14/08 - Djoko - amps :544; +5 = 97; pmps 526

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Come on Djoko. work that new dose.:cat:
    Have a good day Marj:)

Marj & Djoko likes this.
  3. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

totally did not see this one coming, especially when he ate a lot at +2.5 and +3.5.
    :S here comes the bounce..

Briere Fur Mom and thebigfuzz like this.
  4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Oh my! What a drop. Sweet little Djoko - you are in excellent territory; no need to bounce later ok?! I'll likely be ignored:cat:

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  5. Briere Fur Mom

They like to keep us guessing. Even on a black start you'll get big drops. Those +2 tests really come in handy. the +3 tests is really handy as well. Things change from day to day cycle to cycle:rolleyes: Data data data....you'll get sick of hearing it. But, then you'll come to rely on it for seeing patterns/trends.;)
    I'd probably get another test in an hour just to make sure Djoko has no other crazy plans. He's likely gonna start bouncing but you nvr know with these kitties:cat:

6. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Yes I did the +2 yesterday. I fed him a lot but yes, I think I will start doing +2 or +3 even when he starts in the black.
    I tested him at 2h30. Was on a zoom call and was tough to get a test but he is at the same result. Wondering if he has dropped in between or went up b/c of food and then went back to where he was. Never happened to me greens with a black amps...

thebigfuzz likes this.
  7. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Cosmo likes to ride the crazy roller-coaster from time to time too - coming down fast and sudden from +500 numbers :eek: It is a confusing experience with little explanation for sure.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  8. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

when should I test next? in an hour so +7.5?

thebigfuzz likes this.
  9. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I was actually relying on data and see my ss with black starts. Anyway, I will test before +5 on a back amps/psmp from now on!

10. Briere Fur Mom

I'd get another at 7.5. Just to see what Djoko's next move is. See how long he can hold onto his surfboard

thebigfuzz likes this.
  11. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Ok thanks! I am surprised he was still in the greens at +6.5. Normally,as soon as he touches them he starts to rise...

12. Briere Fur Mom

Cat's cycle's are always subject to change. Sometimes they clue you in but, sometimes they don't. That's why testing is so important. +2 testing shows you the starts of an active cycle or perhaps the food bump. Good data. Good to see when food bumps can occur and what type of number increase they give. Great data cause you can build a picture of how long it takes food to affect #s. Very valuable when dealing with low #s. +3 testing shows when insulin typically begins to work. So another great test. Shows onset and what type of #s at onset. Data data data....you're going to get sick of hearing it...I'm telling you:p
    I'm scared that by testing at +5 or beyond you're not only missing valuable data but are risking not catching drastic drops or low #s. This could be dangerous.

Kyle & Simon (GA) and thebigfuzz like this.
  13. thebigfuzz

Looks like today is a dose increase day and he is working his juice. Looking forward to seeing what the next test says too.

14. thebigfuzz

15. Briere Fur Mom

It build the mosaic. W/o it we're kinda guessing:rolleyes::p

thebigfuzz likes this.
  16. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

well he is rising!

thebigfuzz and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  17. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Out of curiosity,do your cats like being tested multiple times a day? My cat hates it and grawls at me when I do it and then his ears become itchy.

18. Briere Fur Mom

My boys didn't mind. I made a big "production" out of it. Fed them their favorite treats, which is difficult for Djoko, given dietary concerns. Gave them individual "me" time with gentle cooing and strokes in their favorite spots. Soon they would run to me when they heard the sound of the strip bottle opening. The noise from the strip bottle is almost like clicker training in dogs. Conditions them to the sound of the noise and positive reinforcement is their reward.
    I use to condition my boys ears at least once a day with organic coconut oil. Usually after PMPS +2 'cause testing wasn't as frequent. That seemed to help the keep their ears in better shape. My boys were very compliant. I'd also clean the poke site with a alcohol cotton ball after the area clotted(just what I did, I'm picky). The coconut oil is worth a try.

19. Briere Fur Mom

I meant to ask...are you using a new lancet every time? What gauge?

20. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I am using hypodermic needle 35g 3/8. The ritual is that boyfriend pets him under the chin and heat his hear with his breathe and while I hold him gently (because otheriwse he runs away), my boyfrend pokes his ear. I then hold his ear and test him with the strip. I do it alone sometimes but it goes better when we are the two of us. He likes the petting ritual more with my bf than with me for poking! He is still a bit scared with the shots. His eyes get black and most of the time, he does not feel anything. Again, he moves a lot so it is better to do it together. Djoko is not the most affectionate cat ever. I brush him after shots and he likes it a lot and I pet him after tests. We used to give him tuna but not anymore so I may give him a little piece of horse as a treat.

Djoko does not like to get stuff on his ears and washes them. Is it a problem if he eats coconut oil? I have some for cooking. I would net to ask the nutrionist first. He will get his LIbre on Monday so will give his ears time to heal and we will get a lot of data!

21. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I also apply a little pressure so that the bleeding stop with a tissue.

22. Briere Fur Mom

With chronic pancreatitis iI'm re-thinking the oil. The amount I used was miniscule. The size of a pin head rubbed along the outer edge. Defer to your vet before trying. I def don't want to give advice that could cause a flare.

Sounds like you have a routine in place. Djoko is one of those "two-stroke" type cats. A couple of pets and they're good.
    Only thoughts, if Djoko would allow it, a warm rice sock applied to the ear instead of your BF's breath. Might heat the ear up better so, the blood flows better. You're using a small gauge needle which makes a smaller hole. If you're having a problem with the amount of blood and have to "squeeze" the ear, that could be causing discomfort and further "skittishness". I used 30 gauge lancets. Bigger diameter so, bigger drop of blood. I've heard mention of getting the drop of blood on your fingernail and test from there so, you can release Djoko after "clotting". Make the what he sees as trauma go away sooner. Since he prefers your BF have him lay the affection on thickly prior to test. The black or dilated pupils is a sign of fear.
    I wish I could offer something further but, have no personal experience with an uncooperative diabetic cat:(

Marj & Djoko likes this.
  23. Briere Fur Mom

Here's a link that has some testing tips. You've probably seen it.
    A lot of peeps use neosporin w/o hydrocortisone to help the ears.

Marj & Djoko likes this.