12/20 Boomer OTJ Trial Day 3 AMBG 99 PMBG 92 bad news from ultrasound

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMBG 99 :D

I got up at 1:30 last night to try to get Boomer to eat. He wouldn't even take a nibble so I gave him some liver shake. He did take a few bites of food after that and he ate 2 pieces of chicken. The plates of food I left him at his auto feeder remained untouched.

This morning he did eat a bit of food then I gave him about 6 ml liver shake. Bupre. and vitamin B12 (since I forgot it last night) is on board. Mirtz to be given in about half an hour as Dr Larry told me recently that it could be given every 24 hours if needed.

Weight this morning is 16.4 lbs. Normal weight prior to his issue with eating which seemed to begin around Nov 10 was 16.8 lbs.

Waiting to hear from Dr Larry regarding the ultrasound.

Picking up antibiotics today as well as a script for cyproheptadine hopefully. @LizzieInTexas do you know what the wait time between appy stimulants needs to be?

Many many thanks to those offering advice, information, prayers, hugs, and vines!!!!! I'm very worried about my boy.

2. Judy and Boomer

Mirtazapine on board 8:00 am.

3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that the Cypro does the trick. Hugs Judy!

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  4. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor guy, hopefully you can get something to work. Glad he is eating at least a little.

Have a good day.

5. Judy and Boomer

Offered some food about 45 minutes after mirtz and he ate about half of it on his own. I hope that's a sign of things to come today.

6. Judy and Boomer

Boomer has an ultrasound at 1:00 pm.
    Please send all the vines you can spare.

7. Shoeskitty-GA

Vines, thoughts, prayers, etc. coming your way!

8. Judy and Boomer

Well at least he's up and about and looking for (and asking for) food. But he's still being stubborn about eating. Turned up his nose at 3 foods. Scrambled eggs. Finally ate some tuna.

9. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Love, positive thoughts and health vines from us to Boomer. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Will be thinking of you guys and hoping all goes well today.

10. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers and hugs to sweet Boomer and you, Judy, that the ultrasound report will be good and give some easily solved insight :bighug:

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending everything I've got for the Boomer, you and the DH. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Judy and Boomer and Beth 73 like this.
  12. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Good luck! Hoping they can figure things out! :bighug::bighug:

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for Boomer.

14. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sending many many helpful vines to Boomer and you and DH too! Sounds like you all need the collective power of the FORUM! We're all here for you Judy. I hope it's nothing serious going on in there...praying for you!

15. Judy and Boomer

Thanks everyone! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: We'll be leaving in about 30 minutes for the ultrasound.

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Many, many vines, prayers, and hugs!!!

17. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Vines and love being sent. Prayers for answers and solutions, so you can be reassured that Boomer will be good. He is in the best, loving hands:bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Prayers sent for uneventful u/s. You got this Boomer.

19. Judy and Boomer

Waiting now. :( Very nervous.

20. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

21. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Judy and Boomer and Beth 73 like this.
  23. Red & Rover (GA)

24. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

I wish you and Boomer the best today. Fingers crossed ultra sounds look good. xoxoxo

25. Judy and Boomer

I can't believe I have to write this note. We got bad news from the ultrasound. My little boy has a large mass in his bowel and the cancer has spread throughout his abdomen. The cancer causes fluid to build up in his abdomen which is what is making him uncomfortable. It is widespread and late stage. We will ask Dr Larry if there's anything that can be done but the Dr that did the ultrasound believes it's too wide spread and all we can do is try to keep him comfortable and eating.
    I am in shock. I was not prepared for anything this bad.

26. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Oh no Judy, I'm so sorry :( What did the vet recommend giving him to make him more comfortable? diuretics? :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Amy&TrixieCat

Oh, Judy, I am so incredibly heartbroken for you. I wish there was more that I could or say, but please know you are in my heart, thoughts, and prayers :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  28. Red & Rover (GA)

Oh, double hockey sticks. While it is not good news, it is good that you had the ultrasound done.

Love the little fella to bits.

Si am cat mom and Beth 73 like this.
  29. Shoeskitty-GA

Oh no no no! Judy, so very sick about this for you, DH and Boomer! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((Judy)))
    I'm so sorry.

31. Beth 73

Judy, I am heartbroken and so terribly sorry ....

32. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

This breaks my heart, I am so sorry. :bighug::bighug:

33. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Oh gosh Judy. I'm so very sorry about this disturbing report. Many hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug: Prayer is very powerful, as we all know. I've witnessed miracles, others have too. I'm holding onto hope that a miracle will be provided for Boomer and your family. Prayers for Boomer and your family.:bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  34. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Make the most of each day you have with Boomer. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Judy, for you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Give Boomer some scritches from me. He doesn’t know he has cancer. I hope they can do some things to make him comfortable at home.

36. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((((Judy))))

I am so, so very sorry. I know this is the most heartbreaking and devastating news for you and all of us who love Boomer through FDMB.

Sending Boomer comfort vines that he will eat and not have pain. Sending you love, hugs, and support.

37. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Tears and shock. I have tons of empathy for you Judy. At such a sad time, he is still lucky to be in your care . . . still the same beautiful boy he was this morning, before you knew about the cancer. He hasn't had the shock you have had . . . he wants you to continue doing the sweet things for him you were already doing. I hope you can spend time relaxing with your boy, and know that your love will make him feel better. Maybe Dr. Larry will have comfort ideas for Boomer like getting rid of extra fluid if that is an option. He also sounds like the kind of man you might rather talk with concerning hard matters.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  38. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Judy. I'm so very sorry to hear this. Having a little cry for you and your handsome little man. Sending scritches for Boomer and prayers you can keep him comfortable and eating. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  39. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I am so, so sorry to read this. Many hugs for you :bighug::bighug: and extra scritches for Boomer :cat:. My heart hurts for you.

40. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to read this devastating news Judy. I can only imagine what you must be going thru. Know that we are here for you.

I hope Boomer can be comfortable for as long as possible. Sending you hugs this evening...:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Tell Boomer we're all thinking of him.

41. Judy and Boomer

Thank you everyone. I am in total shock along with DH and Dr Larry. None of us expected news this bad. Dr Larry says that Boomer doesn't present as a cat with cancer.

The ultrasound doctor certainly made it sound like Boomer wouldn't be with us for much longer. Yet since we've been home he's been acting pretty normal. And he's been eating small meals of canned tuna, canned ham, and deli chicken. And I couple of days ago I bought him treats, they are by Orijen and they're freeze dried beef, lamb, wild boar, and pork. Nothing else in them. Remembered about them just now and he gobbled up 4 and wanted more. So he got more. They make meals too so I will be buying some tomorrow.

I had a conversation with Dr Larry. Wondered whether I should keep on syringe feeding as I was afraid it was causing Boomer discomfort. Larry indicated that if Boomer didn't mind it to keep it going. So I will. And we'll be picking up more bupre. early next week to ensure we never run out. Mirtizipine will be on board daily if needed.

PMBG 92 And I've decided to officially call this day 3 of the OTJ trial; hopefully when Boomer crosses the bridge he will be able to brag that in almost 6 years of diabetes he went OTJ 4 times.

I feel numb.

42. Amy&TrixieCat

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Boomer will lead the way, and right now it sounds like he's pretty happy, despite the crappy appy. Is consulting with an oncologist an option? I wonder if they could do a fine needle aspirate and find out exactly what kind of cancer it is, and if maybe it is treatable in some way. Kitties do much better with chemo than humans, since they are treated with remission, rather than a cure, in mind.

We are with you, Judy....all the way.....

43. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

44. Zelda & Walter

Zelda & Walter Well-Known Member

45. Zelda & Walter

Zelda & Walter Well-Known Member

Judy—I’m very sorry to hear this news. Thinking of you and Boomer.

46. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Wendy said it best, Boomer doesn't know he has cancer...and until today, you didn't either.

Knowing is good and bad. You don't keep searching for answers, which is good. But it can be very easy to drop into "anticipatory grief", which is bad. Resist that urge, live in the moment just like he is, love him like there is no end.

Our hearts are with you.

47. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

Oh Judy, I am so sorry about this news. Thinking of you, DH and Boomer:bighug:Give him lots of love and kisses. We’re all here for you❤️

48. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Judy, I didn't expect to read this news when I logged on late this evening. I am so sorry that the news wasn't better. Boomer is such a fine kitty and he knows that you love him and he knows that you will do your very best to help him.

Day 3 of your OTJ trial, Deputy Boomer! Give it your best shot :cat:. Your beans love you and so do all of your aunties and uncles on the board.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi Judy,

My heart aches for you. Hugs and love.

Regarding bupre, I don't know what your dosage is, but around here they only prescribe 200mcg/mL; in NS my vet prescribed 800mcg/mL. It is far easier to ensure they get their dose with smaller amounts, so my NS vet prescribed me a long term dose of the higher strength for use as needed; they filled and faxed a form to Summit Pharmacy (compounding pharmacy) in Ontario and they send refills directly to my house. It is far, far cheaper than the local vet. Because it is a small amount, I place it drop by drop on my finger and rub directly on Willows upper (inner) lip/gum, following each drop with a small treat.....she doesn't mind at all, and I know she is getting maximum absorption. May be something you want to consider?

Also, the bupe dosing range is 0.01-0.03 mg/kg every 6-8 hrs (I'm pretty sure that's from Plumb, or possibly Merck). For OTM (oral transmucosal) you should use the upper end of the dosing range. Many vets dose way below an effective level.

You may have seen this, but here is a pain score chart I use for Willow...I used to just go with the obvious (pupils dilated, hunching, etc.) but this catches far more subtle signs. I printed it out, and now automatically pain score her at a glance...4 or above means she gets bupre.

For Cerenia, I order from PetsDrugMart.ca. Fast and only a couple of dollars a pill. For keeping lots on hand, it saves money. They also have cypro, but I haven't tried that yet. I also order fluids, syringes and butterflies there for SQ.

Summit also does mirtz liquid (I get unflavored).

I find injectable ondansetron to work far better for Willow than the oral, but I usually use the oral because I have more on hand and I tend to save the injectable that I do have for more "intense" inappetence.

Thinking of you all with love, Nikki

50. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

From one Judy to another...:bighug:

That bloody ca..er - I can't even say the word. My heart truly goes out to you Judy. :bighug:

51. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sad to read this news Judy.
    I received the news of Sheba’s cancer in the same way and know how devastating it is. sending Boomer lots of vines and love
    :bighug:

52. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

(((Judy))),

I know from personal experience what a gut punch this news was. As Wendy says (and as my vet told me when Minka was diagnosed), he doesn't know he has cancer. Don't tell him.

Dealing with the inappetance was always the biggest issue for me. It's great that he will tolerate the liver shake - Minka didn't. Drugs are your friend. Remember that you can give both Cerenia and Ondansetron at the same time. Ditto with Cypro and Mirtz. You just have to figure out what combination works best for Boomer.

You have always been an amazing mamabean to him, and I know you will do everything you can for him. He will let you know when enough is enough. Until then, keep loving him, taking pictures of him and just being with him.

Know that your FDMB family is here for you (even those of us that don't come around a lot anymore). :bighug::bighug::bighug:

53. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry Judy, my heart breaks for you, gentle hugs

54. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:Judy, so so sorry about the ultrasound results. You’ve been a great mama to him especially over these past 6 years. I’ve not heard of a kitty going into remission 4 times! Yours will be a story that I will tell my clients about. to show them that with a lot of love and dedication, remission is a possibility with a diabetic. What he has is not due to anything you’ve done or didn’t do so don’t go down that path. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances. All you can do is to continue to give him your love and support as you have throughout his whole life bc without you, Boomer would not have made it this long. Give yourself a pat on the back for your perseverance and unending love for him. :bighug::bighug:

55. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Judy, I was incredibly saddened to read this news about Boomer, and I'm so very sorry for what you and your DH are going through. I hope you can keep Boomer eating and pain free for as long as possible. Sending you thoughts of love and comfort. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

56. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Judy, to hear this new just makes me cry and heartbroken, sending prayers and vines to you both, I’m just seeing this

57. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

He is very blessed to have you as his Mama Bean:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: