19/4 Monty AMPS = 286. +5 275. PMPS = 247. +2 256 +5 241 +6 241

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Monty's mom Fenjah, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Monty's mom Fenjah

Monty's mom Fenjah Member

Yesterday: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/18-4-monty-amps-212-5-202-pmps-295-5-293.246304/

I am so confused about Monty's numbers! It looks like the insulin isn't working?

Three days ago I changed his Royal Canin Diabetic dry food with 50/50 of the same and a new from Ziwipeek! I am desperatly looking for a low carb wet food he likes! He loves Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken and I am trying my best to get it home from US to Denmark! If and when that happens he will be on that full time!

But if the blood sugar is getting higher because of Ziwipeek why is it good then? I mean it's not as good as wet food low carbs, but it should be better than Royal Canin Diabetic dry food?

6 days ago we went from 1 unit Levemir twice a day to 0.75 unit twice a day. Could that be the reason it's so high?

Please give me some input if you have an idea. <3

Love and many hugs,
    Mikala

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-aQUl8b5A34tg_BiFJQjRBnzulUBjpsgA4CKhtu4C60/edit#gid=0

Monty's story from a previous post:

Hi friends.
    My name is Mikala, from Denmark, and I am the cat mom of a special little boy and girl named Monty and Molly.
    They are both born with a chromosome abnormality and they are not siblings.
    In October 2020 Monty was diagnosed with diabetes and I have been trying my best to navigate with all the information from my vets but the last month has been hard, because Monty's blood sugar is not under control.
    I need all the helt and guidance I can get. <3

[​IMG]
    Important facts about Monty:

From 2013-2015 Monty had blood in his urine and was on Urinary diet from Royal Canin. The vets tried to figure out why he has blood but it turned out to be from stress from a cat he lived with in our home. The cat was a rescue and got a wonderful perfect home with a woman with no cats so that is perfect.

In 2015 Monty's blood samples showed that he had a little too high SDMA (https://www.idexx.dk/da/veterinary/reference-laboratories/sdma/) and it kept on changing from about 10-18 and back again and the limit is 14. All his other kidney leves are normal.
    Monty started on Royal Canin Renal to support his kidneys. He loves dry food and I am trying to get him to eat wet food and is giving him unlimited dry food and wetfood twice a day. He eats around a spoonfull wetfood twice a day only.

In March 2018 Monty was diagnosed with epilepsy and he is has been on Phenobarbital ever since to stop the seizures. His seizures was weird looking and not how I would have imagined epilepsy look like. He was acting like he was stoned and was walking weird and in slowmotion and like he couldn't seem to find the ground with his one paw. Since Monty started on his medication I havn't seen a seizure and I feel very relieved.
    Monty is still eating Royal Canin Renal to support his kidneys. He loves dry food and I am trying to get him to eat wet food and is giving him unlimited dry food and wetfood twice a day. He eats around a spoonfull wetfood twice a day only.

October 2020 Monty is drinking water like CRAZY and he is not eating a whole lot. A blood sample shows that he has diabetes because his blood sugar is crazy high.
    Monty starts on insulin Levemir and has been on that since.
    The vets told me to change food to Royal Canin Diabetes wet and dry food and like always, Monty doesnt care for wet food and I have been trying to feed him wet food twice a day with unlimited dry food. About a month ago I started to offer him wet food four times a day like I have also been measuing his blood sugar four times a day instead of two times a day before insulin.

You can find all his numbers from the last month in my sheet.
    How in the world do I help my boy? I feel like I need to change his diet and maybe that will help? But how do I find a diet he likes that is also supporting his kidneys?
    If you have any advice it would make me very happy but please remember that I am all new to this diabetes world and I love my boy so much and I will do anything for him and I am very nervous and sensitive when it comes to his health.
    Monty and Molly are my world.

Love and Happiness,
    Mikala

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Here is the link to your condo from yesterday:https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/18-4-monty-amps-212-5-202-pmps-295-5-293.246304/
    Please post the link to your previous condo each day, that way we can go back and easily read the history on Monty...and you don't have to keep providing the same information:).
    We can access Monty's spreadsheet in your signature, so you don't need to include a link to it when you post.

Hang in there:bighug:. Feline Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, and you're doing great! Keep trying to get Monty off that darn dry food. Is there anything he loves (other than dry food, lol) that might entice him to eat more of it? For example, with Butters, I have mashed up a little bit of sardine in some water and mixed that in with wet food to get her to eat it. Can you mix wet food in with the dry and get him to eat more of the wet that way? You may have to start very small. So maybe replacing even as little as 1/2 tsp at a time, holding that for a few days, and then moving up to 1 tsp. Diet changes are tough but they take time and patience. Yes, getting Monty onto wet food 100% of the time will ultimately help with both the diabetes and his kidneys.

I looked at Monty's SS and imo, he might be losing steam at this dose. Kitties' insulin needs can and do change. I recommend you have a look at other spreadsheets. We all have links in our signatures. There is so much you can learn from them! And you will see that Monty's pattern isn't all that unusual. I have had Butters on as little as .25u of insulin and as much as 4.25u insulin. she has gone up and down the dosing ladder. There were times in 2020 where her numbers looked very similar to Monty's. Cats need as much insulin as they need, so try not to worry about the dose itself and why he suddenly needs more.

Did you get a chance to read this stickyhttps://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/
    Because you give Monty dry food, you would need to follow "Start Low Go Slow". Doses are held for 7 days and then a curve is run, unless BG drops <90, in which case that is an immediate .25u reduction. Since this is day six on the same dose for Monty, do a blood glucose curve for him tomorrow and then we evaluate his nadirs and decide if he needs an increase. As per the sticky:

After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours. Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet. The goal is to learn how low the current dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit
    Assuming nothing changes with his numbers tomorrow, he will probably need an increase. Do the curve. See what others think.

3. Monty's mom Fenjah

Monty's mom Fenjah Member

I think this is a really good method and I want to do that. It doesn't feel too "risky" and "dangerous" to me if you know what I mean <3
    Oh yes, and the wet food from Weruva I just NEED to get that!
    When Monty got Royal Canin Renal food before he got diabetes I was struggling with getting him to eat the small amount of wet food twice a day IF the bach number was different! He is seriously the pickiest eater in the world! I am trying to hide just a tiny piece of wet food of some kind and he refuses to eat! But with Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken he was BEGGING for more! I have never seen anything like that with him before! Well except for Applaws chicken wet food but that is not on the list. So I am literally doing everything I can to get it to Denmark including trying to sell the idea to Zooplus.dk and Maxizoo to try and sell Weruva and how Monty will do so much free commercial for them online.