12/08- Djoko - AMPS 565; +4 253

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/24-06-djoko-pmps-254-3-75-72-127-4-5.231429/
    Not sure this is my last post. It's beena while.

Hi!

Seems that Djoko is a bouncer regardless of the fact that he is fed every 2 hours. Pattern seems to be that when he has a lower PS, he wil get into good/lower numbers and bounces for days. I have tried to feed the curve and will try again with the implant which will make it easier. I have not found any other relevant patterns so far. I got used to the idea that that is going to be it.

Question of today: When is a good time to test during day cycle? What else could we learn by testing at another time?

Yes, data are missing! The two weeks correspond to when he had a libre.

Thanks!Merci!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I thinkI would take him up to 1.75 or even 1.75f. He’s so high so much of the time and since he’s over a year diabetic it’s three in the 40’s or once under 40 to earn a reduction. He’s on a special diet now eating brown rice so that may mean he will need more insulin.
    As for more testing I’m honestly not sure. I hope others will chime in. When do you feed him besides before shots?

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

4. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

He eats the same food all the time now : brown rice, horse, a bit of veggies with oil and salt. I need to add supplement but he hates it.
    I think 1.50ff = 1.75. Maybe I was not ready to acknoledge he is having 1.75.
    I am just concerned to give him this dose when he is in the yellow. In the black, I have no issues.
    Is it possible to vary the dose just a bit based on PS - I know dosing is based on nadir but very unlikely that his nadir would be 4 if he is at 30.

5. tiffmaxee

He’s going to be deficient in important nutrients if he doesn’t get the supplement. You may need to syringe it.

Lantus likes consistency. Besides if you vary the dose there’s no guarantee he won’t drop. I would think you would want to see at least more blue. It’s scary at first to see lower numbers. After awhile they become addictive.

6. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I am very fine with blue and green now. But they come randomly. I hate the blacks and reds - trust me!I was discouraged with his PS tonight.

7. tiffmaxee

I know it’s discouraging. I think you need to get a tad braver about shooting those lower numbers for him. That’s the only way to try and get him used to better numbers.

8. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I started to seringe it but I cannot do this every day. He hates it. I hope the vet will find a better alternative.

9. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Now I shoot low numbere although there are not low comparing to other cats. Vet used to say under 8 I should not shoot. But I have shooted him when he was at 9 and it did not go too bad. He seems to do better at 9.7 PS than 15. I never know what to expect.
    Last time, when he went into the 50s on human meter, I gave him the full dose. He has been high since but I did it because sometimes he bounces anyway so mind as well take the chance. I hope he will get better someday.

10. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

8 - 144 in US values.
    9.7 is 176
    15= 271

11. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

It looks like that new diet is taking a bit of a toll on Djoko's #s along with some bouncing. His #s seem to have steadily climbed since the food switch. You get a few good blue #s that are generally preceded by a lower PS #. There was a couple of instances that he hit blue when starting red. He could have been trying to break a bounce early in the cycle...hit the beach(blue) and decided, nope this ain't for me...bounce starts.
    Since you're feeding this new diet because you have to for Djoko's medical issues, I wonder if trying to feed him more heavily in the beginning of the cycle could help. It's when the insulin is the most potent and you don't have a choice about the carbs your feeding so..... It could help slow his drops, when they do occur, thus helping the bounces from what his body perceives as low #s. Just got to get him back into some consistent blues/greens for his body to stop freakin out. This may need to take place gradually.
    Sorry just being nosey and trying to figure his cycles out;)

12. Briere Fur Mom

Another thought....is it possible for you to get +2 tests? That test can be a good indicator of how Djoko's cycle might unfold. When you got that 3.7 a couple of days ago, testing at +2 could have caught that big drop allowing you to intervene with a snack. The snack, depending on carb content, should have slowed his descent. Ease him into better #s. This type of approach can help the bounces begin to subside.

13. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

No no please go ahead. I appreciate your suggestions! I was wondering if this is how I was able to get better cycles with the Libre. Because it shows you when he is dropping very quickly (it indicates a steap downward arrow) so because I was concerned, I would feed him more to slow it down. It did not always work but I feel he has his best cycles while on the Libre and maybe this is no coincidence. He has one good cycle recently where he started in the yellow, went into the green and was in the yellow at PS. Dont't remember what I did differently on that specific day.

I used to take more +2. When he is in the yellow for his PS, it could help. But lets take the cycle on July 28. It seems fine to me in terms of normal drop but still his following PS was in the black.

Icannot give him snacks because he is on a special diet (trial for IBD). I asked the vet and he said don't feed anything else but you can give him more when his drop is steaper.

Thank you :).

14. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Also, I told the vet I was concerned with the increase of carbs. He said after couple of weeks, we would look at BG curves. But because he went low 2 days ago or so, I am wondering what he will say. I am not sure if it is the diet or not still. Do you think it is a factor?

15. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I will try that!

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

HI Marj. I am concerned you are feeding a very unbalanced diet to Djoko.
    What is the reason you needed to go off canned food?

17. Briere Fur Mom

You can make the food he eats snacks, unless of course he has to eat a predetermined amount at set times. You get the idea of trying to slow him down. The big drops... as little as 100 pts in 2 hours will make a lot of cats bounce.

When #s are steeply dropping and your food may not be doing the trick...Karo Syrup/Maple Syrup or honey applied to the gums enters the bloodstream via the tissue in the mouth, lips. It doesn't get digested in the stomach. As long he doesn't eat it, I don't see why that might interfere with his IBD or pancreatitis flares. Ask your vet. Someone else on the board should know for certain.

It's possible he could have hit greens when you were sleeping. That could have caused him to bounce because it had been a while since he had seen a green. Or he may have spent longer time at the beach then what he's been use to recently. we can only guess because of lack of the data. I'm not fussing about the lack of data that night btw;) Who the heck is going to stay up and test all night unless there's a problem:p We have to try to think of the "missing" data as logically as we can. You know what happened before you went to bed. you woke up to a black PS. Only thing that makes sense to me is lower #s/duration than what Djoko is use to.

18. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Hi! It is a recommendation from the internet because Djoko has CKD, ongoing pancreatitis and IBD. She referred to a vet-nutritionist teaching at the University in Montreal to prepare a diet that would address Djoko's needs. As mentionned, I am having issues with giving him supplments these days but gave it to him my seringe yesterday. What do you think it is no well lbalanced?

19. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Yes. The Libre will help fill out those gaps.

20. Briere Fur Mom

Bron has likely gone to bed(Australia). I'm sure she'll stop by your condo tonight. Do you mind starting a new condo for today? It keeps things organized. ;)