12/30...Elmo's New Vet...

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hello all !!!! Just got back from first visit with new vet and HE MAINLY USES LANTUS !!!!!!!! He feels Elmo' s high BGs last week were probably stress related, that he is close to remission, that teeth,kidneys need watched but no inflammation/infection and I should go ahead and use my local vet for T4 tests for Elmo's thyroid. Recommended starting Elmo on 1/4 unit Lantus,continuing to home test . Only place where we differed is he highly encouraged me to take Elmo off insulin for week to 10 days before Lantus cos he thinks Elmo is in beginning remission now....I could just hear you all( especially Mogs) screaming in my head"NOOOO...." but I smiled and nodded. Hoping this positive news puts some wind beneath all your wings as u care for Mittens. Please let me know if there is a GoFund Me set up or other avenue thru which money could be sent to help with vet costs. Oh, and a PS...Dr Enderson looks exactly like and has the same gentle demeanor as my precious son-in-law.....that was my cherry on the top

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice that you like your new vet. It's funny how ' people' from here tend to be with us at vet appointments.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Beth 73

Oh my goodness, so true :) .....in my head chatting it up the whole appointment !!!!

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is great news, Beth! Will be looking for more info from you later ...

5. Kris & Teasel

Beth, check for a PM now please.

6. Kris & Teasel

Please tell us more about Elmo, your vet visit, starting Lantus, etc. We'd love to learn more. :)

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry to be so late seeing this but so pleased things went so well at the new vet. Sounds like Elmo and you are in good hands. As Kris said, tell us more!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Beth 73

:bighug:Good morning to you all :):bighug: . Yes, the visit could not have gone better( right down to the fact he could be my son in law, Chris, brother in appearance and gentle demeanor...didn't realize til I got in car to head home that that fact had added a wonderful familiar sense about it all). Dr Enderson is a huge Lantus proponent and starts all his patients on it. He was so gentle with Elmo although Elmo was not on best behavior...might have been cos first thing they did was whisk him to the back to weigh and take his temp....THAT did not go over well and set the tone for the rest of visit. Doc was impressed with the SS, was familiar with FDMB, said Elmo needs teeth cleaning but not right now. He is definitely a go low and slow vet but did think Elmo should be bumped up to full thy Rx ( but I will give the 3/4 dose a few more weeks then take to local vet to check. )As I said in earlier post, he encouraged me to immediately take Elmo off vetsulin and give him a 10 day to two week OTJ trial, just as you all had forewarned me of. Then if that didn't take start the Lantus. I nodded and smiled :)...he loved Elmo's numbers, believes he is in early remission and that my .25 minus a drop is probably not even therapeutic at this time. All in all an exhausting but very good day in contrast to sweet Mittens, Dan and Heather....and all of you who fought the good fight right along side them. My heart, prayers and thots are with everyone involved. FDMB is truly a family.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Beth 73

Oh, Linda, absolutely no apologies necessary. I was in the FDMB "grandstands" cheering Mittens and you all on.What I witnessed is the kind of devotion found in tight, loving, have-ur-back families. You are amazing .....I really , once again, have no words :bighug::bighug::bighug:.Just praying now for everyone to have peace and be restored. Will be holding Dan, Heather and you all who were intimately involved close to my heart in coming days.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

So glad that it went so well, Beth! Going out now to do errands and hope it distracts me from all the sad business of yesterday. :(

11. Beth 73

Dearest Kris...that will be thots and prayer for you this very day ...peace for mind and soul :bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Your new vet sounds like a dream. We all have those tiny details we don't agree with the vet about (my main ones was testing for a rare high dose condition and of course an admonishment that I really didn't need to test so often) but that is to be expected. We live with these critters 24/7 so we get to know them intimately which no vet ever will and that makes us the most knowledgeable about their care in many if not most situations. Interesting discussion about those low doses somewhere on the board here....I think it's in the Think Tank. It very much depends on the cat and Elmo looks like he's just not a greedy guy when it comes to insulin! FYI some cats have needed just a couple of drops to see a difference in their BG. This speaks to the value of hands on vs. book learning. Book learning is the foundation but the real knowledge comes from being able to puzzle out different situations and deal with them when they weren't covered in the text. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. Beth 73

