

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Mirtazapine only lasts about 9 hours in the cat. You are good to give daily. I hope Milo finally ate for you. :bighug: