? 13/4 Hercules AMPS 297 - What to do?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hercule's mum, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hello All!

Hercs continues to go up and down to his own tune..... I have tried feeding him HC when he is coming down bounces to try to slow down without success. I have tried changing the food to stop climbing, equally without success... Anyone has any suggestions of what else I can try?

Should I consider this a failed reduction and increase the dose? if so, back to 0.5U, where he kept crashing into bright greens last week, or try 0.375U (using calipers)

:(

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Try 0.375U. :banghead:

Hercule's mum likes this.
  3. Hercule's mum

Thanks for your opinion. I'll increase tomorrow.

Did you see the drops he did today on the second part of the cycle? Last night was in the beggining of the cycle... he does on purpose, every time I think I adjusted to his new pattern he changes when he drops...

4. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

:banghead:
    The drops in the beginning of the cycle at least theoretically can be expected but the ones in the end are just too unpredictable. what about trying to introduce meals at +7 and +8? Maybe just in the active cycles no matter how stable they seem in the beginning :-?
    We started feeding Chico at +1 at Bhoomas recommendation because that’s when he is at his most active and it slows his fast drops down a bit.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Hercule's mum

Would you have guessed that today was an active cycle?

He has been dropping in the last week between +2 and +4, so I was making an effort to keep an eye out for it, but honestly, it is getting ridiculous, his cycles makes no sense to me anymore! I assume is his crazy bounces that muddles it all, but perhaps I should try a seconf meter on the side for a few days....

6. Marina & Chico

Today i would have not guessed it but i believe it was a bounce clearing by the end, the next cycle could be tricky though, even though with Hercules most are tricky...

The 7/04 PM cycle was an active one, seemed extremely safe but it resulted in the 38 at PS. I am thinking maybe some food later in the cycle could have kept him higher... just some thoughts, there was no way to predict that PS

On the 8/04 AM cycle maybe it is better to put the values from +1 and +2 in the PS cell and shift the rest earlier, like this it seems you shot at 38.

Btw if you have another glucometer, as you said maybe it would be worth it to try it out for a while and see if it is not by some chance a meter issue

7. Hercule's mum

I am almost hoping it would be the case! Is hard to imagine his body can go throughthis much variation every day....

btw, Chico is being awesome! He has come a long way. Good cat!

8. Marina & Chico

I agree with you and we will cross our paws and fingers for this to be the case

Yeah, thank you :) we are very lucky he is so predictable... btw, yesterday he finally started going to the autofeeder when he hears the sound, yayy :)

9. Hercule's mum

Awesome! Bring on the sleep! :)

Marina & Chico likes this.
  10. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Karen, I can feel the frustration coming from you. I'm wondering if Hercules isn't just a very unpredictable, bouncy kitty, and perhaps you're doing the best you can by giving him as much insulin as he needs? Kit is similarly bouncy.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Karen. I'm sorry you are having such unpredictability from Hercule. That lime green was scary. I have no idea what you should do... but I'm just stopping by to say that I care. :bighug:

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think Marina gave you a good suggestion to double check odd tests with a backup meter. I’m trying to look at your ss from my phone but I can’t see any signatures. I’m not sure what’s going on.

13. Hercule's mum

I'm also wondering if this is just going to be how it is. Perhaps if I stop expecting him to get regulated I'll get less frustrated.... However, the dosing remains very difficult, as I have been unable to find one so far that neither takes him into lime green, or keeps him too high. it might be that this 0.25 is not bad?

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  14. Hercule's mum

15. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

When was the last time you took him to the vet? Wondering if there might be an underlying issue that is preventing him from flattening out. Not trying to worry you, but putting it out there as a possibility in the spirit of brainstorming. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Hercule's mum

I have wondered that myself... He was last at the vet in Dec, and vet thought he looked good. He did receive a very high specflp (?) indicating pancreatitis, but he is generally well with no actual symptoms.