@Kris & Teasel @MrWorfMen's Mom .....today Elmo looked like this after a great last night BG:
    AMPS....161
    1.5. 120
    3.5. 151
    PMPS. 216
    Is this considered a bounce from yesterday's stress vet trip ??? Do I stick to .25 minus small drop as I did a Christmas night at 202 ???? Guess I'm needing some Kitty Cavalry reassuranceo_O

14. Kris & Teasel

I say 0.25 u minus small drop, Beth. If this is a bounce it's a very small one - Elmo's version. I saw those greens you had last night!

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm with Kris. 0.25 minus small drop. Elmo looks good in green but Mama probably likes blue better for her own peace of mind! ;););)
    I'm guessing he's bouncing a little from those greens last night. He's rarely been that low lately so he has to get used to it again. Dang defense system kicks in and you get higher pre-shots. Such is the dance!

16. Beth 73

Kris, I know!!! Greens got me excited especially after the 200 mid afternoon ! Thanks for response...I know I'm silly and did not really want to bother you all as u recover from the past days. Just to know you all are out there is reassuring in itself. I hope you, Linda and Mogs are being restored . I want to be like each of you when I grow up :rolleyes:

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

Oh no, Beth, we don't want to grow up! Where's the fun in that?? I really don't want to succumb to "old fart" disease ...

Critter Mom and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  18. Beth 73

Thank u, Linda...you doing better today? I hope so. Have had you all on my heart all day long....praying for your hearts to heal and strength restored. As I just told Kris, I want to be just like you all when I grow up:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Be careful what you wish for! :D:D:D:D

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. MrWorfMen's Mom

It's been a difficult day but I finally ate and am feeling a tad better right now although I am still exhausted. This board is like a two edged blade. One day we're jubilating about kitties like Elmo and their Beans and every so often there is a Mittens. I think I now know why my vet told me her job makes her feel like a manic depressive sometimes. One minute rejoicing and the next devastated. This Xmas was brutal with all the kitties in trouble or close to. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. Beth 73

Just know there are many
    Just know there are many of us, tho we could not directly help, were and still are holding you all up. Wish there was a way to transfer strength to each of you. My heart is heavy and I hope it somehow lifts a little of the load:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    . Said it before, will say it again...you all are my heroes.

22. Beth 73

Just reread your posts, Linda and Kris, and realized that instead of the greens scaring me I was thrilled with them. Heard Kris in my head say "trust your gut" and I let the greens be, no steering , to see where he went. Because of you all spending so much time with us I have confidence and knowledge ....it's a powerful and peaceful place thanks to you all:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Great! Those high greens are what you want to see!

24. Beth 73

Thanks Janet !!! :D:D:D

25. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good morning Beth. A couple of pics of winter wonderland for you to enjoy. I'd be happy not to be hogging all this white stuff! LOL!! More shovelling UGGGGHH! IMG_20161229_081426.jpg

IMG_20161229_081444.jpg

26. Kris & Teasel

I have more of that white stuff to share too!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  27. Beth 73

Ahhhhh....stop it , stop it !!!! I am green with jealousy :D:D:D:D:D

28. Beth 73

Oh,no, not u too, Kris !!! You both have no idea how badly we want it to snow. Long range forecast says maybe end of next week.Hey, if u two got together and blew REALLY hard in a SWerly direction we would be glad to take snow off ur hands :)

29. MrWorfMen's Mom

Green....my favourite colour. Oh for more green either outside or on Menace's spreadsheet! :woot:
    Arranging a refrigerated truck now! Let you know expected delivery date!:D

30. Beth 73

SS Question: when I switch to Lantus and human meter do I start new SS or abridge current one ????

