12/31 Luci AMPS 253 - GoodBye 2020!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Good Morning everyone and almost Happy New Year (except for those in New Zealand, Australia, etc)!

This is one year I'm sure many people will be happy to see in the rearview mirror! I can't say it was terrible for us - I try to be optimistic and look at the good things that happened this past year. My job stabilized after the previous year of worrying whether it would be there at all...in healthcare bad news for everyone else is good news for us - as grim as that is to admit.

Our health is good - our family is safe and well - thankfully! And Luci has proven that she's got plenty of life and spunk left in her - in spite of what the first vet told us 3 years ago - that she would not be a good candidate for treatment and that his recommendation was to euthanize her. Imagine if I'd listened to that twit! All the happy times and funny antics...and yes, it's a bit of effort on our part to keep her healthy but it's a labor of love and she's doing quite well as a long term diabetic.:joyful:

Now for the next chapter as she was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and we go down the road for the radioactive iodine treatment in hopes that'll fix that issue and we can continue along our path of wellness and happy days ahead.

We have much to be grateful for! I hope you all will have a chance to reflect and think about the good things that have happened this last year. I'm grateful for this forum and the relationships we've formed!

We all have to focus on moving forward and hope that next year will be better. DH and I are scheduled to receive the first of two COVID-19 vaccinations next week - looking forward to that weight being lifted and getting back to normal!

Enjoy your day everyone! Take time to hug your loved ones and your kitties! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

We do indeed have so much to be grateful for. Happy end of the year, Sue! :bighug:

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Happy almost New Year to you, as well.

I'm grateful as well that I have not had to weather any uncertainty about my job. I'm in healthcare and if anything, since March I am far too busy and stretched way too thin. (I'm on FDMB less because I come home, feed the cats, feed me, and inevitably, and fall asleep earlier than I anticipate.) Thank you for not being among those who are refusing to get vaccinated.

Here's hoping for a happy and healthy 2021 for everyone.

4. Sue and Luci

I'm hoping to set a good example for my son - who is among the group you've mentioned - there's no trying to convince him that the vaccine isn't nefarious and will cause great harm or ??? he's certain there's a huge conspiracy behind it...

For me it's the same as getting the polio or smallpox vaccines...we all need to work together to eradicate these plagues - as a person working in healthcare I tend to believe the science - and one of my mantras has always been 'better living through chemistry'... LOL!

And I hear you on being stretched thin! I've never worked so hard in my life as I have in this past year! Everything was hurry up hurry up...buzz word 'COVID'...and then everything we did would go into high gear! We're sending daily notifications now on the test results for our surgeons - so they'll know ahead of time the 'status' of every operative patient - nothing worse than getting them to the OR to find they're positive or worse, haven't been tested...tends to throw a wrench into the entire schedule...and as you know, in the OR, time is money...:rolleyes:

Happy New Year's Eve Sienne! Thanks for being there for us!!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm actually surprised that anyone who is a surgical patient isn't tested 2 weeks in advance of a procedure and has to quarantine. All of our admitted patients (either through the ER or direct admits) get PCR tests and results are back within several hours. It can be an issue if the test is too early but I don't think that's been the case with anyone that I can think of. (The bigger issue is one of the people I work with drinking coffee on rounds (i.e., pulling his mask down to drink) and testing positive 2 days later. He took out the entire team -- we all had to quarantine for 2 weeks.

I truly hope your son has a change of heart. And I agree -- better living through chemistry (or science).

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder, Sue. We were talking about how much of a blessing 2020 has been for us. We fortunately didn't have hardship, did our best to pay what we can forward, and really tried to soak up this time with our littles - they really thrived honestly and we were so lucky to be home with them. Many blessings to you and your family :bighug: And you are setting a great example to your son and to many others :bighug:

Surf safely Luci :cat:

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

We do have a lot to be grateful for. I'm glad Furball is doing as well as she is after being diabetic for so many years. I hope Luci slides down and surfs today.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I wanna know how your getting the vaccine. I work in a long term care facility. Both husband and I are high risk. Yet there is no date set for vaccines, except so far all the politicians and CEO of hospitals (who never see patients) are getting them before the nurses and doctors and patients in the hospital who are treating covid patients.

It makes no sense. Glad your getting though.

