12/21 187 PMPS- Shoot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phakewishard, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

Link to previous post
    Moo Moo is a recently diagnosed cat and her BG is 187 tonight, 194 PMPS last night. It jumped last night to 298 before I went to bed, and was at 363 this morning before her morning shot. The +6 today was 165. She's eaten like normal and drank like normal today.

Should I give her a shot or skip?

Also, I think she might be constipated. Is this normal with changing diets and giving insulin? How do I address this?

2. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

I decided to skip tonight to be on the safe side, I will check her BG again before bed to see where it's at. She hasn't had any ketones, and I'm worried about her going hypo while I'm asleep. I skipped last night as well, and so we'll see if how her BG reacts is consistent for the two days.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi sorry no one got back to you, I would have skipped also.
    In the future you might want to start posting on the Lantus
    Forum.
    I think you would get more replies there.
    Is there anyway you can test a little more during both cycles, vary the times.
    By the way Moo Moo is so adorable.

If you do go over to the Lantus introduce yourself and
    tell them you were posting on the Main Forum
    On that forum you would post like this
    Example
    12-22 Moo Moo AMPS - her BG/+3 her BG/+6 her BG/ PMPS- her BG etc
    Then you would make a new thread every day
    12-23 Moo Moo AMPS- her BG same as above

You would also copy your previous link from the day before
    Look at mine from today

Lol I see you have already putting Link to previous post

phakewishard likes this.
  7. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

I will try to get some more readings tomorrow, and vary the times. I know there isn't a lot to go off of, her poor little ears have been pricked to death while I'm trying to get the hang of it. I feel incredibly guilty when I have to poke her more than once or twice, and there have been times where I've just given up on getting that reading. I'm getting a lot better, giving up on the lancing pen and just doing it by hand helped a lot. I couldn't see where the pen was going to prick and it was never where it needed to be.

I have been giving her a treat after every reading, is there any other way to prevent her from beginning to resent/hate having her BG taken?

I will start posting on the Lantus form! I will take a look at yours, and thank you so much!

I'll tell her you said so :D Tyler is a very handsome man and I'm impressed by his spreadsheet!

Right now, I am able to take readings as often as needed, but on the days I work I will only be able to do night readings (Moo Moo can't travel to work with me all the time, my manager let me the first two days she was diagnosed and I worked, but I don't think that is always going to be an option) because I work 12 hour shifts.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi , do you mind telling me your name
    Whatever tests you can do will be helpful, I understand.
    I never used a lancing pen
    I don't know if anyway posted this diagram for you, I will post it below

You can buy some Neosporin Ointment with Pain Relief
    , NOT the cream. Put a thin layer on her ears.

I don't know what else to suggest about testing other than giving her the treats.
    Tyler never gives me trouble when testing him.

phakewishard likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If she won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there

phakewishard likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ate you using 26 or 28 gauge lancets, they will make a bigger hole

phakewishard likes this.
  11. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

My name is Sydney!

Almost all of the diabetic supplies were sold out at my store, and so I got what they had in stock. They are 26 gauge, it says for alternative spots?

I think if get it in the sweet spot, I don't have a problem getting enough blood. I think the problem was the lancing pen made it borderline impossible to aim, and I would miss the sweet spot A LOT. I still miss it a little, but not nearly as much.

Moo Moo hated the rice sock (the temperature wasn't too high, I checked. I think it was the sound of the rice moving around that bothered her), but she loves ear rubs so I've been rubbing her ears to warm them.

She's a generally calm cat and hasn't thrown a fit about it, I just am trying to be proactive with making her comfortable and not hate test time.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Glad to meet you Sydney

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

Glad to meet you too, Diane!

14. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sydney,

Sorry you didn't get a reply in time last night. :(

Re the constipation side of things, this is a very helpful site:

felineconstipation.org

As the author of the site advises, if a kitty hasn't pooped in some time then a vet check-up is a necessary safety precaution to make sure there are no obstructions (stuck stool/other) before starting any treatment.

Mogs

phakewishard likes this.
  15. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

No worries! I had a feeling it would be better to skip than not, and she's been passing stool, it's just small and hard once or twice a day. I saw that site on another post, and I put half a cut up green bean in her food to hopefully help move things along. I also put an ice cube in it, to hopefully increase her water intake.
    This has been the third day it's been a small amount and hard poops, should I call the vet and make an appointment? I don't want to stress her out unnecessarily, but I also know with Christmas soon my only option would be the emergency vet if things continued on.

16. Critter Mom

Hi Sydney,

I'd suggest calling the vet and asking whether it would be advisable to get Moo Moo examined before the weekend. They should be able to guide you as to whether an exam is needed or perhaps they might recommend something to help over the phone (given that she is at least passing something).

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Reason for edit: Typo.
    phakewishard likes this.
  17. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

@Critter Mom I called the vet this morning, he said with the food she was eating to what she switched to it's normal to see less poop. He also asked if she was straining or taking a long time to go, both answers were no (I timed her pooping LOL it was about 30-45 seconds and she was done). Her belly doesn't feel distended at all, and she doesn't become agitated when I feel around her belly. I did, to be on the safe side, get some canned pumpkin and some eggs (I believe Marje said it was what she uses (1/8tsp egg yolk) to help move things along).

My vet said if I was still concerned in the morning, I was more than welcome to bring her in. They're open until noon tomorrow, and I wake up around 4:30-5am to test Moo Moo so she can get her shot at 6am. So, I will have plenty of time to decide.

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Critter Mom

Thanks for the update, Sydney. Sounds like you had a very helpful consult with the vet and you've now got all bases pretty much covered (anti-jinx!). :)

Mogs

phakewishard likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Ain't critter parenthood grand! :rolleyes:

;)

Mogs

Pookie (GA) and phakewishard like this.
  20. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

I said 30-45 seconds because I'm sure I was counting fast because I was nervous :p, she's the first pet I've had outside of my parents house and so I may be a little overprotective from time to time :oops:

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Critter Mom

This is my idea of a good parenting style:

[​IMG]

;)

Mogs

phakewishard likes this.
  22. phakewishard

phakewishard Member

That made me laugh harder than I'm proud to admit :D Have a good night/day (I have no idea what time it is in the UK), I'm about to probably try for 30 minutes to get another reading if Moo Moo is still being as nervous as she was before dinner, and then heading to snooze-town

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.