19/2 Chico AMPS 167, stalled 12.5 405?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marina & Chico, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Bandit's Mom and Gill & George like this.
  2. Marina & Chico

So we stalled because of 167 at AMPS and got a 405 in 0.5 hours, is it possible or was one of the measurements incorrect?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It is possible one of the tests was out. I found that if I didn't get quite enough blood on the test strip, it would read low. Good thing you shot the 1.5 units.

Marina & Chico likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It is possible, when you get a number that seems out of place like that, either much higher or lower than you expect you could double check by getting another sample, you can occasionally get strange readings.
    ETA did you feed at +12? or did you stall without feeding?

He would have been OK to shoot at 167, stalling is fine as it would have been the first blue you shot. He looked to have been flat from the nights earlier numbers.

It will be interesting to see what happens at +2 today.

As for the dose...
    Let's see what he does today and tonight.
    But if he doesn't see green I think you could take the dose up tomorrow, I don't see him as being new to blue, and he appears to be trending up. If he only just dips into green or you get a low blue today, maybe hold for 8 cycles. I'll see if I can get some other folk to have a look at his numbers, and see what they think too, it's always good to have more than one opinion.
    Hope his tummy troubles are improving with his meds.

Increasing the dose:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • Increase by 0.25 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300.
    • Increase by 0.5 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 300.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  5. Marina & Chico

Maybe that was the case, since we changed the needles on our lancet we are really struggling to measure him, the sample are much smaller then they used to be... thanks for your insight

6. Marina & Chico

So apparently it was a strange reading because the +1 was 349. We stalled without feeding, that's why it surprised us a lot.

We will prepare for an increase tomorrow. It looks like it will be needed, thanks for guiding us.

I am not very happy with his tummy still, i was expecting some results already but nothing yet, today he had again a mixture, i gave him a 3.5 which is the most i have given him since we started the grading system but i am not happy with it. We have 2 ore days of antibiotics, we will finish that and if after 2 more days nothing changes we will ask the vet to test for B12 deficiency.

On a better note (at least i think it is) i got a negative glucose reading in his urine together with neg ketones for the last 2 days. Yesterday i thought it was maybe just a mistake that the glucose stripe didn't get green at all but today i am a bit more positive about it. Let's see if it will continue :)

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Just seeing this thread. I am sorry, but I just didn't get the tag! No idea why those act up every now and then!

8. Marina & Chico

No worries, it turned out to be a false alarm only

thanks for answering

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Gill & George

That's great, he has been spending quite a bit of time in those blue numbers which are below the renal threshold.

Lets see what he does today and tonight first, I see an interesting blue cycle developing, Chico might have something to say about the threat of a dosecrease.

He may improve after he finishes the AB, loose bowel movement is a known side effect of the AB you are giving him.

10. Gill & George

George would run high when we had visitors too, especially if they were young ones.

Nice to see him out of the red, last time you took an increase, cycle 2 was very active.
    Hope you guys have a nice evening.

11. Marina & Chico

Now the kids are asleep, he got 148 at +3... im happy and nervous in the same time, might be a very active cycle

Gill & George likes this.
  12. Gill & George

It looked like he was heading that way with the +2.
    I'm sure the kids have been a factor, but he also did this when you upped the dose from 1.25 to 1.50.

Have you given him some higher LC at +3?

13. Marina & Chico

No, 2%, my husband wants to let him go a bit lower tonight after so many higher days... we’ll measure at 3.5 and decide then

14. Gill & George

That's seems reasonable though he has gone down quick you do have some wiggle room with the 148, if he is still dropping quickly then you can try some MC or Higher LC if all you need to do is slow him down a bit.
    If he were to drop all the way into green in 30min I might think of taking out a teaspoon or two of HC it looks like a bounce clearing cycle, combined with him relaxing a bit now the kids are asleep, when they clear a bounce they can really gather some speed.

15. Gill & George

Looks like he has slowed down with just the LC at +3, your DH made a good call.
    I'm off to bed, have an early start tomorrow.
    Hope he has a gentle cycle tonight.

16. Marina & Chico

He is slowing down a bit, he’s at 131 at 3.5, we think of measuring again at 4.5.
    Thank you for your support :)

have a good night