12/2 +2 456

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caseylg89, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

So my kitty's sugar was 356 for morning sugar gave .5 and now +2 its 453.... what do I do? Should I give her a bigger dosage tonight then?

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Did she get a shot last night? It's not on your ss.

You are using Basaglar correct? It is a depot insulin and the depot has not filled yet. You hold initial dose 7 days. The dose is based on how low glucose goes during the 12 hr cycle. If you can get a text between 5-7 hrs after shot it will help determine when the insulin is hitting that low time.

Have you read these yellow stickies?

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

It's a good place to become familiar with.

3. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

No she did not get one last night, by the time I went to bed it would have been less than 12hrs in between shots.
    Ok I'll get another test between +5 - +7 and yes shes taking basaglar

4. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ok I just did it again and its 372 which is +6

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you want to see Chloe's numbers respond to insulin, you're going to have to find a shot time the will allow you to shoot twice a day. Likewise, you'll need to be able to test during both the AM and PM cycles.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

I know and I agree it's just hard because shes starving all the time so if I do the PM one at 8pm then by 10ish shes starving and I cant feed her again because I'll need another test then right? Then right when I wake up in the morning shes starving and I usually feed her right away but I cant give her insulin then because it's not the 12hrs apart. Does that make sense? Isnt the am and PM numbers like fasting numbers?

7. Olive & Paula

Only hold food 2 hrs prior to giving insulin. Otherwise, they can eat. Smaller more frequent meals are better.

Example: @ 6 am you test, feed, give insulin all in about 15 minutes. (I give shot when Ollie is actor eating).

Then let them eat. At 6 pm test, feed, give insulin. Leave food out overnight. Other tests any time you can. Just pick up food 2 hrs before shot.

8. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

So the am and pm numbers are really just 2hrs fasting numbers

9. Olive & Paula

Yes. Most kitties do better if they get a small snack (tsp or less) at +9. Then no food until preshot test.

10. Olive & Paula

Can you change the shot time so you give it when you get up? That way you can test her, feed her and give shot while she is eating.

Something to put on your Xmas wish list. It will save your sanity. Whether you work or at home all day. It allows kitty to eat and you can sleep at night or run errands during the day.

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-5-Meal-Automatic-Pet-Feeder/dp/B000GEWHNS

11. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Yes I really need one of those feeders!! Now can I still shoot her and give her more food later if i shoot her at 8pm? When's a good time to give her more food after I give her insulin? How long does it take to get her sugar under control? Shouldn't her numbers already be dropping?

12. Olive & Paula

Yes you can feed her. Ollie eats every 2-3 hrs around the clock. I give insulin at 6:30 am/pm because those times I am always home. She gets no food after 4 am/pm, until it's time for shot, at least from me. Hubby doesn't always remember and will feed another kitty and then Ollie steals that food.

There is no saying how long it will take. If you are consistent with treatment (shots, foods, etc) you will see improvement in time. There can be set backs (pancreatitis, set us way back) and there are times when you might have to alter things (family emergency) cuz life happens, but as long as it not all the time, it's very manageable once you get a routine going.

Ollie diabetes is caused by a pituitary tumor, so she can be tricky. She is also carb sensitive and 8% carb food will send her glucose up. In addition any change in her routine as slight as it may be can send her glucose up.

Keep good notes and you will learn what works and what doesn't.

13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I just want to add to this - although it's a post from yesterday (btw, could you please update your title to say 12/2 Casey AMPS ### - so we'll know what post that was...so many posts on here...we could get confused...)...

and to continue with my thought...Luci has food down all the time, except for two hours before her AM and PM pre-shot tests. No food for her at that time only. She's a grazer...and likes to eat a little...then go back and eat some more...and so it goes throughout the day. She likes it best when I come in and put a teaspoon or three down for her after every test...she eats a couple of bites...but later will come back and finish it up...until the next test...when she expects to be presented with another morsel of food.

Please feed your kitty when she's hungry - except just before the tests as mentioned above.