12/30 Butters PMPS 61/+1 110/+2 113/+4.5 77

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday, a cute AMPS, Butters:rolleyes:. It wasn't very polite. She partially made up for this by trotting after the red dot for a short while (first time in months), thereby earning her fifth "P":woot:. By the end of the day, she bounced up to 302.

Today, she still seems to be feeling good <anti-jinx>: belly is soft, and her BG came down overnight. I'm guessing that the impact of the skipped shot and reduction hasn't hit her numbers yet.

Have a great day, all.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Abdullah, tiffmaxee, Tomlin and 2 others like this.
  2. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

looking good today, butters.
    remember your manners.

JaxBenji likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Butters is feeling good and playing. I hope she surfs safely today.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Nice start for Butters :cat: Glad to hear she's feeling well (and earning her playing "P" without bending the definition!)
    Yet much more polite than the 30s :p Take what you can get lol.

Have a wonderful day, Lyla :bighug:

5. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Butters is looking great! have a great day Lyla

6. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Lookin’ good pretty girl! Bring it down easy, Butters.

7. Colio

Colio Member

Hope it's a easy day surfing today for Butters and that you have caught up on some sleep! :bighug:

8. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Blame it on all the fun had at the pawty last night.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I know I don't need to say this but keep an eye on Butters' numbers. He's been heading back down since last night.

Butters & Lyla and Tomlin like this.
  11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Not happening :bighug:! You didn’t lose the optimism shirt did you :rolleyes:? It is all good!!

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Lyla , I hope Butters surfs safely today.Have a good day Lyla.
    Be a good girl Butters ♥:bighug::bighug::cat:

13. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Keep it blue, Miss Butters. Have a lovely day, Lyla!

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Looks like Butters cleared the bounce. Nice and flat with a touch of green would be nice Butters.

15. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

She's already there - 79 at +4! :eek:
    I'm stalking her SS in wonder!

16. tiffmaxee

I think there was insulin resistance plus the pancreatitis driving the numbers up. I am very relieved to see that her belly is nice and soft. Very, very, relieved. I think the pancreatitis will soon be totally a memory if not already. I could be wrong and maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I’m thinking you think dropping the dose too quickly might result in needing to go back up. I’m just bringing this up for discussion. I’m trying to figure out what has happened as we see the bounces clearing so quickly. @Marje and Gracie @Wendy&Neko

17. Butters & Lyla

I had to go out very unexpectedly but urgently. Of course her numbers were dropping. I fed her 16% @+4 before I left. I loaded the auto feeder:
    16% for +5 & +6
    LC @+7
    I came home and she is 88 @+8.

I'm constantly checking that belly! Especially when her numbers are higher.

I'm wondering what has happened, too, because something seems to have changed lately. In six days her dose went from 4.25U to 3.5U, plus in those six days there was a BCS of 2.25U and a skipped shot. That is a lot less insulin in a short period of time. But if I did need to go back up after all of these reductions, I'm guessing I wouldn't have to chase her as much as I did before to get her numbers down again.

I looked at henry's spreadsheet, and Robert did three reductions in six days if you count from 12/8, and then another three reductions in six days starting from 12/15! That's a pretty wild ride.

LOL! I still have the shirt:bighug:. I'm totally fine with the numbers. I'm just expecting to see more of an impact (ie higher numbers for a longer period)....and like, another night of sleep wouldn't be the worst thing ever:p.

Thank you. I'm glad you say it. I always appreciate the observation and advice!

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sometimes cats will see a little action the second cycle after a skip. Regardless,, nice to see greens again. :D We talked before about glucose toxicity being a possibility. Breaking through that can sometimes a few quick reductions. At this point, just speculation. Follow what the numbers say to do.

Butters & Lyla and tiffmaxee like this.
  19. tiffmaxee

@Wendy&Neko Thanks. I also am thinking the pancreatitis has subsided. I’m thinking it might be time to withdraw one thing. Gabapentin maybe?

Abdullah and Butters & Lyla like this.
  20. Butters & Lyla

I could try withdrawing one dose. She is getting it q8. Could go to q12.

Tomlin and tiffmaxee like this.
  21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Wendy especially on the point that we need to see where she is headed and adjust accordingly. I guess I thought you were going to wean her off gabapentin based on a quick discussion Amy and I had with you the other day?? Thought I remembered you would slowly take her off the gabapentin and then increase the bupe a bit if she needs it?

Butters is on a mission.
    C372D6F9-CFED-418E-AC78-2EF68C28B8A2.jpeg

22. Butters & Lyla

That picture:joyful:...LOL.

You and Amy did discuss it with me, and it was very helpful. I think my decision after the discussion was that I should wean her off gabapentin first but not necessarily that I was going to start that day. The better numbers were so recent, and her pain has seemed to be so up and down until very recently, that I hesitated. I just needed a couple more days of good BGs and no signs of pain returning to feel confident in removing a dose. Elise has been following Butters' ups and downs with her hard belly (a sign of pain I believe) since she came home from the hospital in October, so having her suggest that today would be a good day to try removing it gave me the little push I needed to just do it.

I did start today. She is now on a q12 schedule for the gabapentin. I'm keeping the bupe the same unless I think I see a sign that I need to increase it.

23. Butters & Lyla

On 12/29 I wasn't able to read through the thoughts and suggestions on my condo that day. Now that I've had a chance to, I did want to respond, fwiw, mainly to thank you for taking the time. And to @tiffmaxee Elise who asked me about my concerns about the MC & HC foods, and who asked for suggestions. I've read them all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is similarity to some of what you're both saying. And Butters' vet has also said similar. In simple terms (because I am a person with zero science background:) trying hard to learn), he explained to me that the organs are closely associated in function. He, and the IM vet he consults with, isn't ruling out the possibility that IBD or Triaditis could be lurking and show up at some point even though the u/s did not show any markers for these conditions. I'm not yet sure what it means in terms of her future treatment/diet, just that he is keeping this in mind.

I believe this aligns with my goal for Butters of being "well-regulated".
    I only prop her up with other foods when it is absolutely needed. It has been needed a lot, lately. I'm not sure why her numbers have been going so much lower. She isn't back to being regulated yet, which is what my vet wanted me to try to do as first order of business (while we work together on diet) I will continue to be diligent about taking any decreases,, BCS's and skipped shots.

Butters' everyday LC diet is currently homemade raw pork with a premix. I hope to introduce other proteins down the road. I tried beef but that did not go well. Although she did okay eating a little beef ZiwiPeak from time to time in the past. I would sometimes use it as a higher low carb food.

I have some ZiwiPeak Venison from before Butters' CKD dx. I bought it because I thought it was an LC food but it is MC. That will be a better option for Butters than the MC & HC Weruva I currently use, so I'm going to try a switch to that. It has fewer ingredients. Her previous freeze dried raw, and canned food, had green lipped mussels and it seemed like that wasn't an issue. I will add some golden syrup (sugar syrup) to make it HC.

Thank you again.

Tomlin and Marje and Gracie like this.
  24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You are spot on.

Got it :) Thank you for the history. Elise is a gift with her knowledge of pancreatitis and I know she’s been of great value to you and Butters :kiss::kiss:. She’s awesome to have on your side.