11/27 Henry AMPS 370 + 5.5 340 PMPS @ 6:15 pm 365 +5.5 326

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Golf2015, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Golf2015

Golf2015 Well-Known Member

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I missed all the excitement last night! I read the condo and you and @Butters & Lyla did a super job. Thank you, Lyla, for being there, stepping in, and helping Robert. Thanks also to @Bandit's Mom for jumping in to help so Lyla could get some sleep. I feel a little guilty missing the action while I was celebrating the holiday with my DH :confused: .

Congrats on the reduction and now the bounce today let’s you all catch up on some rest and gives Henry a pokey break.

I’m sure you are wondering where we go from here and I have an answer :p Or more than one if you have questions which I’m sure you will.

• Henry has finally reached a breakthrough dose meaning a dose that can get him into green BGs.
    • We no longer need to modify the approach to fast track him so that means you will need to start following the SLGS guidelines unless you decide to remove the dry and do TR (which I recommend because it will give him faster progress).
    • You will hold this new dose for one full week, unless he drops below 90 again, and then run a curve which is a test every two hours for 12 hours. At that time, we can decide whether the dose needs to go up or down.
    • If he drops below 90, let’s see when he does it. Although SLGS does not address back-to-back reductions, we want to think about it if he earns another reduction in the next cycle or so.
    • It is normal if he goes up and down around a dose. In other words, we often see a kitty earn a reduction, and then have to go back up to the last good dose only to earn a reduction, and perhaps again go back up to the last good dose. So if this happens, don’t get discouraged. It’s normal. Let’s hope he just might be one that likes to just earn reductions.
    While I am not trying to push or pressure you into removing the dry food and doing TR, keep in mind that with SLGS, if the reduction fails, we wait the entire week until you do a curve to increase. I’m not a fan of SLGS if it is at all possible to do TR because it often leaves cats in higher numbers than they need to be for a longer time and thus you can get some glucose toxicity. I’m also not a fan of dry food of any sort and not just because of the carbs. If you haven’t read Dr. Lisa’s post on dry food, it’s worth the time spent. If you decide to switch him entirely to wet, there are resources to help with that and I can link them for you at that time.

I’m sure you are tired and I don’t want to throw too much at you at once. Let me know what questions you have on what I’ve posted.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Bandit's Mom and Butters & Lyla like this.
  3. Golf2015

OK,

My wife and I believe the total wet food diet is a very real possibility
    We believe the transition to 100% wet is not going to be difficult

Now having said that any wet food (not a fan of any - deserves research) with 10% or less would fit the TR protocol?
    We're going to add Fancy Feast wet food ( give Henry some variety) to his diet and it appears what we've looked at are 8% or less

Thank You so much for you and the others being here to mentor me.
    All of you folks are TRULY WONDERFUL !!!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Golf2015

Slowly starting transition to 100% wet Food 10% or less carbs
    Ratio of food 66 calories (wet) & 14 calories (dry) kibble Dr. Elsey @ PMPS 6:15pm EST

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great decision! Yes but I usually recommend avoiding fish. It’s really not good for cats and can have effects to liver if fed too often. Keep in mind that any food “with gravy” is probably more than 10% calories from carbs. You might ask around for food suggestions and can even post it here by changing the subject line to add at the end “food suggestions needed” and see who responds. I’ve fed raw for years so I’m not acquainted with what is out there and I’d have to do the same research as you.

It’s a really amazing and caring community. Everyone just pays it forward. We all remember what it was like to be new at this.

7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I was happy that I could help out! :woot: Like Marje said, we all pay it forward.

Robert, since you'll now be following SLGS or TR guidelines as written, I recommend you start spending some time visiting and reading through other cats' threads in this forum and look at their spreadsheets (links are in our signatures). It is a very good way to learn and become more comfortable with the SLGS dosing method and TR protocol.

8. Golf2015

Lyla I looked at several spreadsheets (SLGS) and they seem to be at a constant battle with the amount of insulin.

Do some folks have some stability with respect to amount of insulin?

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There is a saying here ECID or every cat is different. A cat needs however much insulin they need, and that dose can change over time and things change within the cat. As an outlier example, Neko's "good dose with good nadirs" varied from 8.75 units, slowly down to 0.75 units, then back up to 7.0 units, then back down over time to 0.25 units. All over the space of about 4.5 years. Having said that, there was a couple times she was on the same dose for a couple months.

The amount of changing of dose you do also depends on your goals with the cat. Some people are happy with looser regulation and with higher nadirs. Some folks are focused on tight regulation with the hope of remission, in which case they want to see their cats in as much green as safely possible.

Sue and Luci and Butters & Lyla like this.