12 Hour shifts and Q 12 hour insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teddi, May 15, 2019.

1. Teddi

Teddi New Member

Good Morning,

I may have to start working 12 hour shifts and I'm looking for advice on how I would handle Simon's insulin doses in that situation. I would end up being away from home for probably 13 - 13 1/2 hours :( or maybe more if it's a busy shift.

Thanks!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It's not ideal, obviously, but sometimes you just have to make it work. I'm guessing there's no one else in the house who might be able to help? What I would suggest is that you test/feed/shoot as the very last thing before you walk about the door to start your shift. Then again the second you walk in the door at the end of the shift. Then really commit to getting mid-cycle tests on every day off, as well as getting at least a before bed test, and any middle-of-the-night tests you can get if you get up to use the bathroom or just wake up. Looking at the numbers you're getting, they are high enough that I think you might be able to get away with a 13/11 shooting schedule.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I agree with Djamila :). One thing I'm going to add is, do you have any days off? If so, getting some more tests for PM cycle would be helpful. Even if it's just between +2 and +4 on your off days. Don't drive yourself crazy if you are having to work 12 or 12+ hour shifts. Just when you can :cat:.