12/11 Oberon PMPS 86, +1 128, +2 121, +3 107, +4 109, +5 95, +6 142

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

yesterday: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...27-9-340-pmps-368-2-364-4-327-5-5-343.239823/

Still stuck in the high numbers, it seems. He seems to be his usual self this morning, so whatever might have been going on last night is done, I hope. I'm testing out 0.5 U of R this morning. I know a while ago I said I wanted to get down to a Lantus dose that needed to be supplemented with R, so maybe this is it?

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hope Oberon continues to feel better and shakes those pinks! And he's such a cutie :cat: Have a great day, Lisa :bighug:

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  3. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I am sorry about the high numbers but relieved to hear he is his usual self to start the day :bighug:. Always nice when there is a fleeting and very short lived issue. He looks like I felt after some vending machine snacks yesterday....LOL!

Have a great Friday :)

Lisa & Oberon and Butters & Lyla like this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

That pic of Oberon yesterday showed similar signs of pain that I see in Butters' face and ears:(. I'm so glad he is back to his usual self this morning, even if his numbers are higher right now. Hopefully the R + Lantus combo brings him back down today.
    Have a great day!:bighug:

5. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

My $0.02-
    The IAA has broken. Two other possible reasons for the high numbers are Glucose toxicity or some underlying infection/inflammation. One is his teeth and gums, which we already discussed. Another is his history of pancreatitis. I personally don’t have experience with pancreatitis but could he be having a flare up? If so it could be causing him pain which can raise BG.

6. Lisa & Oberon

The teeth are a real possibility. He also spent some time yesterday and the day before shredding a cardboard box, so maybe his gums are sore from that. Pancreatitis is always a possibility as well, though so far I'm not seeing any other obvious signs of it. I think it's time to call the vet. He's also overdue for shots, so I'm thinking I'll start with my regular vet, who can do bloodwork, give the shots, and take a quick look at his teeth to see if there's anything obvious besides just needing a cleaning. I'll discuss the dental work with him, but if he's at all uncomfortable with doing it for a diabetic cat or doesn't do x-rays, I'll call the dental dept at the ER hospital.

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Lots of good info on p-tits here

8. Lisa & Oberon

Apparently the R threat wasn't enough... I had to threaten a vet visit to get him to come down. 275 at +4, so down about 120 from preshot. We'll see soon if this is just an R effect or the start of a dive.

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

May not be the case for Oberon, but I discovered Ts desire to chew was part of his GI/pancreas issue. An integrative vet told me that cats will often do it to stimulate the gums as a means of helping digestion/stomach upset/discomfort/nausea. Sure enough, we saw that Ts desire to chew was in fact linked to after he ate (or not that long after) or when he was not feeling well. Otherwise, he is not a chewer at all. The interesting thing is his breeder told me she had to remove his Mom at one point because he chewed all the hair off of her tail when he was a kitten. I suspect my guy has probably always had some low level GI issue.

Again, this may not be the case for Oberon, but given the fact that he wasn’t right yesterday and then went to town on a box, it may be something to watch. Prior to the integrative vet no one mentioned that they will do this when there is an issue.

10. Lisa & Oberon

Oh, and when I say he shreds boxes... (Oberon, the “Chewy” label on the box isn’t a description!)

6DD4EF07-F08F-4E1F-B572-4FF46D391B14.jpeg

11. Lisa & Oberon

Thanks. He's been doing this his whole life. He destroyed the cardboard carrier he came home in when we adopted him ten years ago. We can't leave boxes unattended around him or they end up like this. Doesn't mean there's not something underlying it, but it's not new behavior.

12. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Oh my:eek:! Thank goodness it appears that he doesn’t ingest it :nailbiting:. It says “Chew”....:cool:

13. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Ts was not new behavior either but I never put it together until the integrative vet came & she immediately put it together. I just thought it was something he did once in awhile. He didn’t chew anything but things with bristles. So, like the brushes that you buy so they can rub their faces on them....that is his favorite to chew on. Looking back, he probably did it to soothe himself when he did not feel well......including chewing on his Moms tail. Poor guy!

14. Lisa & Oberon

Yeah, the first time he did it (day 2 in our house, I think) we rushed him to the vet because we thought he had a cardboard blockage. Turns out he was just a bit normally plugged up. He doesn't eat it, just rips it into little postage stamp-sized pieces. Any time we unpack a box we have to make sure to fold the flaps in so he can't get started. Sometimes we just leave a sacrificial box in a corner for him so he leaves others alone. He shreds it down to nothing. It gets a bit messy, but it could be worse. One of our old cats used to chew through cords. (blinds, electrical cords, computer power cables, the Christmas lights...)

15. Lisa & Oberon

Interesting! I think Oberon's just destructive. :D But I do wonder about his gums.

16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I hope it’s just destructive and happy it’s not electrical :nailbiting::eek:!! Hope his gums are ok as well as
    his digestive system :bighug:. Sometimes it’s just a process of elimination.

17. Lisa & Oberon

148 at +6. So this is a real dive, not just R. Switching over to hourly checks until he slows down.

18. Sandy and Black Kitty

Easy does it there Oberon...
    EF116D70-F613-47F8-97FF-F0E8A4685B45.jpeg

19. Sandy and Black Kitty

BK was into paper towels...I had to hide them.

Butters & Lyla and Lisa & Oberon like this.
  20. Lisa & Oberon

:D

21. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Oberon slows down and surfs safely. Glad he is feeling better.

22. Lisa & Oberon

59 at +8... reduction earned. Giving a bit of 15% now.

23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Right on schedule, clearing that bounce. Up now Oberon!

When you posted that picture of the box shredding, I thought of BK and his affection for paper towels. Glad Sandy posted the video. Maybe an IAA only kitty thing? :p

24. Lisa & Oberon

Next step: sorting out PMPS. Fingers crossed he stays high enough to shoot the full dose (now 4.5 U).

25. Lisa & Oberon

And once again he's earned a reduction even under the regular TR rules. 49 at +9.5. Getting out the 20% now.

26. Lisa & Oberon

Morning data: AMPS 393, +2 373, +4 275, +6 148, +7 93, +7.5 78, +8 59, +8.5 72

27. Lisa & Oberon

86 at PMPS (and he hadn't been fed since +9.5), so he got the full new dose of 4.5 U. Prepping for a potentially late night.

28. Lisa & Oberon

128 at +1. All he got to eat at PMPS was his regular LC stuff, but it looks like he's coming up already? Interesting.

29. Lisa & Oberon

More morning data: +9 70, +9.5 49, +10 70, +11 79

Looks like he's going to surf in the blues for a while tonight.

thebigfuzz likes this.