? 12/13/20 Chicamonkey AMPS333/+2 417/+6 317/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

She is still bouncing from those of two night ago. Numbers tend to be quite wonky till the bounce clears - which can be up to 6 cycles.
    It's very frustrating to see those ugly numbers after a spell of good numbers but just hang in there. :)

3. Suzi and Chicamonkey

I worry for her... you seem to be confident. But her sugar has not risen +2 like that before.
    My other question is she only gets FF classics 2-3 cans a day. With the carb restriction at what point will she start to react to the food as far as numbers and weight loss. I know ECID ...... but...

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Numbers can be all over the place during a bonce. I am assuming today's shot was not a fur shot?

I didn't understand your question. Do you mean at what time will she see better numbers?

Suzi and Chicamonkey likes this.
  5. Suzi and Chicamonkey

No, I felt it go in

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Suzi and Chicamonkey

:banghead:

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

With cats weight loss needs to be slow or they can get very sick with hepatic lipidosis. So patience is needed with weight loss and FD. How much does she need to lose? It took one of my cats a year to lose 2 pounds. Bounces happen when a cat’s bg drops lower than they are used to or drops quickly and can take up to 6 cycles to clear. Are you checking for ketones?

8. Suzi and Chicamonkey

I did check with a dip stick and it was negative a week ago BUT I didn’t have a clean catch, I dipped it in right after she went. What will positive ketones reflect?
    I expect slow weight loss . She should be 10 or 11 lbs but she is 13 lbs. the vet was not concerned about her weight at all , me either but I know she would feel better .

9. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Is hepatic lipidosis like NASH or Nafld-in humans? Fatty liver disease

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  10. tiffmaxee

Yes, although I had to look up NASH., lol. Have you looked at Lisa Pierson’s section on obesity? I helped a friend slim down her cat by several pounds with that guidance.
    https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/

11. tiffmaxee

Yes, although I had to look up NASH., lol. Have you looked at Lisa Pierson’s section on obesity? I helped a friend slim down her cat by several pounds with that guidance.
    https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/

A clean catch is not needed to test for ketones. You only need that to check for an infection which your vet would do. Cats prone to ketones can get DKA which is very serious. I’d just test weekly.
    I see your kitty is a tortie. So was my cat that needed to lose weight. She was 12 pounds and my vet wanted her to weigh 10 pounds. She wasn’t diabetic but extra weight is a cause of feline diabetes so will help your tortie to be more healthy. Max was overweight but his FD was caused by chronic pancreatitis. He was just a pound overweight and a big cat.

12. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Chronic pancreatitis from?? People food?
    I worry about that too my husband likes to feed her ribs, steak... to get her to like him more :cat: but that has stopped now

13. tiffmaxee

Cats don’t get pancreatitis from what they eat. The vets honestly have no idea the cause but with Max I suspect it happened from the stress of losing his sister, my tortie. I could be wrong but it started when she was losing her battle with lymphoma. Pancreatitis led a couple years later to him becoming diabetic. With humans and dogs a fatty diet can cause bouts of it once they have it. Not so much with cats. There’s so much they don’t know about pancreatitis in cats. It seems to lead to FD and it seems lots of cats with fd get it. However, often when cats here get it and I start asking questions I often learn the cats had chronic pancreatitis before becoming diabetic but the vets never tested for it. The tests we use now aren’t perfect but at least we now have them. There’s no reason to test for it unless your cat acts sick and has symptoms so don’t worry about this as unless it’s active the test will be negative.

14. Suzi and Chicamonkey

I’m so sorry ! And I’m sorry for all the questions I ask ... cat health is so foreign to me. All her other bloodwork was fine .... what is the pancreatic test called?

15. tiffmaxee

Ask as many questions as you have. None of us mind answering. There are two tests used the most. The SNAP test is given at the vet and you get immediate results. However it just gives a positive or negative result so if in the gray area the cat still could have it and you wouldn’t know. The SpecFPL test gets sent to a lab and gives you a number. How sick a cat is didn’t necessarily correlate with how sick a cat with pancreatitis feels but if borderline and feeling sick it’s a pretty good idea she has it.

16. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Thank you! Are they expensive tests?

17. tiffmaxee

They are not really expensive. There is absolutely no reason to think Chicamonkey has it. Don’t worry about it. It does not correlate with bg levels. You would only test for it if she were acting sick. She’s healthy and just happens to have FD. You are treating it and we will get it controlled. :bighug:

18. Suzi and Chicamonkey

I worry too much, I know.
    Thank you for all your help.

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd say Chicamonkey is just being Chicamonkey! :cat::cat::cat::banghead:

Also, remember, meters are allowed a 20% variance, so 333 could be as high as 399...and 417 could be as low as 333....so instead of seeing an increase at +2, it's probably closer to being flat

20. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Suzy, one thing I can tell you about this roller coaster ride is that you can't get excited about those numbers - unless they're way low - in the lime greens - then you can get excited because that's where the dangerous stuff is...however pinks and reds and even blacks...well that's Feline Diabetes running it's course...

Our kitties don't have a normal endocrine system making normal amounts of insulin to help regulate the sugar in their blood streams - so those numbers are valuable only to allow you to know that things are out of whack....So as Chris mentioned above the 300's are just that a range of numbers...same for the 400's and 500's....if you kinda step back and look at the ranges you might handle it easier than trying to focus on an exact number at a given hour - however, this rule does not apply to lime green numbers - those numbers are much more telling and hypoglycemia is where you want to react...and quickly...

I hope this is helpful and will help you relax a bit while on this journey...:bighug:

21. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Thank you... I worry though. High numbers over time aren’t good... at least with my human diabetic patients. I’m trying to get a grasp on it...
    I was an OR nurse for 15 yrs before switching into outpatient wound care and well, we have an innate need to “fix the issues” quickly.... so I’m trying to adjust ;)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  22. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I hear ya... unfortunately FD doesn’t lend itself to fixing quickly.... I’m sure you’ve seen the term ‘its a marathon, not a sprint’ mentioned around here a time or two..

23. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's one of the advantages our cats have over us....they tolerate those high numbers much better than we do.

There are a LOT of vets out there that tell their diabetic cat clients to try to keep their cats in the 300's (the vet that diagnosed my China told me that if I could get her down to around 300, he'd be happy with that....well I wasn't happy with that!!)