12/4 AMPS(255),+1 (288), +4 (192)+ 10.5(118) Makoto

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Si am cat mom, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Won't be home tonight to check - he stayed in the 160s last night - usual snack after the +4 check and again near what would be +8. I was wondering if I should leave his normal food for snacks- or maybe some MC since I won't be here to check and considering the lower numbers so far today? (Part of me is thinking of running home around midnight to check on him tonight...but it's not a guarantee on time).
    Just trying to clarify this "bounce" concept? Typically a bounce can happen after something like changes to the dosing, but my impression is that bouncing consists of higher values, right ? ...So these lower values are not results of bouncing or does bouncing just describe the range in values ?
    Thanks in advance - I am probably overthinking it but I wasn't expecting blues with a reduction and don't want to misunderstand something.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A bounce happens when either they see a lower number than they are used to, or drop really quickly in a short period of time. It's the bodies mechanism to keep themselves safe. Counterregulatory hormones and sugars are dumped into their system. Changes in dosing don't cause a bounce. Now you may decrease a dose due to a low number, but it's the low number that causes the bounce. You can also see temporarily higher numbers after an increase, but that's likely due to the depot rebuilding. We call it New Dose Wonkiness.

Bounces can take up to six cycles to clear, at bit ECID and it changes over time. When a cat clears a bounce, you can get some downward momentum giving you lower numbers.

You got to greens on the previous dose, so seeing blues is not surprising now on this dose. And he took less than six cycles to clear the bounce, a good thing.

As for what to do tonight, let's see where he is closer to PMPS. If he starts bouncing again, you are probably fine with his regular low carb food left out.

3. Si am cat mom

ohhhh. Okay...I think I got it. Thank you.

+10.5 (118) - which is lower than yesterdays at +11.5, but I'll have a pretty good idea of which way he is going.
    I'm going to take a +11.5 (6:30) as his PMPS then shot closer to 6:45PM, so I can try and get to work at 7 PM, but not have him get his dose more than 15 mins early or late. If I have to stall, I'll just be late :rolleyes:
    I likely will run home around midnight if I have to shoot a lower blue- no point in sitting around at work and worrying.

4. Si am cat mom

+11.25(163), AMPS(255),+1 (288), +4 (192) ,+10.5 (118), PMPS @+11.5 (78...)

I guess I'll skip this one or give a 1/2 dose ? Wasn't expecting that closer to his shooting time

(149) 3 minutes later on a different paw pad after some turkey meat

5. Wendy&Neko

Always good to retest an unexpected number. If it was a 78, he earned a reduction. Depending on what type of turkey meat, that could have inflated his numbers. Some deli turkey is done is brine, which includes sugar.

6. Si am cat mom

I gave him a microdose...right under 0.5 units. It was the applegate organic Turkey breast which says it is sugar free...It does look like it has potato starch and broth though.
    I am going to run home around midnight/ 12:30AM and check on him but he is set to get a snack from his feeder at 11PM so a BG would likely be food influenced. I would like to just put eyes on him and see if I need to put MC in his feeder for 4 AM

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Si am cat mom

So, I should reduce to 0.75 in the morning?
    I'll have to grab more of the BD syringes with the 1/2 line mark :)

8. Wendy&Neko

Yes, reduce in the AM. He'll let you know soon enough if it's not enough insulin. Best be safe.

Si am cat mom likes this.