? 12/20/2020 Sugar AMPS: 286 (+1) 299 (+ 1.75) 256 (+3.75) 216

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Claude, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Claude

Claude Member

Hello everyone, new member here.

My cat's BG is lower than usual. Should shoot the same usual dose? He's normally in the 400 range in the morning (before feeding). Today he's 286. Problem is 2 days ago he went from AMPS 403 to +5 132 (before feeding in the afternoon). So he dropped over 50%.

I'm not sure if I should lower the dose or shoot normally. He's been on 2.5 IU glargine for about 8 days. He was on Humlulin 1.3 IU for a month and 10 days before that when he was diagnosed (he wasn't home tested back then). His diet was changed to fully wet about a week ago (he was on Royal Cannin Glycobalance during Humulin).

I have his SS below. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. The bg is higher than on 12/13 and you shot. Do you have supplies? High carb, mid carb, plenty of test strips? Can you monitor? If yes then shoot.

3. Claude

Claude Member

Hi. I have some high carb dry food and honey in case he drops too low.

Yes I can monitor. My concern was his recent drop to 132.

I wil proceed to shoot then. Thanks for your reply.

4. tiffmaxee

A drop to blue is good. It’s what you want to see and actually under 100. Have you read any of the yellow stickies? Look at the typical Lantus cycles. At first most cars hit the low at +6-7. That’s how future doses are determined, by the nadir, how low a dose takes the cat.

5. tiffmaxee

6. tiffmaxee

7. tiffmaxee

Get a +2 test. It will give a clue as to how the rest of the cycle will go. Post the results in the title.

8. Claude

Claude Member

Thank you very much. I will check the stickies and test him. I might have to do it a little earlier than +2 since I have to go out. Maybe 20 minutes earlier.

Thanks again!

9. tiffmaxee

Once you read please ask as many questions as you have. There is a steep learning curve. You have come to the best place for a diabetic cat and the caregiver.

10. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! Just wanted to add that a change to a low carb diet can bring down numbers pretty dramatically. You want to monitor Sugar's BG closely during the transition.

11. Claude

Claude Member

Thanks. Yes I've been learning a lot in the last few weeks. Vets I went to didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about feline diabetes. This place is a wonder.

12. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes. Every vet I have spoken to has advised me to keep Bandit's BG above 150-200! My civvie tested 73 the other day! :rolleyes:

13. Claude

Claude Member

Thanks. Yes I monitored him when I changed him to wet. He was already on insulin so I made sure he didn't drop much and started by combinig both dry and wet for a few days.

14. Claude

Claude Member

It's weird because I have the idea that FD is pretty common, so vets should be very experienced in regulating cats. First vet I went to prescribed Humulin, which I've heard isn't good. The more I read here the more I realized some vets don't know much about it.

With FD seems like one has to become the vet , lol.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  15. Claude

Claude Member

+1.75 update. It was after eating Friskies Pate. He's on the lower side today compared to his usual numbers. Will be out for a few hours. Will keep monitoring when I return home. He has food around. Thank you.

16. tiffmaxee

It seems many vets don’t think that caregivers are capable of of testing and monitoring so decide to keep the cats too high. They also might like the money they get from curves and visits to check the fructosamine. They don’t mean to I think but prevent many cats from going into remission. Normal bg is 50-120 on a human meter and many are even lower.

17. Claude

Claude Member

Those are some very good points!

BTW my cat is on his lowest BG yet since I started home testing. He hasn't been above 300 since last night. Maybe I'm too worried he could go too low at nadir since this is new for me.

I will keep monitoring.

18. tiffmaxee

You don’t need to worry. Normal bg and your goal is will be 50-100 or slightly higher on a human meter when tightly controlled.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Claude likes this.