12/31 Butters PMBG 47/+0.5 61/+1.5 56/+2.5 99

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday Butters missed a +8 snack in her auto feeder overnight. You know, the auto feeder that is literally right next to her while she sleeps:confused:. She ate the +10 snack, though, and her full breakfast.

This morning, her belly was harder than it has been lately. I was concerned. She is getting the gabapentin @+1 each cycle (as of yesterday). By @+2, her belly was noticeably softer and she was acting snuggly/happy.
    I don't know if this is a coincidence. Too soon to say, I think. I'm going to increase the bupe a tiny bit and will continue to observe.

We are on cycle four of 3.5U.

Have a great day, all.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Abdullah, Tomlin and JOJI and Kit like this.
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

So many variables for you to juggle. Hope Butters feels ok for the rest of the day. Take care, Lyla!

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You are doing a fabulous job with Butters! Look at her rock the greens!

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Shall we start a betting pool for the next lime? ;)

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

6. Butters & Lyla

83 @AMPS - raw breakfast
    67 @+2.5 - fed a little raw
    59 @+3.5 - fed a little 13% (since it is early in the cycle to have dropped from 83 to 59)
    56 @+4 - fed a little raw

7. tiffmaxee

How’s her weight? I keep forgetting to ask you? You don’t think a little 13% is needed?

8. Colio

Colio Member

Butters is keeping you very busy these days :) Hope the slide stops for today :bighug:

9. Butters & Lyla

I fed her 13% at +3.5. You're right. I probably should have fed her more of that @+4.
    Her weight is currently just over 10.5 lbs. She could stand to lose a little bit of weight. She usually bobbles between 9.5 - 10.5 lbs.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. Butters & Lyla

She is up to 67 @+4.5. I'm holding off on more food.
    I'd like to not test again for an hour. I don't know if I can trust her, though. I don't think I can.

11. tiffmaxee

I actually like that she hasn’t lost any weight right now. With 67@ +4.5 with lc, I t “think” you can wait an hour. What about 45?

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Butters keeps surfing safely today.

13. Butters & Lyla

Do you think the not losing weight is another sign right now that she is feeling good?
    45 is a good idea.

14. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

That is a really good sign Lyla :)! T has lost anywhere from 1-1.5 pounds with flares. Not only does lack of appetite effect their weight, but also the inability of the GI system to function properly due to the digestive enzymes of the pancreas as well as potential issues with the mucosa of the intestines effecting absorption of nutrients. As a result, the cat may be eating, but still lose weight & also experience issues with cobalamin and folate levels.

15. tiffmaxee

Yes, I do. I just didn’t know why her tummy keeps getting harder when you withdraw pain meds. All signs are that the episode is over so why is she still in pain? I wonder if it’s from food and IBD related. What’s in the 13%? I’m wondering if she would do better with raw and syrup for mc?

16. Butters & Lyla

61 @+5.25

That's good news! Possibly another sign that the raw is working well for her and that the flare could be behind us.
    I didn't consider that weight loss could be caused due to other factors, besides lack of appetite and uncontrolled DM. Thank you for explaining:bighug:.

17. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention, it also effected the absorption of carbohydrates for T & therefore, what one would think would bring BG up with respect to carb % didn’t do anything for him. It was not that he wasn’t sensitive to carbs—-it was that the absorption wasn’t happening so therefore, neither was an increase in BG. Just something else to watch for with Butters if the intestines are involved.

You need an alarm clock next to the feeder :woot:....you all will be awake when that feeder opens...LOL :D. She would probably look at you with disdain, look at the feeder & just go back to sleep o_O:)!!

18. Butters & Lyla

Good question. I really don't know. Her vet wants to work on her diet to make sure nothing aggravates her GI tract. But figuring it out will be a slow process I think. I hate that she had that hard tummy this morning. She is doing great right now, though.

The 13% is Ziwipeak venison, there aren't many ingredients in it and she used to eat other ziwipeak foods sometimes. I only just started using it this cycle. I would add syrup to it make HC. I was using Weruva gravy foods previously, which I don't think were good for her. I could try raw and syrup for MC if the ziwipeak seems to aggravate her.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  19. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hope Butters surfs safely and her tummy stays soft :bighug: you seemed to break your FTC pants in justtttt fine :p Have a wonderful day, Lyla :bighug:

20. Butters & Lyla

She has generally been responsive to carbs....except when she isn't:nailbiting:. Definitely something I'll have to keep in mind. Goal is ultimately to manage her without higher carb foods, but she may have other plans. I will keep my eyes peeled for that.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Afternoon Lyla , happy to hear her tummy got soft. She's looking great.
    I hope she has a comfortable day .♥♥:bighug::bighug:
    Wishing you and Butters a Happy and Healthy New Year

22. Butters & Lyla

41 @+7.5. I was going to wait 45 minutes after +7 to check her, but she started acting hungry and I just had a feeling. I've never had a feeling before.
    I fed her 13% with a drop of syrup.

thebigfuzz and Lisa & Oberon like this.
  23. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Good catch! Hope she comes up a bit and surfs safely.

