12/13 OT Kitty's Labs pre-dental, BUN qstn & dietary protein

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

On schedule for Kitty's dental Friday. The labs are mostly pretty good... Glucose 103 with Alpha Trak :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , and fructosamine 246. :D :D :D :D

On the other hand...
    The BUN came back a little high: 40 in a range of 14-36. A year ago it was 32.

The immediate response is that the vet will definitely give fluids via IV during anesthesia to avoid strain on the kidneys. We will get a urine sample during the dental anesthesia.

Longer term, though we talked about dietary protein. Right now, Kitty eats FF, either Tender Beef or Turkey, plus Liv-A-Little chicken treats heaped high.

Cholesterol is also high: 313 in range of 75-220. Triglycerides are normal, Amylase (whatever that is) is at the very top level, Lipase is toward the high end of normal.

Question is... should I be concerned about this BUN, and if so, does anyone have ideas about what to do?

All of Kitty's labs are listed in the SS linked through my signature.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/13 OT Kitty's Labs pre-dental, BUN qstn & dietary pro

BUN is blood urea nitrogen. If creatinine and urine specific gravity were normal (vet probably doesn't know the latter since he didn't get a urine sample), this is likely due to either dehydration or Kitty having just eaten a high protein meal. Was kitty on an AB? Sometimes ABs can cause a temporary elevation of BUN.

The amylase and lipase are pancreatic enzymes. They are unreliable measures in cats. Don't worry about the cholesterol. It's pretty much irrelevant in cats.

3. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks, Sienne. I'm glad HIS cholesterol is not important. Wish the same were true of mine!

No, Kitty has not been on antibiotics.

I wonder if his diet is extra high in protein, because of all the chicken treats we put on his food. (He plays like he won't eat without them, but he eats his food at night. He licks off all the treats as soon as the plate is put down, then eats the food at night.)

I wish I could get him onto a better diet, but he barfs whenever I try anything besides the FF.

He barfed three times in the last 10 days: two with hairballs, one without.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Just wondering whether I need to push harder to change his diet because of this BUN.

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

For what it's worth both Alex and Jackson always range from 42-48 and that's considered a little high. But my guys are on meds that could cause this. In any event, what's really important is the BUN/creatinine ratio which I'm guessing is in the normal range right? J (that was a J :) )

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Marje is a pro with kidney stuff...maybe shoot her a PM??? I know these days there's a lot of focus on phosphorus when it comes to kidney issues, but I don't want to misquote anything....

We'll be thinking of you on Friday for Kitty's dental!!!

7. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks! So THAT'S what the ratio is for! It is normal - 27 in a range of 4 - 33 - but a year ago it was 20. confused_cat

J... for JOKE! Yeah, that's the ticket! :) :) :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea. I will. And thanks for the good thoughts. I'm trying not to worry, but I'm not succeeding so far. nailbite_smile

8. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Kitty's BUN is slightly elevated. As Sienne says, it will be helpful to get a USG (urine specific gravity). Phosphorus is at 4.8, and potassium is at 4.4. Tanya's CRF website suggests that you try to keep phosphorus under 4.0 and potassium not lower than 4.4 for a renal cat. If Kitty is a renal cat, which may not be the case based just on a single slightly elevated BUN, the thinking of many is that the best diet to feed is one that contains a high quality protein. If you can find one lower in phosphorus, that may also be beneficial. I believe that many people here aim for a number under 250 in the phosphorus column on J & B's lists. You do not need to use a prescription diet.

Tanya's CRF website is the kidney bible, and makes good reading, if you want to learn about renal issues. This section deals with diet, and also includes food tables (note that the phosphorus content is in a different format from J & B's):

http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm#best_crf_food

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Looks to me like Kitty's phosphorus likes to run a little high since his BUN and creat were fine in 9/10/2010 and his phosphorus was the same as it was on this recent bloodwork. I agree with Sienne and Linda on the BUN; it is just a snapshot in time and if he's a tiny bit dehydrated or has a high protein diet, it will be up for that point in time. I also agree that a USG is needed if you want to know if you are starting to see some kidney issues. It is often the first indicator
    of the beginning of CKD which is just called '"renal insufficiency". If you can do a free catch at home, they can easily run the USG.....the vet does not have to get the urine sample.

On the phosphorus range, just so you know, it includes kittens who tend to run higher. I know vets sometimes will say "ok kitty is at 6 but he's in the "normal" range". That's just wrong. An adult cat with no kidney issues should not be above 5 and, as Linda said, should be closer to 4.

10. Kathy and Kitty

Thank you!!

A couple of questions:

USG (Urine Specific Gravity): I don't mind getting a urinalysis. Is there a reason NOT to let the vet do it? It's easier for me if I let him do it, and Kitty will be there anyway, sedated. But we do what we must do!

Also: The BUN is now steadily up for the third time: 27 in September '10, 32 in November '10 (that's probably not significant) to 40 now. The diet is the same -- Fancy Feast -- except that he's getting added protein now, in the form of those chicken treats he craves.

He is drinking water several times a day -- not the endless drinks he had when he was actively diabetic, but he drinks. I confess, I was a little worried, so I was happy to see the fructosamine come back so nice.

I'll read through Tanya's CRF site. If there is something starting here with Kitty, maybe we can catch it early.

Thanks for the input. SO appreciated!

11. Kathy and Kitty

p.s. Kitty's legs seem weak. It's another reason I was so excited that the fructosamine was good. He just slid a little down a couple of stairs. Not sure what's causing it. His arthritis?

His legs are so weak that I see him standing with his hind legs slightly apart, the way he used to when he had neuropathy. :?

12. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

you know me...just sending you huggies and good back leg/dental vines....

and a smile...

[​IMG]

13. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Good luck with your dental on Friday!
    Zener handled his fine, had 2 extractions and one tooth that just fell out during cleaning. He felt great the night after, but today is feeling pretty punk. Of course, numbers are high from shooting reduced doses. We delayed a little on giving him bupe for pain and probably should have done as instructed. His breath smells great now though! We know that with those teeth out, he will start feeling better. We will be thinking about you and sending best wishes for a good dental.

14. Kathy and Kitty

Celi, you DID make me laugh. I swear, even Kitty smiled at that one. :lol: :lol:

And thanks, Anne. Give Zener gentle scritches for blazing the way for Kitty.

I have to admit it. I'll miss his little kitty food breath. Oh, did I write that out loud???? :lol: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.