31. Kris & Teasel

Seeing as the New Year is almost upon us, you could start a new SS using one of the templates for the human meter. When you post on the L forum the conversation is almost exclusively in terms of a human meter because the dosing protocol is based on vet research that gives BG guidelines from human meter readings. IMO they should have included pet meter readings too but not my call ...

32. Beth 73

Thanks, Kris... I agree on the meter...my Freestyle just arrived and I'm going to practice with it along side my AT til insulin comes to get a feel of operational differences as well as readings differences....

33. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Beth- great news to hear about Elmo's vet visit! When does he start the Lantus? What did you decide about giving him a trial OTJ run before starting the new insulin? Ozzy and I will be following you guys!

34. Beth 73

Good morning all ....still no snow here so I still have fluffy white envy of Linda and Kris. Gotta get over that for the time being:). We are waiting on Lantus to arrive, have our new meter, strips and syringes ready and will continue to take notes on L stickies today. Do have a question tho: I will be gone on Sunday from +1.5 until +6... first time I've left Elmo early in the cycle since early in December. What can I do to help keep him in safe numbers while gone? I will be taking AMPS and +1.5 .....Wanting him safe and my mind at peace for those few hours.

35. Kris & Teasel

Hi Beth,
    Give him a dose that you know is a teeny bit on the low side - 0.25 u minus a large drop? That should help you feel better while you're away tomorrow.

36. Beth 73

Hello Jo and Ozzy :bighug:.......we start Lantus as soon as it arrives from Marks...with bookend holidays shipment is a little slower but has given me time to read Lantus Stickies and get new meter, syringes and practice with them. I am going with Mogs expert advice and going straight from vetsulin to L to give Elmo's pancreas more time to heal and operate in good numbers instead of cold turkey. Mogs explained it so well, made such good common sense so we r going with Lantus to usher Elmo into remission . Have u made any decisions about Ozzy as u go back to work? That is a big decision that I've not had to make because I am semi retired and here as much as needed. Will be thinking and praying for you to have extra wisdom about ur next steps with sweet Ozzy

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Beth 73

Thank u, thank u Kris....exactly what my gut said , to do what I'd do if wanting an uneventful overnight...how is Teasel doing ??? Teasel has been on my mind lately :bighug:

38. Kris & Teasel

He's OK, just being his usual bouncy self ... I'm accustomed to it. :)

39. MrWorfMen's Mom

Hi Beth, I agree with Kris and you.....a tiny bit lower dose and Elmo should be fine. The other trick some folks use is to freeze cat food in an ice cube tray and then put that out before you leave so as it thaws, Elmo has something to munch on should he feel the need.

On the snow front, I went outside and tried to blow some your way, but it ain't budging! Just got snow cleaned up yesterday and got another tiny fall last night. They are predicting more flurries tonight and then the possibility of mixed precipitation or rain tomorrow. Make for a very messy clean up. Oh well it is after all winter but very unusual to be getting rain storms between snow falls.

40. Olive & Paula

Well I have 3" of new snow I can send. Suppose to get more over the weekend. I offer autosphipping.

41. MrWorfMen's Mom

Hey Paula, I tried to get a refrigerated truck but they seem to be in short supply given the holidays! :woot:

42. Beth 73

:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::bighug:

43. Beth 73

Hey Linda...and I am still waiting on said truck ;)

44. Beth 73

Thank u, oh wonderful and benevolent fairy godmother of Elmo...;):bighug::)

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  45. Beth 73

Lantus update...after several snafus the Lantus is on its way today...seems our credit card company is not use to seeing me shop outside our small town of 3000 and flagged the order causing delay...I will choose to be appreciative of their vigilance instead of frustrated by the delay :):rolleyes::cat:

46. MrWorfMen's Mom

Didn't they call you about it right away or were they delayed because of the holiday too?