24. Abdullah

Abdullah Member

Happy to hear that Butters' tummy is softer! Hoping for a safe surf, these numbers look great on her :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  25. Butters & Lyla

She is rocking them. A little too much rocking, perhaps.
    She also swatted me when I touched the right side of her tummy a little while ago. I'm so sad. I am still hoping it is a coincidence that it happened on day two of switching to q12 with the gabapentin.

26. Butters & Lyla

Two dropsies to 41. I decided I had to use HC gravy food after the second drop @+8.5.

27. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I am sorry about the painful tummy :(. Is there any plan to repeat an ultrasound at some point to see if there have been any changes since the last one?

I am hoping there hasn’t been any significant changes, but if labs are pretty normal but there is still an issue, it might be something to think about. After Ts initial flare back in 2015 & inability to wean him off of some of the meds, we had a repeat ultrasound done (a few months later) & there were changes that were not seen on the initial one.
    Again, just a thought.

Does it seem to be more common within a time period after she eats....while digesting?

tiffmaxee likes this.
  28. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hope the gravy slows things down Lyla :bighug:!

Attached Files:

29. tiffmaxee

I was also thinking a repeat ultrasound is a good idea but was holding off suggesting it as it seemed her tummy was softening or maybe due to the food.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  30. Butters & Lyla

There isn't a date for another u/s set, but her vet recommended it a while ago as something to think about, especially if I have difficulty weaning her off the meds. It does seem like it is worth repeating, given what is going on. I'll discuss it whenever he is back in the office. I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone there this week.

I haven't been able to tell because I haven't been diligent about marking the time. And today she has been eating all day.

Thanks...that's going to give me nightmares. lol:p

I'm just trying to keep her safe as best I know how:).

Tomlin likes this.
  31. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

No nightmares....that’s why I didn’t send the CLOWN:eek::nailbiting:....LOL!!

32. Butters & Lyla

LOL! But the song is still the same! Unless this one plays the theme to "Tom and Jerry".

33. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It plays the happy, non creepy Tom & Jerry theme....NO “Pop Goes the Weasel” being sent your way :nailbiting::cool:!! I wouldn’t do that to you...LOL

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  34. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Ok, Butters. You get three "Oy vey"s today!

35. Butters & Lyla

Fun day:rolleyes:. Is it 2021 yet?

Here is just this afternoon:
    67 @+7 - withheld food
    41 @+7.5 - fed 1 tsp 13% w/ syrup
    56 @+8 - fed 1 tsp 13%
    41 @+8.5 - fed 1 tsp 21%
    56 @+9 - fed 13%
    38 @+9.5 - fed 21% gravy w/ syrup
    50 @+10 - fed 13%
    52 @+10.5 - no food
    Currently 63 @+11

Accurate!

Thank you!!! It already plays over and over in my mind:eek:.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  36. Butters & Lyla

I'm barely keeping up with her. The many reductions, BCS and skip don't seem to have slowed her down. Thinking of reducing by .5U.

37. tiffmaxee

I think I would skip tonight and drain the depot. See what others think.

JOJI and Kit and Butters & Lyla like this.
  38. Butters & Lyla

Given all of this, and my goal of a well regulated cat, does it seem at all wise just to do a .25U reduction? My intuition says no.

My thought is either a reduction by .5U (instead of .25U), OR a BCS/skip tonight and reduce by .25U in the morning. If any of you are around, I'm curious if you have any thoughts. I know it goes against TR.

@tiffmaxee
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Marje and Gracie
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Tomlin
    @Bandit's Mom

Thanks in advance.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  39. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Well, guess Butters started New Year's celebrations a tad early :p orrrr she got the memo about catcation this time around. Hope you can get some rest tonight :bighug:

40. tiffmaxee

You can also do a bcs if you think you can stay up and she will still want to eat, and then reduce by .25. My gut says skip fwiw.

Tomlin and Butters & Lyla like this.
  41. Butters & Lyla

Oops. I thought BCS could be a skip. My bad. Okay, I'm definitely skipping tonight. What your gut says is worth a lot to me. And my gut says the same thing.
    Thank you:bighug:.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  42. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

SKIP..... give her little belly a rest & also yourself a restful end (and start) to 2021 :bighug:

tiffmaxee and Butters & Lyla like this.
  43. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Considering how much food she has had today, the consistent low numbers, her tummy hurting, and you being worn out, I vote for a skip and then a reduction to 0.25u in the morning.

