12/15 OT Kitty dental tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Here's the previous thread on Kitty's pre-dental blood work, with slightly elevated BUN.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posting.php?mode=edit&f=9&p=636503

I will continue with his FF diet until we get past the dental and see the urinalysis.

I am nervous about the dental!!!!!!! nailbite_smile nailbite_smile Kitty has FORL, so extractions are always a possibility. At least we don't have insulin to worry about.

Tonight's routine: Will pick up his food eight hours before drop off, which is 11 a.m. Friday. I called the vet about water; they say Kitty CAN have water. We'll pick that up at around 7:30 tomorrow morning. Surgery isn't until after 1.

Other:
    - I will pick up some baby food after I drop him off. Any other suggestions?
    - I will definitely get some bupe afterwards.
    - I have a list to attach to the check-in instructions, headed by NO METACAM, with instructions to get x-rays before & after, etc.

Spare dental vines welcome!! Thanks.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Add NO Convenia to the list.

Also make sure that if there are extractions, that the vet does post-procedure x-rays.

3. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Our vet gave Zener antibiotics for post-procedure. We used clindamycin pre-dental and had pudding poo, so she prescribed clamavox post procedure and he is doing okay on that. We followed all the directions we got from everyone here on the message board and everyone's help was fantastic. Our vet wanted to give metacam and we said no, and that is now on his chart "NO METACAM".

Here's the info on the fortiflora you asked about on Zener's condo. I've copied and pasted here just in case you don't get back to Zener's condo.

We understand completely about pre-dental world! We've ordered the fortiflora online at both Amazon and PetFoodDirect.
    From Amazon, about $20 and you can get it fairly quickly.
    http://www.amazon.com/FortiFlora-Feline ... 184&sr=8-1

At PetFoodDirect, about $23, free shipping
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/search/fortiflora-cats

Some vets will carry it too, but we've found online a little cheaper.

You are correct! There is a sticky for the tight regulation protocol that shows a chart for both the AT and human meters. It's in pdf format so you may want to email it or take it in to your vet so the vet can see what you are going by and that it is in the research. ;-)

For example - Zener's value at +5 was 187 and on a human meter it would be 157. Also, if Zener goes below 80 on the AT, that's an earned reduction and you will see that below 50 on the human meter is an earned reduction.

Zener felt great the night of his dental, probably the anesthesia. The next day (yesterday), he didn't feel so good so we started the bupe. He had two extractions and a couple of sutures, so we know he was hurting. If no extractions, the bupe may not be necessary, but it is good to have, just in case. It does seem to make him lethargic. Today is all around much better.

We are sending loads and loads of healing energy to you and Kitty. While she is snoozing and on the good drugs, we recommend an adult beverage for her bean!

4. Kathy and Kitty

Sienne, here's my question: Long before I got to FDMB, Kitty's first vet gave him Convenia. Kitty has had it probably three times, without reaction any of those times.

Since he hasn't reacted to it in the past, would it be okay for him now? How is Clavamox given? confused_cat

And yes, I have it on my List to be Stapled to Intake Form! X-rays before and, if extractions, after! At least that much I have covered.

Anne, thanks. I hope I don't need the Fortiflora, but I called the vet, and they carry it.

Thanks also for the healing energy. Can I have my adult beverage NOW??? nailbite_smile :lol:

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

BEST OF LUCK TOMORROW!!!

and for now...

[​IMG]

6. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Sending good dental vines and quick recovery wishes your way!

7. Anne & Zener GA

Our vet gave us the choice of liquid or pill for the clavamox. Since we were giving the bupe as a liquid, and Zener takes meds really well with pill pockets (he thinks they are a treat, so please don't tell him otherwise ;-)), we opted for the pill for the clavamox. We cut it into 4 pieces (with a pill cutter) and wrap each piece in a portion of pill pocket. Zener swallows them right down - 1,2,3,4. :D

I highly recommend self-medication with adult beverages - take 2 as needed for whatever! :lol:

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending good dental vines to Kitty for tomorrow.

9. Anne & Zener GA

Kathy and Kitty, thinking of you with the dental tomorrow and sending healing energy for a rapid recovery. I'm sure you will both do great. Keep us updated.
    Liz

10. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending tons and tons of good dental vines for my handsome Kitty for tomorrow! He will be fine!
    Alex and Jackson have taken Clav liquid and pills. They both have had a little stomach upset with it but when I give it with probiotic a lot less so. He WILL be fine.

Give that handsome face lots of smoochies for me and tell Kitty I will love him even if he has less toofies tomorrow, k?

Hugs to you too :YMHUG:
    xoxo
    me, Alex and Jackolini

11. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good dental vines for Kitty tomorrow.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Kitty, I'm sending you some great dental vines for tomorrow. Be brave, man! It'll be OK. And tomorrow, when you get home, the KTSS will be along with some chilled mouse smoothies and a spa treatment to get rid of the vetty smell.
    Your friend,
    Rusty

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If he tolerates Convenia, it's fine. It's only indication is for skin infections, though.

If you do give FortiFlora, you need to give it at least an hour or two before the AB.

14. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Sending Easy Dental Vines for Kitty tomorrow--Believe me we suffer that day more than they do!
    I gave both my cats Clavamox, which is squirted into nthe mouth.It's pretty easy for them, & you, unless pilling is easier for you...If Kitty gets Bupe, all you do is slip the syringe into the mouth & squirt into the cheek--Quick & easy.
    Prayers for a quick & easy dental & fast healing for your Dear Kitty--Will be thinking of you two!!
    hUGS & lOVE FROM US--always give a little food, fortiflora, something before giving an ab!

Kitty you will beautiful clean Toofies tomorrow & you'll feel great!!

15. Kathy and Kitty

THANK YOU, EVERYONE! We were out at DH's office party tonight. I felt like a traitor for not being with Kitty, but I had to keep reminding myself that HE doesn't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Lucky him.

I'll see what the vet recommends in terms of AB. And if it's Clavamox,

I just feel guilty taking this healthy guy to the vetty bean with no food. :-| But his gums are red, and it is my job to take care of him.

I am a mess.

I know he will be brave and laid back, and I will try to do the same. :YMSIGH: I appreciate all the vines and healing thoughts. Makes me feel less like an emotional worried mess. @-)

Next stop, clean toofies and the KTSS! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.