Critter Mom likes this.
  47. Beth 73

48. Beth 73

I am tech you challenged ....thank you for bearing with me:confused:....my reply is buried above in your posto_O @MrWorfMen's Mom

49. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh Beth, you may very well find the FS strips are expensive although I'm surprised they would be almost the same as the AT strips. I pay about $76 for 100 strips at Walmart which now is less than half of what the AT2 strips cost but that is in Cdn bucks so I'd expect your cost to be less. There have however been a couple of other US folks mention how expensive the FS strips were for them and if memory serves they all seemed to be living in very small communities or rural. I know you don't want to ditch that meter but seriously, if there is a Walmart nearby your best economical meter would be the ReliOn Confirm or Micro. Both take only a small amount of blood and there are a huge number of folks using them here so they are reliable. There is another ReliOn meter called Prime that has cheaper strips but it requires more blood and there have been complaints about wasting strips so the savings get lost due to waste. If you can't return the FS Freedom, you could donate it to DCIN. I'm sure they would be thrilled to take it off your hands or you could keep it just for a backup.

Critter Mom likes this.
  50. Beth 73

My credit card company isn't use to seeing me use it much outside of our town , Amazon or the small city of Springfield near us...I bet that Canadian charge set off fireworks with the fraud folk :eek:

51. Beth 73

So far I like the look of the FS Freedom and am going to look for the strips in Springfield ....the FS has a familiar feel to th AT that I like ....also $76 for 100 is half of AT strips...I paid $55 for box of 50 AT strips so $76 for 100 would be less than half price. I know I'll be able to find them in Springfield just 40 minutes south of us...we are there every Sunday so I can stock up !!! What features caused you to get the Freedom Lite???

52. MrWorfMen's Mom

Same strips for it and could be used in AT2 in a pinch, same shape meter albeit a bit smaller and consumer reports rating. I like the side loading strips and having used the end loading ones a few times, I just don't find them as comfortable and to some degree downright clumsy but that could just be me and habit. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  53. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh BTW I have the FS Lite not the Freedom Lite. The Freedom Lite has been discontinued here but had same good rating. RATS!

54. Beth 73

Linda, I got mine online on Amazon just recently .....what is the difference between the FS Lite and Freedom Lite ???

55. MrWorfMen's Mom

The Freedom Lite is the meter from which the AT2 was derived. Same exterior but different colour and of course programming. The FS Lite is a smaller version with the addition of a light at the test strips I suppose so you can test in a darker area??? I've never used the light. Smaller screen too and harder to see but very discreet for human users I guess.

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Kris & Teasel

FYI Beth - if I buy AT strips from my vet, it's $102 CAD for 50 strips! That's why I use the FS Lite strips in my AT meter unless I need to double check a number. I can get 100 FS Lite strips for $72 CAD.

57. Beth 73

Kris, $102 !!!!! That's outrageous !!! I feel like I need to do human meter to make it easier on Lantus forum and this FS Freedom Lite feels familiar operational wise....it seems a good mid way between AT I've become accustomed to and the other brands mentioned. Will be excited to check Super Wal Marts on Sunday...I know I'll find FS Lite strips there...so glad I have you all that I trust your experience and insight so armed with my research and your trusted opinion I move forward confidently. Thank you once again from the bottom of my heart :bighug::bighug::bighug:

58. Olive & Paula

Fraud department called me regarding a charge in Australia. I like that they called, when I told them it was legit they sort of chuckled because it was flea treatment. I explained how I don't need a script and I can buy larger quantity (5 cats then) and it was cheaper than US. The U.S. needs a script and would only let me buy a 6 pack. He couldn't believe it. I said you will see this transaction every 3-4 months so please mark account to let it go through. I've had no problems since 2009.

Critter Mom likes this.
  59. Olive & Paula

When I checked out using FS strips at Wal-Mart. This was 1 year ago. They were actually more expensive than the AT strips ordered on line.

