12/20 Mallie-AMPS 571, gave 1.0u, +4 162, +6 63, +8 77, +10 94 PMPS 103

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mom23seniors, Dec 20, 2019.

1. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...overnight-curve-for-1-0u.223162/#post-2496029

As per my original thread, I definitely suspect a fur shot. I just checked Mallie’s bg +8 and it’s at 31.7 (571 US) which I have never seen since I started testing last Thursday (I got her insulin on last Friday afternoon)

I HAD been giving the lantus as per my vet 1.0 u every 24 hours at 6pm at night but since I’m sure that last nights (0.5u as she was at 12.9) did not go in, I should be giving her a dose at 6am MST to get her back on schedule?

Do I give her the 1.0 unit as normal or do I give her 1.25 to combat the extra length of time (36 hours) and the extra high number (over 500) and then in PM be prepared to give 1.0u again?

ugh. I’m so disappointed in myself for missing a shot and causing her bg to get so high...especially after her 24hour numbers were in the yellow range-it was the first time that she didn’t jump up around 20 (400 US)

2. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Do *not* give an increased dose. Dangerous. Lantus dosing is *not* based on preshot. It is based on nadir.

I believe it was suggested by @MrWorfMen's Mom that 0.5U twice daily may be a good starting dose for Mallie. I agree.

Consistent dosing. 0.5 U here, 1 U there, 1.25 U here, will not work with Lantus.

Fur shots happen...don't beat yourself up. But if you think (or even know) you give one, don't ever try to compensate by giving another shot (even a reduced dose).

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Dosing is not based on the pre-shot numbers. Its based on how low BG drops on a dose. Stick to 0.5u for now and see how that dose works for Mallie. If need be dose can be raised later but giving too much insulin now could be dangerous.

4. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

Mallie’s AMPS was still 31.5 (571us). I gave her 1.0u as that is what she had had Tuesday and Wednesday.
    I am home today so I will be able to check her every 2-3hours.

5. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, I just saw that she hit 3.5 at +6. Please do not wait 2 hours to test, but test at +7, as we have no idea when Mallie nadirs, and as of +6 she was still dropping fast. Hopefully that was her nadir, but we don't know. Have you read the Hypo sticky, and do you have high carb food in case you need it?

6. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

Sorry. I just saw this. I tested her about 20min ago, at +8 and she is 77.

Also, I emailed my vet Mallie’s numbers from this week (up to the +6) and he agreed that she should have 0.5u twice a day and asked me to email him a curve after 5 days. That takes me right to Christmas/Boxing Day so I’ll only get to be able to do the curve on the 27th. We’ll see how my holidays shake out.

nslade001 likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad you are moving to twice a day shots as has been suggested here. Once a day is for humans who have slower metabolisms. The vet curve is for the vet, it is still a good idea to test when you can to see how the new dose and twice a day is doing. It was a good thing you were testing during today.

A tip for you that will help you get better sleep. On Lantus, if the +2 or +3 is higher than the preshot number, it will be a boring cycle and not worth doing a curve. Last night was an example of that. Correspondingly, if you get a +2 and it’s lower than the preshot, it will be a cycle where you will need to do more tests, or at least put out plenty of food for them to be safe. Many people will change around preshot times so the6 can get a +2 before work to see if they need to leave out higher ca4b food before leaving for work.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

I just did Mallie’s PMPS. She was 5.7 (103us)
    I’m not going to give any dose of lantus tonight.
    I know she’ll continue to rise, especially with just having some dinner.
    I’d rather her go high then go too low.
    I will restart fresh (with 0.5u) in the morning from this rollercoaster last 24hours. I will be able to monitor her all day and all night tomorrow.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  9. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

Thank you for the tips! That is really a helpful connection to have made!!

And luckily, after Monday, I am off from Dec.24-Jan.5 so I’ll be able to do more monitoring.

Kelsey & Lilly likes this.