? 135 AMPS not sure if i should reduce or skip

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LindsayF, May 23, 2019.

1. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

do I still give normal dose? I’m still new at this. I gave her normal dose over the weekend but at PMPS she shot up to the 400’s (I assume she got too low) and bounced. I can’t really stall as I’m off to work

2. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

I ended up skipping. But if someone can offer insight on what would have been the best thing for me to do i would appreciate it greatly

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Lindsay! I'm almost always here at this time, but I am heading out of town so I was running around doing last minute packing and trying to corral my cat to give her some meds before I head out! I think a NS was a good plan since you won't be home to keep an eye on things. Though it does look like she's come up before after a shot on a low preshot number...but better safe than sorry for sure. I'll need to review your SS some more before I can give you any idea of what to do next time but I'll try to do that later and post when I get a chance!

LindsayF likes this.
  4. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Thank you!!!!! I’m also not sure in this case if I can reduce down to .50 or so. I know it’s best to decrease or increase in .25 units but in a case where they are lower than normal at PS is it okay to do a larger than .25 drop?

5. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

366 at PMPS :(

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Lindsay - as you know, we really depend on those mid-cycle numbers to make dosing decisions. It's pretty close to impossible to know what's going on by just looking at the PS numbers. I do think though that lowering the dose would be better than needing to skip (I agree that you made the right decision this morning since you couldn't monitor), so if she's high enough to shoot in the morning, go ahead and lower to 1.25u. I think lowering 0.5u might leave her in numbers that are too high, so I would go with the smaller reduction.

In the bigger picture, just for future reference, when lowering the dose, you can lower by whatever amount is needed. You don't necessarily need to stick with 0.25u increments. My suggestion to do that in this case is just that I think lowering by more than that might not be enough insulin. Raising the dose it's more important to abide by the small changes to avoid making your kitty feel icky.

7. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Omg she’s 65 at +3!!!!!!

8. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Feeding her ff gravy right now. She’s acting completely fine. I’m terrified tho!

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I'm on your other thread, so just check that one now so we don't lose each other.