? 12-6 Claudio AMPS 83 Insulin dosage during boarding.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan & Claudio, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

8-8-claudio-amps-220-back-from-er-vet

We’re back !! Well… didn’t actually leave. Just haven’t posted. Just been lurking. Wanted to post several times but all I kept seeing was some babies were either sick or crossed the bridge. Was too depressing to post. Besides, Claudio’s numbers were meh.

Skipped 7 cycles with no insulin back in August. I felt his body needed to drain the insulin and I really needed a mental/physical break after 2 days of deep sea diving. And struggling to try to keep his numbers up. I know this was not the desirable approach but we both needed a reset. I also know this has set him back somewhat.

Started back with 2U. If you look at his SS, you’ll see we are back up to 6U now. And actually this reset has given me a new perspective. I no longer get upset when he hits the higher numbers. Not happy, but not depressive either. And of course overjoyed when he gives me a green or two.

I’ve also given up on the dream of remission. As long as I can get and keep him regulated, I’ll be happy. And he’s happy as long as he has food to eat and a cardboard box to lounge about in. Guess when you hit 14 it doesn’t take much to make you happy.

I am going out of state in 2&½ weeks for the holidays. The cats are going to be boarded for 3 days. Not my idea of a happy holiday !! But I am going to avoid a huge argument. So my question…. What should I tell the boarder to give as an insulin dose for those days ? She is willing to do an AMPS and a PMPS. But won’t be able to do the mid cycle tests due to her having guests for her Christmas celebrations.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !!!!

Butters & Lyla and LindyNova like this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Regulation, most of the time below renal threshold, is still an excellent goal. It was my goal for Neko, anything else was just gravy. Looks like Claudio is doing well on 6 units.

But at this point in time, it'd be too high for a petsitter dose. It's also too early to say now what might be a good dose in 2.5 weeks. A lot can happen to a dose in that period of time. Ideally you want a dose that has nadirs that are mostly blue with the odd high green. You can also reduce the dose a couple days before hand, to drain the depot and see what sort of nadirs you are getting. A dose on the line is also better, so if you were leaving tomorrow, I'd go down to 5.5 units. Maybe post again a couple days before you depart?

Somewhat jealous. We are on partial lock down and not supposed to travel at all, much less to another region.

3. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

I realize doses can go up, down or sideways. I thought maybe there was a standard general rule about vacation reductions. Like reduce 1U, .5U or do a BCS. But I will try a reduction about 3-4 days before leaving to see where his numbers are.

We basically the same here.
    But my son got engaged 2 weeks ago. He and his fiancee' are spending Christmas at her parents home this year. Tried refusing but an argument developed. So, besides leaving my cats in someone else's care for 3 days, it's a 9 hour drive to her parents home. One way !!!