132 at +2 and dropping

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Howiesmom, Oct 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I checked Howie before going to bed and giving him his +2 snack and he was at 132. I fed him his snack and checked again 20 min later and he was at 119. I gave him some pill pocket treats and some other treats and will check again to see if he goes up. If not, am I approaching a danger zone? I am getting unreliable BG readings so am not sure what to do/trust (see earlier post tonight).

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry that no one responded earlier. Looks like you did a good job steering him. Were the treats you gave him HC?

I am not familiar with Prozinc, but I'm going to tag a couple of people who are. Next time you want eyes on a question, you could tag them too.
    @Panic
    @Deb & Wink

Also, if you could link your previous thread, it would make it easier for people to look through them and advise you accordingly. :)
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/accuracy-of-relion-meters.236795/
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-iaa-diagnosis.236222/

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

132 and 119 are much the same number given the 20% variance.
    I am not familiar with the ReliOn meters so I will tag @Chris & China (GA) as she may be able to make suggestions about using a control solution.
    Looks as if you are managing the drop well.
    In regards to the SS......you need to put all the tests done in the 2nd hour in the +2 square and the tests done in the 3rd hour in the +3 square by stacking them on top of each other. Then the +4 BG needs to go in the +4 square. Does that make sense?
    You are in safe numbers in this pm cycle. I’m not sure if you are doing SLGS or TR and I am not a prozinc user but you are definitely safe with numbers 90 and above.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you want to get control solution for any of the Relion meters, you have to call the company. They'll usually send you a bottle for free (but don't tell them you're using it for a cat)

The other thing you can do is just test yourself and see if your glucose is where you'd expect it to be.

I have heard more complaints about the Premier getting wonky numbers than the Prime. It's a shame they don't take the same strips.

5. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks! I gave him any treats I had that weren’t just freeze dried. Dumb question...how do you link an earlier thread?

6. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

That is good to know! I just opened a new box of premier strips but will consider switching to the prime after they are gone if the control solution doesn’t solve any mysteries.

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question at all! :)

You like them just like I have done. You go to your previous post, copy the URL/link from the address bar of the browser and paste it into the body of your current post.
    If you are not able to see your last post in the list of posts on the Forum, you click on your name in the menu at the top right of the screen and click on "Your Content" and it will give you a list.

8. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Can someone help me understand what MC foods and HC foods are (%s) and when I should use one vs the other? I’ve seen it Discussed in various threads but have not seen what levels prompt HC food being used. Thanks! Also, Howie has a sensitive stomach (not IBD but close) and can’t have all the additives like carrageenan and guar gum so I need to find those foods that (for when they’re needed) don’t contain all those things. If anyone has suggestions, I’m all ears!

9. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I’m currently following modified SLGS but will be moving to TR when I switch him to Levemir next week. I’m waiting on my shipment from Marks. Then I’ll have a whole new learning curve of a new insulin and new process to follow...YIKES.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  10. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You're still on Prozinc? Thought you had switched already haha. You did a good job testing him.

MC is 13% - 15%
    HC is 16% + (I usually recommend getting something around 18-20%).

Check the catinfo site, the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers are a good choice to sort through.

Honestly I don't use MC too much, I think people mainly use it if they suspect numbers are dropping more/faster than they'd like but aren't near danger-zone to require HC.
    HC is used when BG drops below 50 on a human meter.

• Below 50: This is considered the “take action” number. If the blood sugar is permitted to go lower, the cat is in danger of experiencing a hypoglycemic event.
      • Retest immediately to determine the reading is accurate
      • Feed high-carb food and recheck blood glucose in 15 minutes
      • Repeat as necessary, testing every 15-20 minutes for at least two hours.
      • Once over 50, follow advice for numbers between 50-70
    * Reduce dose by 0.25 units immediately

• 50 – 70: This is an intervention range. Feed 1-2 tsp of low-carb food and retest in 20-30 minutes.
      • If dropping, offer a little more low-carb food and repeat process
      • If holding, no more food but retest in 30 minutes to be sure they are no longer dropping
      • If rising and over 70, no more food and take a break
      • Retest in an hour to make sure they don’t dip back down again
        1. Kitty must be able to go 2 hours without food propping the numbers up
        2. Every time you have to feed mid/high-carb food, the 2 hour clock starts over
    This is a rough guide I wrote down for myself after needing some guidance with low numbers here, I kept it in the front of my physical log book to reference in case no one was available here ... however you may wish to break out the M/HC sooner if you are early in the cycle with more dropping to come.

I think @Sienne and Gabby (GA) knows of some foods without carrageenan and guar gum? ZiwiPeak comes to mind maybe. You could also do a homemade diet so there's no additives ... most food I've seen without the gums are on the pricier side so it can be cheaper to make it yourself.

Howiesmom likes this.
  11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Medium carb is 10% to 15% and HC is over 15%.

ZiwiPeak is without gums and carrageenan.

Panic and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  12. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

This is soooooo helpful! Thank you so much! I need to print this out and out in my kitchen with some other notes. As for the insulin, my Levemir just arrived from Marks today! I plan to make the switch this weekend when I am home to monitor and test him. I know I’ve asked before, but now that we now have a D-day Of when I’m switching him, what do you now recommend as his initial dose? Thanks a ton!

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Awesome!!
    I would go ahead and ask in the L&L forum to be sure, but usually they recommend staying on the same dose as you are now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.