60. Beth 73

Well there goes my " she " money :rolleyes:;)

61. Beth 73

Paula, that's an awesome idea to give CC company a heads up...will remember that !!

62. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, I checked the US Walmart site and it appears even their price is out of this world compared to ours. $144.28 for 100 strips. YIKES!:eek::eek::eek: I thought we were harder up for costs other than insulin but it seems I was way off base. Your prices are nothing short of highway robbery! You however do have the option of getting one of the ReliOn meters (micro or confirm) which we cannot get here. Might be something to think about because we all need a little "she" money and Mamma Bean needs a little treat now and then for all her hard work! :)

Critter Mom and Beth 73 like this.
  63. Olive & Paula

MMMMMM CHOCOLATE !!!! :p:p

64. Beth 73

You two crack me up...will see what I find on Sunday at the World of Super Wal Mart:woot::nailbiting:....maybe Walgreens too...

65. Beth 73

If I do change meters, which one of those remaining do you think best and why??? I value and trust your opinions.

66. Olive & Paula

I switched to relion micro. The confirm and micro are the same, use the same strip. Only difference is the size of meter. Confirm is the style of the AT. The micro is slim and trim, surprised me how much easier it was to hold.

67. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'd be a little more skeptical of any Walgreens meters. While I have no proof I've seen some reports here of some "off" brand less popular meters (may or may not have been Walgreens) not being as accurate. I'd stick with what we know the best from this site so I vote with Paula..... Relion Confirm or Micro. :)

68. Beth 73

Thank you, thank you ...my SUper Duper Wal Mart list grows !!!
    You girls are my best !!! Lantus is shipped so yippppeeee !!!!

69. Beth 73

@Kris & Teasel Good morning,Kris and Happy 2017 ! Double checking on dose for this AM as I will be gone from +1.5 until +7 ish....first time leaving during early cycle in weeks...also would it be good to give food before I go and leave some down ?? His AMPS and particularly PMPS continue to run bit higher since 12/19 and then 12/27 vet visits ...

70. Beth 73

Went ahead with .25 minus fat drop...that's a tiny dose o_O....will check BG at +1.5 and probably feed some and leave some down....

71. Kris & Teasel

Hi Beth - and Happy New Year to you too! I think the same dose is good, ie., 0.25 u minus a small drop. It's your decision about the food. He seems to be safe at that dose but if you feel better leaving a little something out, go ahead. :)

72. Kris & Teasel

He'll be fine, Beth. you have to do what you're comfortable with in these situations. Elmo will be fine.

73. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, Elmo will be just fine and you need a day out to enjoy yourself. So have fun! I always leave food out even if Menace is up in the stratosphere before I leave for any lengthy engagements just because it makes me feel better, so go with your gut. I always figure if she pigs out and stays high, this too shall pass! Remember it's a balance! :D:D

74. Beth 73

:bighug::)

75. Beth 73

Thank u, Linda:bighug::)

76. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Our main vet said similar to me about the small drops of insulin being of no therapeutic significance but revised his view when he saw Saoirse's data for times she did and didn't get the drop; it made the difference.

The signal that I'd look for in Elmo's data is that he goes outside the normoglycaemic range when doses wear off and Vetsulin is not a suitable insulin to use when trying to tightly regulate a cat in the lower part of the normal range so as to allow the pancreas to rest longer, promote further regeneration of beta cell function and readjust the kitty's homeostatic 'setpoint' for glucose control within the body (makes for a much more solid remission). All going well, some time on Lantus will get the Buddha Kitteh all the way. (Anti-jinx!)

Regarding the debate about whether really tiny amounts of medication can make any difference it is worth looking at how hard it can be to withdraw from benzodiazepines. The main part of a taper program can be relatively straightforward but when one is just about to go off the med it becomes extremely difficult. The tiniest fraction of a 2mg tablet can leave one feeling fairly OK. Stop taking that little crumb of diazepam and very soon after that really severe physiological withdrawal symptoms can start up. Take a tiny crumb of diazepam again and it pretty much stops the withdrawal symptoms in their tracks. (Some people crush the tablets and mix them with water so that they can give themselves drop doses in order to stave off withdrawal symptoms.)

