12/28 Basil PMPS = 84 +1=123

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Right now, I am very confused about where I've posted and where people are looking so I have this in two places plus yuku!

But what should we do re shooting and feeding at 84. Seems he has been dropping all day.

2. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/28 Basil PMPS = 84 Help!

I'll bump you up. Libby was around :)

3. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Have you gotten help from other place you posted? Would suggest that if you can delay tomorrow's shot - then would retest in 1/2 hour and see if number is going up and repost. If you are unable to delay shooting tomorrow - see what other's have to say but may either need bcs dose or skip shot tonight. I see you shoot little early today (remember early shot = increase dose on it's action)

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Hi Joyce,

Libby answered me in the other location, and asked me to continue here. I have now marked that thread as moved to here.

She said okay to shoot now, which we did. He was very hungry and ate all his food.

We will monitor in an hour and make sure he is not plummeting.

Are these low numbers crazy? does it mean he is not responding properly to the Lantus?

I wonder if I need to be more careful about measuring his food? When we switched from 3/4 dry to all wet, I tried to calculate the calories and stick with it but I think I might be being a little inconsistent.

I also see we made an error, and shot at 8:40 this morning thinking we had shot at 8:50 the night before. We FED at 8:50 an dshot at 9:15.

FInally, what s a "bcs shot"?

Thanks!

5. joyce-tuscany(GA)

bcs is a big chicken **** dose - a dose that is less than what you would normally shoot cause you were uneasy about the numbers or had other circumstances that were possibly going to interfer with numbers for the day. Sometimes beans also say they gave a "furshot" - meaning some or all of dose didn't get given. Sometimes they actually meant it and sometimes it is accidental if needle comes out, etc.

Glad you got your answers from Libby. I'm just trying to figure out this site, too - having just gotten home this evening and not knowing anything about this new site.

I think the numbers are showing you that between his diet changes and his lantus things are starting to working well. Didn't look for it - but what wet are you feeding and how much? How much does Basil weigh?

6. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 12/28 Basil +1=123

Oh, BCS is a technical term. LOL!

The food: Until 12/21 we were feeding a combination of Wellness Core and Merrick canned, low glycemic varieties. I calculated he was eating about 240 calories, which is a lot. He is a bit too chubby. He weighs about 14.5 lbs and should be about 12 or 12.5. As he has been improving, he seems to require less food.

Now, I am giving him about .75 to .8 cans of Merrick per meal. I have been trying to stick with Cowboy Cookout while we are playing with the Lantus dosage figuring that's one less variable. That's about 225 to 240 calories, if I recall correctly.

During the day, he gets maybe three thumbnail size pieces of dehydrated chicken and a 1/2 tsp of laughing cow cheese.

He seems quite hungry right now after eating every bit of his dinner.

7. joyce-tuscany(GA)

As their sugars come under better control they will usually be less hungary. Do you feed him all at once - and does he eat it all at once? Do you also give snacks later? Some people use timed feeders to give their cats food thru the day. I just leave mine out til next shot time - Tuscany likes to graze. If it dries - she still eats it. The can of Merrick is which size?

Tuscany weighs 12 lbs and is still a bit chunky. She gets fed 1 3 oz can of her lc food twice a day. She gets treats after testing of dried salmon or chicken. Sometimes she will get people food if we are having something like chicken, steak, fish.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

We have been feeding two meals. Lately, as he has been improving, he generally leaves some of it, and we leave it out for him to have when he wants it. He he eats up on a desk, and neither of the other animals can reach his spot, so it works out well. It's the larger size--5.5 oz and about 150 calories per can.

We work from home and are almost always here. Tomorrow, we are going to be out. If necessary, my son has volunteered to stay home.

I wish I understood what it meant that he went down all day. He seems not to have a nadir at the usual time of +6. Sigh.

Thanks for listening. :)

Incidentally, basil's sister eats much less food and weighs more. We have a very hard time getting her to lose weight.

9. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Basil's shed is now getting to the full point on the 1.25u dose - right where we want it. :) That could account for the nice green preshot tonight.

No worries about the nadir not being at +6. Many kitties do not have a +6 nadir. Nadir can occur at any point of the cycle.

10. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Fill that shed, Basil baby. Keep fillin'. :)

Is it okay to test again at +4?

11. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Can you do a +2, or at least a +3? That seems to be where he starts to turn downward, unless he is bouncing. Looking good!

