11/4 - Leo AMPS 300 +3 423

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan Shropshire, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Susan Shropshire

Susan Shropshire Member

I am getting so frustrated. Just when it seems we are making progress I start seeing these jumps into the 400s. With a pre-shot of 300 and eating a basically 1% carb food, his numbers shouldn't be in the 400s at +3???? I would have thought it would be around 300 or maybe lower.

I know they say you have bounces as their bodies adjust to the lower numbers but I would think we are passed that point now. He has had lower numbers but we keep going into the 400s. His blood sugar without anything and on a high-carb diet was only in the mid 400s.

At what point do I start to see if it's working to bring his numbers down? It seemed like we were making progress with a few yellows and blues but now we are back into the 400s??????? Is it the increase in his dose? I wouldn't think he would drop so low in 3 hours to cause it to jump that quickly.

It seemed he was doing better on 5.5 units.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like Leo could bouncing. Bounces can take six cycles after lows (those blues) to resolve. Typically when the numbers go up after preshot, there are just a couple reasons why that happens. The most common one is a bounce. If you have a skip or reduced dose (fur shot), then the insulin from the previous cycle has worn off and that's another reason the numbers go higher. Did you dose last night? The spreadsheet entry for PMPS units is blank.

3. Susan Shropshire

Susan Shropshire Member

I did do his injection last night, I just forgot to add it to the online spreadsheet. I keep a paper spreadsheet in the drawer with the supplies and mark it there first.

So his last blue number was at +6 on Monday night, so 6 cycles would be through tonight? Should I expect lower numbers tomorrow?
    He did get his injection this morning and was at 300 AMPS. He ate his normal food which is low-carb.

Will he continue to have these bounces until he stays in the yellow & blues for awhile? I understand that it's his body thinking the numbers are too low, but I was thinking it normally corrected itself within 3 days or so? Does the NDW occur at each increase? So I started the 6 units yesterday morning so for a couple of days I could see higher numbers?

I am trying to be encouraged that I have finally started to see blues for the first time but then I get those reds and it's deflating.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Reason for edit: clarification
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I wish cats were that predictable. But I would definitely keep an eye out tonight and tomorrow. First blues were six cycles ago. There is also something we affectionately call New Dose Wonkiness that means there can be higher numbers the day after an increase. We don't know why, but it could be due to the depot changing. Anyway, that should be over tonight too. So hoping you'll see better numbers soon.

It's also hard to say how long cats will be bouncy, mine took forever, but at least she lowered the height of her bounces once she started spending some solid time in safe greens and lower blues. The actual bounce lasts up to six cycles, but being bouncy can take a while, or not. It really depends how long cats have been in higher numbers and how used to them their bodies are. For a lot of us, our cats were diabetic for a while before being diagnosed.

5. Susan Shropshire

Susan Shropshire Member

Thank you. So I could be seeing the NDW since I increased yesterday. I am so thankful I found this group. We were getting such bad advice from the vet, and he has been in higher numbers (mostly 300s) for the last 2 years. I will just pray that we see mostly yellows, blue & maybe some greens starting in the next day or so. It is a good sign I guess that I am starting to at least see a couple of blues. He hasn't really had those numbers at any time, so anything under 300 is better than where he has been.