? 12/14 Butters AMPS 259/+3 277/ Question about TR increase sizes

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Today is cycle 3 of 3.625u. I'm seeing a pattern emerge. Butters takes a little dip below 300 during cycle 2 and it continues into cycle 3. Just low enough to make herself ineligible for a .5u increase in two days' time:rolleyes:. If the pattern holds, she'll be back >300 by PMPS today.

I was thinking about how as the dose gets higher, the increases get much smaller as a % of the total dose. When I went from .5u to .75u, that was a 50% dose increase. Going from 1u to 1.25u was a 25% increase. And so on. Doesn't this just slow progress over time, particularly if there is some kind of insulin resistance involved? Why are the increases always a fixed amount (.25u or .5u), rather than a fixed % of the current dose? I've read the protocol and I don't see where this is addressed.

Yes it was:(. I'm strictly working at home this week, though, so let the cuddles and lap time continue. :cat:

Have a great day, all.:bighug:

Abdullah and JOJI and Kit like this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you can work from home this week. I hope Butters slides down today. Enjoy the cuddles and lap time.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Lyla, I was reading about Butters massive burp yesterday :D:p
    That's too funny, it sounds like she was feeling pretty good last night, I'm happy about that. I hope you and Butters have a good day ♥:bighug::bighug:

4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Very good question you raise, Lyla. I’m thinking her next increase should be .50. Once at 3.5 that’s often done. Let’s see what others think. It might just take an even more aggressive approach to get to the breakthrough dose.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I've seen @Wendy&Neko discuss the incremental doses of .5 in higher dose cats. Perhaps she will weigh in later today with comments on your question.

I've never had to venture down that road so am not qualified to comment.

I do hope you get a satisfactory response soon. Hope you and Butters have a snugly lap day today!

Butters & Lyla and tiffmaxee like this.
  7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm glad you haven't, Sue.I was thinking about it in the shower this morning because of Butters, but I am curious about it in general. You know I have no science background; I'm just looking at the math. Maybe I'm not understanding something from the science of it.

Back >300 again already: 311 @+6. That was fast, Butters. Anyways, who's kidding who, here? The high yellows and low pinks are one and the same with meter variance:p.

I'm open to the idea:).

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Typically we move to 0.5 unit changes, instead of 0.25, when kitty gets to 5 units total dose. And 1 unit at 10 units etc., rule of 10%. Depending on situation and degree of insulin resistance (ie. confirmed presence of IAA or acromegaly), we might move to 15%.

Note, some cats, even higher doses ones, are sensitive to smaller changes. As usual at ECID thing.

9. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

build that depot, butters. :bighug:

10. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Work the increase, Butters :cat:

Hope you had a good vacation, Lyla...though no cat-cation this go around :cat:

11. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

With the advice from Wendy, we've been increasing the dose by 0.5u since reaching 5u. And my vet is happy with the 0.5u increase but now we are doing SLGS method :facepalm:

Butters, those pinks and yellows don't really suit you very well. I think you're better suited to blues and greens! :p

12. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Some days I wish I could work from home. So I could be with Molly but Next week. I'll be off for a few days with her :). I hope the increase works and back to those beautiful numbers again. Have a great evening Lyla :cat:

13. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

Oh Butters. Lol at the massive burp. That's not very ladylike. I'm assuming you felt very good after tho :p
    I really hope the right dose for Butters shows up soon. Glad you can work from home this week so you can get extra cuddle time with her :bighug:
    Hope you have a great night :)

14. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

I hope Butters starts working this dose! :cool: