12/01/2022, SAM, AMPS 130, PMPS 122

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chuckstables, Dec 2, 2022.

1. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Hello,

So hopefully I've done the formatting right. If I haven't please let me know; I have limited time to dedicate to this, if I've screwed up just let me know and I'll fix it next time.

So I wasn't able to do a midday shot due to working at the office today. Concerned about hypoglycemia; he ate a couple hours before his AMPS reading, and he ate before his PMPS reading (1.5 hours before, in the morning he ate 2 hours before).

He's eating mainly Friskies Chicken Pate wet food, and dry food (purina proplan DM, 18% carbs) as a special treat. I put it at the top of his cat post to make him stand straight up to get it. His leg muscles atrophied massively while he was undiagnosed; to the point that currently he struggles to jump up on the couch/bed. Since I started this he'll stand straight up leaning on the post, and his leg strength improved.

Anyways; any suggestions for when I should test? Can't do it midday tmrw; can do it midday on Sat/Sunday/ next week as I work from home one week then the office the next week.

Thank you all for your kindness and support. It means so much to me.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You do not want to feed in the 2 hours before the shot - that way your PS readings are not food influenced. Do you have an autofeeder for when you are at work?

This is diabetic neuropathy. It resolves once you see better levels in blood sugar. For some cats it may take a little longer for the neuropathy to resolve. Some caregivers have found that giving their cats a supplement of methycobalamin B12 helps with the neuropathy.

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/feline-diabetic-neuropathy-weak-back-legs.178252/

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

What time do you shoot? Do you have to leave for work soon after the shot? Do you have the flexibility to shoot a little early so that you can get a +1.5 or +2 before you leave for work? Or will that mean that you cannot get home in time for the PM shot? It would be good to get a "before bed" test in the PM cycle (at least 2 hours after the PM shot).

4. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

I doubt it’s neuropathy; it’s literally just that he doesn’t use them. Vet said that it’s expected given the massive muscoskeletal mass loss at diagnosis; he went from 12.2 lbs to 9.5 in about 9 months. He walks just fine; it’s the actual mass of his hind muscles. He can run, walk, jump just fine. It’s just muscle mass; he walks with a normal gait. I play with him for 45 minutes per day. Before he had almost no muscle. I should post before and after photos, he looks skeletal before. Still ashamed i didn’t pick up on it.

I feed him in the AM when he wakes me up crying for food. the crying in the AM started a few weeks ago honestly. I do my best with what i have. I struggle with alcohol; i’ve cut back a lot but still it’s hard to get up early for me. Cut back by about 40%, so that’s good. Still; it’s hard. Making progress though. I work from home next week; i can mid day test then.

The problem is how vocal he is when hungry. If i’m working from home (i’m on the phones for my entire day) then i have to feed him if he starts yelling at me.

I shoot at 9:30am to 9:40 am, and same time PM. I work at 10:05 am. Could i shoot earlier? Maybe i guess. That’d require not much of a change in my sleep schedule honestly. But I could shoot at 7:00am, feed him some wet food, and shoot when I get home which is 7pm? That actually could work.

Is that okay?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Get a test between +4-6 when possible. I’d get a +2 tonight as explained by Bhooma yesterday. If lower get a before bed test and set set an alarm for a mid cycle.

6. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

I wish I could, but he’s too skiddish after i just tested him. I just tried; he was too resistant for me to be okay with it. I want to help him; but not if it makes him scared of me. He’s going to the vet tmrw to check out his weeping eye; vet offered to check it out for free given she examined him 2 months ago and i forgot to ask it. As a result i’m medicating him with gabapentin, not sure if that will affect things. He freaks the F out when i bring the carrier out, so the vet tells me to give him 1.5 ML’s of gabapentin 3 hrs before. I have to wake up then at 5:30 am, his appt is 8:30 am, i dosed at 9:45 pm, so i could wake up at 2:30 to test?