12/29 Gentle AMPS 236

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pat or DC and Gentle, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat or DC and Gentle

Pat or DC and Gentle Well-Known Member

Gentle is doing great. doing the 5 p's. He had great numbers in the + PM. We fed a little snack when his numbers got so low. We are concerned about the +3 +4 drop this AM. should we snack again?? and when do we drop his dose?? it's been about a week at 3.5? It appears the liver is not rebounding at he low numbers, are we in danger of hypo G now???

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Nice numbers for Gentle. Dose advisor will advise about dose, they know when and how much. Glad he is doing well.

3. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Nice greens last night!
    I don't see any numbers yet that call for a dose decrease. Numbers need to go under 50 to earn a decrease on a newly diagnosed cat. Keep testing and posting and we'll help you.

4. Pat or DC and Gentle

Hello, thank you. Gentle is not newly diagnosed....... he had been on 5 units for about 18 months. The reduction to 3 units was a result of the DKA episode/emerg. vet visit.
    We began a reduced carb diet on Dec 4, 2009.
    My main concern, if the liver is not sending out sugar for a rebound, will we be susceptible for a hypo-gly episode??

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of things...

Since you are new to the forum (and with all of the changes to the Board), the assumption is probably that Gentle is a newly diagnosed diabetic. If you could put the date of Gentle's diagnosis into your signature, you won't have to keep reminding everyone.

For a kitty who has been diabetic for more than a year, BG needs to drop below 30. Given that this is an established treatment protocol backed by research, if it weren't safe for a cat to reach those numbers, the protocol would not survive. Many (most) of the cats here reach these low numbers and do not have symptoms of hypoglycemia. Rather, we are able to manage the numbers with food. Most vets get very nervous with numbers under 150 and will suggest what we would consider extreme measures (e.g., karo) for numbers that would not earn a decrease. If you see someone asking for help with a low number, read the condo. Depending on where the number is, we feed -- it may be LC, MC or HC food. Numbers in the 30s or lower typically get HC (but ECID and some will respond to LC). The first time you get a low number, it's a bit nerve wracking. You'll become confident of your ability to steer the direction of Gentle's numbers and people will be here to help you.

As for feeding, I give Gabby about a teaspoon of food every couple of hours. This is referred to as feeding the curve. If I'm not home, I leave food in a timed feeder or I make 'catsickles' and leave them out. (Catsickles are a combination of cat food and enough water to make the mixture soupy. I freeze the mixture in an ice cube tray.) It can help to keep your kitty surfing as well as soften a sharp rise or drop.

6. Pat or DC and Gentle

Re: Re: 12/29 Gentle +7 133

Hello,

Thank you, I'll put his diagnosis date on the signature so it will show up in future posts.

He's doing well though much more like himself, he slept alot more today.

Thanks
    DonnCherie

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I believe the protocol is a dose reduction is earned if the BG goes below 50 for newly diagnosed kittys, and below 40 for those not newly diagnosed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

8. Pat or DC and Gentle

Re: 12/29 Gentle PMPS 232

Well we've come full circle today :D He looks good, and has a healthy appetite.
    Have a good night all!

DonnCherie

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

looking good. :)

Generally we do dose reductions on longer term diabetics when they go below 40. Do keep posting, though, because we look at everything on a case-by-case basis so there are other factors that can signal a reduction. I don't see it yet, but I do think Gentle is getting close to asking for a reduction so you might be seeing lower numbers soon.

You do have high carb wet food on hand, correct? That, along with testing, is our best tool for avoiding hypo. You get the tests so you know which way his numbers are going, and if you don't like the numbers you know that a bit of gravy will bring him right up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.