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Afternoon Sue, Wishing you and Luci a Happy and Healthy New Year :bighug::cat:

10. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Happy New Year Sue!!!! :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Sue and Luci

Florida has a large elderly population - so far all the healthcare workers were first in line to get their shots - then first responders - police, fire, EMS got theirs today - several counties already have enough vaccine that they've opened 'first come, first serve sites' to administer the vaccine to any healthcare workers (show work badge) AND anyone over 65 years of age. That went on in the neighboring county (Lee) for 3 days, but it was a bit disorganized IMHO - and people were waiting outside in lines all night long!

Yesterday the local news announced that Collier county had received vaccine and had opened a website to allow individuals over 65 and healthcare workers to set up an appointment to get the vaccine. I was home at the time and got on my computer and opened up the website and picked a day/time and it was confirmed within minutes.

I'm sure there will be more vaccines forthcoming and they'll be more readily available as time progresses. I also understand that my mom (90 years old) in a care home with 4 other residents about the same age -and their caretakers are scheduled to get the vaccine on Jan 5. The visiting physician is coming over to administer it.

It is my understanding that Walgreens, CVS and Kroger have all signed up to administer the vaccine - so it's just a matter of time. I'm surprised to hear the CEO's and politicians in your area are taking the vaccines - our Governor is not getting it - he said he's under 45 and would rather see his parents and grandparents get the vaccine first - and many other elderly people. I also know of many from where I work who've 'deferred' the vaccine as part of the 1a group (high risk frontline workers)...in order to make sure that those who were really on the frontlines got it first. The University of Michigan received over 11,000 doses - there are 10,000 people working at the hospital - I work remotely so didn't even think there'd be a vaccine for me until maybe June?? And it would have created a logistical problem for me to get back to Michigan to get it - when my DH wouldn't... not a good solution...so this works much better.

I have to say, there wasn't much notice about the vaccine so I'd suggest you keep an eye on the local TV news and listen to see when/if the vaccines have arrived in your area - it'll be just a matter of time until they announce how they're going to go about getting it into arms...

I hope for your sake and safety that it's soon! As for being an employee in a long term care facility - I would think your employer would have some information on who they've contacted to make sure they're on the list of 'high priority' recipients. I know my mother's caregiver reached out to the county health department to let them know she had 'high risk' residents - but she was already getting visits monthly from the Visiting Physician's provider - so it may have also been on his list to provide the vaccine to these folks as soon as it was received.

12. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

wishing you and yours a happy new year, sue
    we had a civvie long ago who received the i-131 treatment. she lived on for many happy years. best of luck for luci.

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Stopping by to wish you a happy and healthy new year.

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sue, We are sending our best thoughts for Luci's I-131 treatment. Stu was going to have it, but by the time we got all the papers in order (his vet dragged his feet) he was too weak to be eligible for the treatment. We did so much research and were convinced that it would help Stu, but it wasn't to be.

I hear you on the Covid vaccine. Just looking at those seniors in Florida sleeping on their lawn chairs all night waiting for the clinics to open makes me angry. Here in the Adirondack Mountains such a thing would not be possible! We'd have to set up our tents, winter sleeping bags, etc. and pretend we were camping in the woods! As it is, we seniors hope to get our shots as soon as the medical teams and other essential workers get theirs. All we need is for the vaccine to be delivered to this rural area.

Hi Sienne @Sienne and Gabby (GA) , I've been thinking of you and hoping you are well and staying sane. Gus sends greetings to Gizmo.

Happy New Year to all!

15. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Happy New Year :bighug::bighug:!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  16. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Wonderful! Happy New Year again, Sue!:bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I didn’t read from the beginning. Good luck with the I-131. How long will they keep Luci?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Christina & Kitty Cat

Christina & Kitty Cat Member

Happy new year sue! Wishing the best for you and luci. good luck with the treatment :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  19. Sue and Luci

Three days.

20. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

While our hyperT kitty was not diabetic, he did great with the I131 and I was so happy we had it done. The felimazole, or whatever variant they use, can have long-term side effects and so it is best to do the I131 absolutely as soon as possible. Lots of vines coming Luci’s way!!!

It rests with your state. I know that here, they’ve already vaccinated all frontline workers and nursing home residents and employees. They have just started vaccinating doctors and staff in offices as my doctor told me at my annual physical last week that they were all getting shots this week. My stepdaughter in KY is an RN and DoN at an oncology clinic associated with but offsite from a hospital; she said the in-hospital staff got theirs immediately and she got her vaccination last week. I’d call my state health department, if I were you. You all should be getting them. Even my older sister, who lives in independent living in SC, is getting hers this coming week.

Happy New Year, Sue!

Sue and Luci likes this.