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It is absolutely fine to test at +4. You can test as much as you want (and Basil allows). Basil's numbers are great and the Lantus is working just the way it should.

Basil is hungry because of the FD. Diabetes interferes with the way the body's primary nutrient, glucose, is metabolized. Rather than glucose getting into the cells, because the body isn't producing insulin the way it should - and the job of insulin is to move glucose from the bloodstream into the cells -- it remains in the blood. As a result, Basil is hungry. He's not gaining weight because nutrients aren't being absorbed they way your civie absorbs those nutrients. As Basil becomes better regulated, his appetite will begin to decrease.

13. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Darn! I didn't see that I had to go to page 2 and I have been sitting here refreshing page 1. And no emails coming in saying there is a reply. Sorry!

We'll do a +2.5 or +3, Libby.

As far as the hunger, he just seems more hungry tonight.

Thanks for letting me know it seems to be working the way it should.

14. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 12/28 Basil +2.5=121 Questions

He frequently seems to coast through +3. That was why I was interested in +4 instead.

Can someone suggest the best course for tonight? Here are the constraints.

Tomorrow, we have to leave at what should be +1 for Basil. We will be back at about +8.

We'd like to sleep a bit tonight, but there are three of us so we can do some testing if needed. I am also worried about poor Basil's ears.

We were thinking of:
    +4
    +6
    +11 (unless +6 indicates we need to do more. What number would tell us to do more at +6? I know if we are at 50 or below, we should feed some 18% food and recheck in 30 minutes, right? Could we then leave out more food and go back to bed? )

I assume we should leave extra food out for him tomorrow. Would having access to a reasonable amount of low carb food ward off a real hypo kind of number? Or should we leave higher carb food?

PS Fixed my email prefernces. They just got reset in the middle of this evening some time.

15. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 12/28 Basil Questions

bump?

16. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/28 Basil PMPS = 84 +1=123, +2.5=121

so far it looks like Basil is surfing. :) Let's see what the +4 is, you might not need any more tests tonight (+11 is always a good idea if you can get it though).

17. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Sure, you could actually test at +3 to see where Basil is going--He's so cute!! But any tests you do tonite, leave food out for him, just in case he drops..So, +4 would also be good as long as you are up.

18. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 12/28 Basil +4=121

Just tested Basil at +4 and got 121. Looks pretty steady. I left him some food in case he drops. We will test him again in the morning unless you think we should do a +6. Thanks!

19. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 12/28 Basil +2.5=121 Questions

I would get a +6 or a +8. If it is in the same range as the +4, then no worries until morning. A +11 is always nice to have, but you do not want to feed that number unless it is very low (below 50), and at that point of the cycle only LC should be used unless extremely low (like below 30). Remember we try to not feed for 2 hours prior to each preshot in order to get a preshot that does not have food influence. If the number is below 50 then that is one thing, but otherwise you would want to hold off until PS time.

Leaving out LC wet is generally fine. A scenario where you may want to leave HC wet would be something like this:

You shoot a PS of 150 and take a +1 of 70 and you have to leave and will not be back until +4. That kind of drop early in the cycle without someone being around to monitor would make HC wet a prudent choice. Otherwise, LC wet is preferred.

With the way we work up to the doses using the protocol we use, and the general nature of Lantus, actual clinical symptomatic hypos are rare. I've been posting in Lantus Land for nearly a year and have never seen one . Low numbers happen certainly, even in the 20's or below, but most of the time all that is seen is hunger and food is used to control it. Sasha has been as low as 22 herself and was only hungry, and HC wet in that case brought her right back up.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to dismiss the idea that actual symptomatic hypoglycemia can occur. It is just quite rare with the way we use the L insulins.

20. joyce-tuscany(GA)

Beautiful numbers - I see you did do the +4. It will be interesting to see where Basil goes in the next days.

21. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thanks for all the info about the food for tomorrow. That will be very helpful. We'll go ahead and get a +6 and a +11 tonight.

22. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 12/28 Basil +8.5=126 +11=139

So, last night's summary:

PMPS = 84
    +1 = 123
    +2.5 = 121
    +4 = 121
    +6 = 145
    +8 = 126
    +11 = 139

We are going to be gone today from +1 until +8.

How does this look?

I'll post AMPS in about 40 min.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.