12/2 Poopy AMPS 327 - PMPS 91

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Teresa and Poopy, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

11/26 post

Good morning Lantus Land! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Poopy took a trip to my Mom's yesterday for our family holiday gathering and wasn't very pleased - hissed and spit at everyone, the grumpy old cuss! I wasn't at all surprised at the higher number last night. Was careful to pack insulin in a chilled lunch container (with ice pack). This morning I was greeted with a pretty large air bubble in the Lantus pen.

I read the sticky on care and handling of Lantus but didn't see anything about air bubbles. Looking at Poopy's spreadsheet, he's been in the 300s for 3 cycles now. Do I need to replace the pen? Or is this just coincidence?

Thanks in advance for any insight or thoughts. :smile:

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/2 Poopy AMPS 327 - air bubble in pen

Hi Teresa,

If the pen was too close to the ice block the insulin could have frozen. Did you have it wrapped in anything? When we travel I wrap the insulin cartridge/pen in a little bubblewrap and put it in a small cardboard box, and then wrap the box in a piece of newspaper or a small paper bag. It is important to keep insulin from direct contact with the ice block. Usually we have other stuff in the cold case and put the insulin in the bottom, the other stuff on top of it, and the ice block(s) on the very top.

The bubble in the pen may be unrelated to the ice block, however. The pen may have gotten "shook up". We don't use the Lantus pen, but I have read that others have had luck getting bubbles out by pushing the button on the bottom of the pen.

How old is your pen? Perhaps it is time to start a new one. The manufacturer's guidelines say 32 days after the pen is started. Some people use the pen much longer, but some cats are very sensitive to insulin potency and their bgs begin to go up after 32 days. It really is a case of "know thy cat".

Good luck!

Ella & Rusty

p.s. Poopy's higher numbers, however, may be entirely trip-related. If it's a bounce it can take as long as 72 hours to clear--sometimes even longer.

3. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

I dont know whether the bubble in your pen is "okay" or not. But, I often found one big bubble inside my insulin pen after using it for a wk or so. I believe it is caused by my injecting the needle in to draw the insulin. Somehow, air got inside. I kept using the pen till the end of it; which is around 40 days. From my using, Rosy's bg is at her normal.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know if the air bubble will cause a problem or not. I hope some others can give you advice on this. I hope things are going well for you. Hopefully Poopy will come down today.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Unless, as Ella suggested, there's a chance your insulin was frozen at some point, I wouldn't worry about the bubble. I've had them in my pens despite taking good care of my insulin. You can try to pull off the air by getting the bubble into the tip of the pen and using a syringe to draw out the air. On the whole, though, I doubt it will make a difference.

BTW, clicking the dispenser on the pen won't make a difference unless you have a needle tip for the pen.

6. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

PMPS 91

I appreciate the input. Thank you. :YMHUG:

When I found the air bubble this morning, I drew it out as part of the morning dose, being sure to expel it in the air while adjusting for the right dose, (I always over draw then expel the extra.)

Given Poopy came in at 91 at PMPS, I'm going with the insulin still being good. As suggested, the higher numbers were probably all trip related (watching me pack up to prepare for trip, the trip there, the "trauma" of mom's house, then the trip home).

I haven't been putting my spot checks in the spreadsheet but Poop hasn't gone low enough for a bounce. Tonight may be a different story since I shot as normal. We shall see. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.