12/30 Peter-Ketones-not eating-Vet appt today-what to shoot in the AM?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barbara and Peter, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Barbara and Peter

Barbara and Peter Member

Not doing well since last night (lethargic, eating very little). Ketone pee-stick low or moderate. Drinking and walking a bit only. I managed to make an appointment at a vet at +4. Gave appetite stimulant in the middle of the night.

This morning he is not eating (he ate a bit of tuna in the middle of the night at +10).

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

With ketones in the picture, you should not be skipping the shot. What was the ketone reading today?

Barbara and Peter likes this.
  3. Barbara and Peter

Barbara and Peter Member

On his pee stick the ketones showed 'Moderate'.

He is eating now! Offered his usual food as well as tuna and he wanted nothing. He DEVOURED the 'Whiskas cuts in gravy perfect portions', but that is carb food!

4. Bandit's Mom

We need him to eat and drink water and he will need insulin. The vet appointment is in 4 hours? Less?

5. Bandit's Mom

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What's his glucose? It might be ok to shoot given the high carb. With ketones you don't want to miss insulin if at all possible.

7. Barbara and Peter

Barbara and Peter Member

less than 3 hours.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Can you remove the "911" from your subject line?

9. Barbara and Peter

Barbara and Peter Member

Removed. When I feed him snacks, can I use the same high carb food he liked in the morning.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can but it will play havoc with your cat's BG numbers. Getting a cat whose ketones are elevated to eat can be a challenge. Ketones develop if there's not enough insulin, not enough calories, and often because there's an infection or inflammation present. In other words, the food is important. Getting fluid (water) into your cat is also important -- it helps to dilute the ketones.

If the vet thinks it's fine to manage this at home (and you may need to learn how to give subcutaneous fluids), make sure you discuss a plan if the situation worsens. It's a holiday coming up. You want to be sure you know that to do/where to go if Peter isn't back to himself or if you're seeing that the ketones are still a problem. Ketone levels can change quickly and always at an inconvenient time. I'd encourage you to have a plan that hopefully you will not need.

tiffmaxee and Barbara and Peter like this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you back home now? Have you had a chance to get another BG test in today? Good to see the latest ketones test is low.

Did Peter get fluids or anything else at the vet today?

12. Barbara and Peter

Barbara and Peter Member

Hello, Thanks for checking in. The visit was a quick in and out. They only took samples and gave me a couple of missing supplies to do at home fluids. I will be checking him at night. He was ravenous for the high carb food all day, but ate his regular food a bit too. I was reading about giving diabetic people with DKA dextrose to bind with insulin and reset the body from trying to use fats for energy (the best I understood it). I wondered if Peter is looking for carbs for a similar reason. Anyways, I understand now that this is going to be awhile until we can really be clear of that ketone problem (if ever). Hoping to hear from the vet tomorrow about any underlying issues.
    Thanks for your support everyone!

13. Wendy&Neko

Did you get any tests in during the day? Sometimes cats that are going low will be searching for high carb food.

14. Barbara and Peter

Barbara and Peter Member

I am checking him, but so far he seems to be trending high. I am going to be vigilant tho. You are right about the carb seeking tho...

15. Wendy&Neko

What happened to the 2020 data on your spreadsheet? We do like to see the previous data when helping you out with dosing.