I've been through benzo withdrawal (meds were prescribed long-term because nothing else helped with the PTSD anxiety) and frankly I was both astounded and frightened by what a medication can do to one's system. I went through several months of abject misery and a great deal of pain after I had the last microdose. I believe only about 30% of people who attempt it manage to successfully taper off benzos after long term use. Having gone through the process myself I can understand why.

Mogs

77. MrWorfMen's Mom

All medications/hormones cause some chemical/hormonal changes in the body no matter how tiny the dose. Pity many medical professionals discount that a tiny dose can make a difference. Every living being is unique and while some may not have a noticeable effect from a tiny dose, others will have a profound one. Elmo appears to be one of those kitties who needs a little tiny bit of help to get over the final hump! FINGERS CROSSED! :D:D:D:D

How was your day out Beth? Hope you had a good worry free time! :bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  78. Beth 73

Good morning-ish Linda :bighug:.....yes, thanks to ur and Kris's reassurance my day out was concern free..I followed ur lead ab upping Elmo's dose to full 2.5 mg ( morning only for now) Thy Rx first time today...I had been sensing same direction so ur comment was affirmation !!! My plan is to continue to post in Main Forum as warranted , keeping you, Mogs and Kris up to date and get ur invaluable insight on Elmo's progress . After these last months, you all are family to us and I can't go long without advice and contact !!!!

79. Critter Mom

:cat: :cool: :cat:

:bighug:

Mogs

80. MrWorfMen's Mom

We'll be keeping an eye on Elmo's journey down his new path and cheering you both on. You can switch insulin but you can't hide from us!:bighug::bighug::bighug::cat::cat::cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  81. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:......you all stuck with us for certain !!!!

MrWorfMen's Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  82. Kris & Teasel

I agree! We know where you are Beth ... ;)

83. Critter Mom

Just wish I could follow. :(

84. Kris & Teasel

Mogs, Beth is planning to post on the main forum with updates. Like you, I find the look of the entries on the L forum confusing and visually jarring.

85. Critter Mom

It triggers a massive adrenal flight response in me. I find reading quite a struggle at the best of times these days (working memory is shot from the PTSD) but I just cannot assimilate the information on the Lantus board at all.

Mogs

86. Beth 73

I must admit I find it visually intimidating but understand it's structure for its sheer volume of people needing its help. I have all but quit going to shopping malls /large stores due to too much visually going on. I am such a Hobbit , truly I am ...and happy for it :)

87. Kris & Teasel

I hear you about large malls and stores! Hobbits rule! :)

88. Critter Mom

Ditto.

Because of the PTSD I can't cope with any visual 'busyness'; my brain can't filter out anything any more and my senses get completely overwhelmed.

89. Critter Mom

Brandybuck, Took, or Baggins? ;)

90. Beth 73

Now that choice, dear Mogs, would take some thought .....maybe a Gamgee:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  91. Kris & Teasel

Baggins all the way! I want that house!! :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  92. Beth 73

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:And Elmo and I could be ur gardeners:):cat:

93. Critter Mom

With that sort of agenda surely you're a Sackville-Baggins??? :eek: ;) ;)

Besides, I saw the house first; hands off, Kris!!! :p :D

94. Critter Mom

An excellent choice, Beth! (Master Samwise is a true hero - and wonderfully kind and loyal to boot!)

95. Critter Mom

96. Kris & Teasel

I LOVE this! I've always been a fan of cute and cozy rather than huge and sprawling when it comes to houses. I find them enchanting.

Critter Mom likes this.
  97. Olive & Paula

Love this house.

Critter Mom likes this.
  98. Critter Mom

Same here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.