? 19/12 hercules 13.6 PMPS, 12.8 +2 Active cycle?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hercule's mum, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am new to Lantus and still a bit nervous.... This is Hercules 3rd day on it. The +2 is technically lower than the PMPS, but I guess I could also see as the same... I was planning to catch on my sleep, but perhaps I shouldn't? Can anyone advice?

2. Hercule's mum

ok. I guess it is +4 10.4.... @Melita & Chnoudi you will have company this evening.... :)

Melita & Chnoudi likes this.
  3. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

haha let's join forces against this Monster of diabetes!!! Hercules will be the leader, as its name indicates!! :bighug:

Hercule's mum likes this.
  4. Hercule's mum

Ok 11.7 at +6. Sleeeeep!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Just a comment for next time - the majority of FDMB members are from the US, as is the server that runs the software, so we have a convention of "talking" in terms of ng/dl for blood sugar numbers. It'll mean more people can help you as they'll understand what is happening. Your US tab will provide the conversions for you.

And I see a blue on there tonight, good for Hercule! :cool:

6. Hercule's mum

will do @Wendy&Neko !

Can I ask a question about "active cycles"? when I was "studying" lantus to ask to change insulin, I am sure I founf out some sticky somewhere explaining what it was, but I can't find it anymore....
    Are active cycles, unusual cycles where BG might go lower than usual; or is an active cycle, one that you see an insulin effect, so what you aim a "normal" cycle?

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Here it is: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

Example of an ACTIVE, but NOT necessarily typical Lantus/Basaglar cycle:
    NOTE: Until kitty is pretty well regulated, the description below is NOT not what you'd consider a "typical" Lantus/Basaglar cycle. It takes time and patience for kitty to achieve a "typical" cycle! The example below is what you're working towards (a nice shallow curve). A relatively flat cycle is the ultimate goal.

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number. Onset begins around +2 for most cats. You'll probably see an active cycle if the +2 is the same/similar OR lower than the preshot number. Continue testing!
    +3 - Often lower than the PreShot number.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle. NOTE: ECID. Not every cat has a mid-cycle nadir. Adjust the hours on this example to fit your cat.)
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (one of the quirks of Lantus/Basaglar/Levemir: some cat's blood glucose numbers dip around +10 or +11... not to be confused with nadir).
    +12 - PreShot number.

An active Levemir cycle will have an onset at approximately +4 and a nadir around +8 - +10. However, please keep in mind every cat is different (ECID). Data collection will offer you a better picture of YOUR cat's response to either of these insulins.

Initially, don't expect to see "active" cycles after every single shot whether you're using Lantus/Basaglar or Levemir. Chances are, your kitty had diabetes for some time before diagnosis. It requires time for kitty's body to become used to dropping into lower numbers than their bodies have become accustomed. Don't expect immediate results! Regulation takes time and patience:

8. Bandit's Mom

We typically say a cycle will be "active" when kitty sees a good drop at onset which would mean that he/she is likely to go lower later in the cycle and more tests would be needed.

9. Hercule's mum

Thank you Bhooma!

I have seen this. But it is this statement that is getting me confused:

So, is an "active cycle" what we aim for on a regular basis, or the odd that I may encounter everynow and then?

On Prozinc Hercs did many kamikaze drops, which were stressing me out. Moving to Lantus, was in part to try to reduce the crazy drops, In hope that I can go back to work in the office and have a few more night with proper sleep...

So I am trying to understand whether active cycles, require extra attention; or is just at the beggining and once we have the "right" dose, just ok? Does that make sense?

10. Bandit's Mom

Well, the L insulins are supposed to give gentler/flatter curves. Shoot low to stay low etc. That is the ultimate aim.
    Some cats flatten out faster than others - their liver gets used to lower numbers and there isn't that much up and down due to bouncing. Some bounce all the way to remission is what I have read here.

I guess it is a combination of liver training and finding the right dose. Once you are able to understand Hercs' onset and nadir, you should be able to test less. Use the BG at onset as a indicator of whether Hercs will need more monitoring in that cycle.

Not sure I answered your question!

Btw, your Signature still says Prozinc. And you don't need to mention the dose on the Signature since it keeps changing.

11. Hercule's mum

Fixed! Thanks!

Uhmmm, so I think if all is working well and we curves are gentle, most of the time we won't see active cycles (as in low values at +2). Perhaps that is what I am getting wrong? when the +2 is lower is not an active cycle, but an odd one?

Sorry I am being thick!

12. Bandit's Mom