? 11/8 Chino|Thoughts on NOT taking a reduction?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Adrian and Chino, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

Last post: 10/29?

I thought the workload would be going back to normal last week, after the project wrapped up from the week before. I was dead wrong. Our 5-person team is now a 4-person team, but the workload is the same, and now another project is moving forward. This makes me less able to monitor, so to make a long story short, this is why I think Chino went too low today:

1. I didn't recognize high/flat as a sign that he might be preparing to come down from a bounce when I gave 2 units of R 4 hours before the AM dose.
    2. A pattern I've seen several times on the PM cycle: If his BG doesn't rise high enough in the first few hours before onset, he goes much lower than usual.
    3. When I tested/fed at +4, my intention was to add a +5 reminder to my Outlook calendar. I got back to my desk to find that a critical ticket had been opened the minute I stepped away - and I'm on call today. I was juggling incidents until my 15-minute reminder went off for a +6. If I had been able to get a +5, I would've intervened sooner and kept him in safe numbers.

That's why I'm reluctant to reduce, since this appears to be driven by the circumstances surrounding the event (as opposed to the dose being too high). If anyone sees it differently, or sees something on his SS that I might be overlooking, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Missed you Adrian.

With a number in the 30's, I would take a reduction. No question about it. In case it's too much insulin, you don't want that depot getting ahead of you. And it sounds like work isn't getting any easier.
    I found that one true for Neko on Lev too.

Dyana likes this.
  3. Adrian and Chino

Thanks! I didn't see this until after I gave his AM dose but I'll be super cautious today and will reduce the dose tonight.

Dyana likes this.
  4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy, just to be safe take the reduction, especially since you using an AlphaTrak.

5. Adrian and Chino

Thanks, I reduced tonight's dose. I only use the AT2 when the Relion Confirm gives me a low number so I can see if he's truly hypoglycemic (and so I can prove to my vet that most of the time, he's NOT actually hypoglycemic). He only went down to 62 on the AT2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.