11/27 Jax PMPS 84,+2 80,+4 75

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JaxBenji, Nov 27, 2020.

1. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Turkey day was fun, but now it's time to get back to work, Jaxy :cat:

We watched the parade, the dog show (I now want an affenpinscher :p), and hours of football. Much more relaxed not traveling or having company. Now, time to bring out our Christmas decoration and find our elf :D

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice holiday was had by all! And Jax looks like he's back at work already. Nice to see the turkey and trimmings didn't impact his BG numbers.:)
    have a great day.

JaxBenji likes this.
  3. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Susanne, looking good Jax. Have fun decorating .
    Have a good day :bighug::bighug::cat:

JaxBenji likes this.
  5. Colio

Colio Member

Every time I watch the dog shows I find a new breed that I want!!

Hope it's a good day :)

JaxBenji likes this.
  6. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. Have fun decorating for Christmas :) Keep your furry bum in that lagoon Mr. Jax :D Happy Friday :)

JaxBenji likes this.
  7. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

how was the pie?

JaxBenji likes this.
  8. JaxBenji

We declared the best pie ever. The excellent taste to low prep ratio was quite high...maybe like 9:2 (I mean I had to bake a store-bought pie crust and mix ingredients and use the microwave :p). It firmed up with gelatin vs egg. And we have half of it to eat today :woot:

Cheryl & Jazzy and JOJI and Kit like this.
  9. JaxBenji

@tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko Any thoughts on increasing back to 1u? Jax has been at 0.75u for 14 cycles now (increased from failed reduction to 0.5u) and while I know he's tightly regulated (hurray!), I was hoping for a shot at OTJ should it be in the cards. Thank you for all of your help!

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He is trending higher than he has been. I think you have room to increase because you test a lot and watch him closely. I’d like to see what Wendy or Marje thinks though.

JaxBenji likes this.
  11. JaxBenji

Thanks, Elise :bighug: Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

@Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie - What do you all think about increasing Jax in the AM?

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

That is a beautiful SS! I love it when I see one like this where the liver snaps. You’ve done a great job, Suzanne.

Since you test like you do, I agree you could take him up to 1u. One of the mentors here when I was new told me that it’s reasonable, when you have this sea of green, to decide what nadir you are comfortable with and then hold the dose. So, if you can ignore the blue bookends and you like the flatness and stability around the nadir, it wouldn’t be wrong to hold the dose. If you don’t mind potentially lower nadirs, you can increase to 1u. As you probably know, the AMPS is often the last number to come down but he did have all green PSs on 1u before.

I found with Gracie that sometimes it just took a cycle or two at a little higher dose to kickstart her and then she’d quickly earn a reduction.

If he were lower in dose (0.1u) we would suggest a feeding trial while on that small dose to see if his pancreas was working but his dose needs to be much lower to do that.

We also watched the dog shows and our male kitty, Tobey, sat on the TV stand right in front of the TV (which is 65”) and watched the dogs, even occasionally jumping up and swatting them especially during the trials. It was hysterical. I also liked the affenpinscher, the miniature American shepherd, and the black dog named Smudge that is a Pumi.

JOJI and Kit and JaxBenji like this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck if you increase the dose.

JaxBenji likes this.
  14. JaxBenji

Thanks Marje for taking the time to respond :bighug: Looks like I'll nudge him back up in the morning to see what 1u does.

Ah, haven't heard this bit of advice before - I like that guidance.

On this, are you referring to feeding at +9ish? I have been doing that but am wondering if maybe I shouldn't be until he's a much lower dose? I have been giving a snack at +9/+10 for a while - at first it was because he'd double-dip at PMPS. Then, the snack was suggested to help with the blue preshots on a different dose but perhaps that was pre-emptive. He does often come down from his +9ish number (like today) but is that the snack or just double-dipping?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Pretty SS.:D
    Correct, that was too early. Wait until he's closer to 0.1 units before adding that +9ish snack.

I agree with Marje. :) With nadirs in the 70's, you have a wee bit of room for that increase.

Marje and Gracie and JaxBenji like this.
  16. JaxBenji

Thank you :bighug:

And got it on the 9ish snack. I'll move his food around so he's done around +6.

17. Marje and Gracie

This has been an urban legend that keeps circulating around here and was being said when we were new. The only time a +9 snack will help bring PSs down is for a cat that is basically ready to go OTJ on a tiny dose and is just hanging on to blue PSs or even just a blue AMPS. Other than that, it actually works to put the brakes on the duration of the insulin.

I’d get rid of it and try to feed before nadir as the last meal unless you are dealing with really low numbers that you have to feed.

Good luck with the new dose!

JaxBenji likes this.
  18. JaxBenji

Thanks for saying that - so his nadir is around +4 usually so I'll change his feeding so he'll be done around +3...we'll see how this goes over...good thing loves food :p

Thanks for your help Elise, Wendy, & Marje :bighug:

PS - Marje - my daughter wanted me to tell you her favorite was the Golden Retriever <3

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  19. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome and tell your daughter I agree...the golden retriever was gorgeous.

JaxBenji likes this.
  20. tiffmaxee

I love Goldens!

JaxBenji likes this.
  21. tiffmaxee

Just saw the affenpinscher. I want one.

thebigfuzz and JaxBenji like this.