Happy New Year, right??? :p:woot::woot:

Tomlin, tiffmaxee and Butters & Lyla like this.
  44. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

At least if you skip, you can indulge in an adult beverage and if you fall asleep, you know Butters will be fine.

45. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

AMEN to THAT advice....except add an “S” to the beverage part :smuggrin:!

46. Marje and Gracie

I think we should all join her.

Bottoms up! (There’s at least one liqueur in this hot chocolate, I’m certain).
    Hot%20Chocolate%20Kitty.jpg

47. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

@Marje and Gracie .....OMG—-what a classic picture!! I want what the kitten is having please :p...with the more than one liquor in it :bighug::bighug:!!

We need everyone’s participation here...........mandatory!!

48. tiffmaxee

That picture is priceless!

49. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Happy New Year Lyla and Butters!

It sounds like you've both had a very big day! I'm sorry to hear about her tummy being tender again...I do hope you'll get some rest tonight and you guys can start over again tomorrow..she gets serious about her drops doesn't she?

Hang in there you two...sending special thoughts and warm Florida breezes your way (it was downright hot here today, 82 and humid this afternoon)...so the warmth is real...feel it coming your way now? :bighug::bighug::bighug:

thebigfuzz and Butters & Lyla like this.
  50. Butters & Lyla

LOL Thank you all this is literally how I'm celebrating new year's eve tonight. And it's perfect.
    I'm buying the next round:smuggrin:.

51. Butters & Lyla

I do feel it:bighug:. Thank you. She was seriously keeping me busy today. Happy new year to you, DH and Luci. May 2021 be a far better year. Vaccines for everyone, I hope:).

Sue and Luci likes this.
  52. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm going to give you my conservative $.02 (Canadian) worth. As someone who's been on the down side or a kitty plummeting in dose from a higher dose a couple of times. I would take the 0.5 unit reduction. Butters was really stubborn today, yet this was just 4 cycles after a skip. This is partly for Lyla too. I count 19 tests so far today. :eek:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  53. Butters & Lyla

Today has been a lot.
    I skipped tonight's shot. You saw that? So it would be a skip and a .5U reduction tomorrow morning.
    It sounds pretty good to me. I don't see a downside to trying this.

Tomlin, thebigfuzz and JOJI and Kit like this.
  54. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, I saw the skip. The downside is that the larger reduction might fail. If so, you up the dose. It's not strictly TR as we have documented but I did read an old version of the TR protocol that called doses above 3 units as larger doses and suggested 0.5 unit changes. And as I said, this is more for you, not Butters.

Butters & Lyla, tiffmaxee and Tomlin like this.
  55. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

happy new year, butters and lyla. may you ring it in without drama or coffee :bighug:

tiffmaxee likes this.
  56. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

The beverages sound great! :p I’m in! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Butters is descending the doses quick! Safety first :bighug:

Butters & Lyla, tiffmaxee and Tomlin like this.
  57. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I like the larger reduction idea. Maybe some time off of the other food needed to help bring BG up combined with a reduction in checks helps Butters out :) in addition to the break for you that Wendy mentioned. Win/win :bighug:

Are you done with that first round? I’ve got the 2nd if you haven’t already beat me to it :p

58. Butters & Lyla

If it fails, as you say I can up the dose. Robert tried it with Henry and went back up. He barely missed a beat. ECID, of course.
    I think it would be worth a try. I've been very lucky that her drama has happened on my days off this week. I may be mainly working from home, but my job still requires me to think and be on calls all day long. I don't see how I could've managed her cycle today and the obligations of my job. And I do have to go in sometimes unexpectedly. It makes sense to do this for me.

Tomlin and tiffmaxee like this.
  59. Butters & Lyla

All done here! I think a few others are joining us!

Yay!:bighug:

Just adult beverages on FDMB. You in? Amy's buying:smuggrin:.

60. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

We may need a shot ski :D:bighug:!!

Attached Files:

thebigfuzz likes this.
  61. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

of course!

thebigfuzz and Butters & Lyla like this.
  62. Butters & Lyla

LOL That picture...I'm in tears of laughter!:joyful: Butters would never do that.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  63. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I think the Queen whips off the crown and goes a little crazy! No wonder she has no energy left for that 5th P :woot::)!

64. Marje and Gracie

Wendy is right that you can always go back up if the 0.5u reduction is too much but it’s really important to do as Robert...do not sit on higher trending BGs.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021