19/6 Mauer isn't feeling great... update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SashaV, Jun 19, 2022.

1. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Seems a lot of oldies is back. Guess it always happens in three's.

At my 2PM +6, Mauer tried to vomit down my back. At 4PM +8 she had vomited again, and had some very loose poops.
    At AMPS she didn't want to eat. Even gave her mackerel and sardines...what a smell!
    She got some nausea meds and still would not eat. Called the vet, gave more for her nausea and some pain meds...
    Decided to give her one third of her dose and one hour past her juice and more meds she ate a bit.

I'll talk to the vet later today. Going in tomorrow at 9AM for a big check up.

She's so overweight I'm embarrassed, her legs is going to give out on her at some point. I don't know what's wrong with her...

I'm quite sure I'll get her home with me tomorrow, but I'm also sure I've reached my limit..
    Everything in me is fighting the thoughts about it, cause I can't imagine a life without her. I don't want to make that choice but I'll have to. I need to be able to look myself in the mirror knowing I didn't let her suffer because of my own feelings.

I'm going in hiding in my bed spooing with Mauer until forever...

Just an update.. or whatever you'll call it.

2. La-La Leo

La-La Leo Well-Known Member

:bighug:
    I Praying things improve for Mauer and you.

SashaV likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Sasha))) I hoping for a good vetty visit with some answers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Sending many get better vines to sweet Mauer. Any chance she got into or ate something she shouldn't have? Does she feel dehydrated? Scruff should snap back quickly and her gums should feel slick not tacky. I wonder if it's pancreatitis.

As an aside, you might want to put the actual dose on her spreadsheet this morning. "1/3" doesn't translate well on the US spreadsheet.:eek: Typically you could have given at least a 1/2 dose. Cats undergoing anaesthesia who cannot have food can still get half a dose. Insulin does more in the body than counteract the carbs in food.

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

No, she couldn't have eaten anything, and I don't have anything poisonous reachable or at all really..

I know, but if she didn't want to eat later either I would have a problem on my hands by now. I really don't understand where this almost green comes from, specially since the last days have been weird?!

But she only got half dose nausea meds the first time. Turns out that dose I had, was calculated on Mauer being not so......fat.
    I'm thinking Cushings like I've been all along since we started Lev the second time.... she has dandruff and it hasn't subsided, huge pit belly, and I cannot for the life of me, figure out why she's not losing weight?!?!!
    She's not that high dose kitty, and she's been running down the past month or so, but 4.5U is still a lot considering almost everyone else...

Aaaaah nice Wen. I haven't thought about looking at the US tab. I'll do that right away! :bighug:

I'm thinking... could this have been a low I didn't catch? My strips is way past expired, but I do to test with another meter if something is off... I just didn't think that far last night o_O

And her gums is slick, skin snapping right back into place. I would eat me if I tried taking her temperatur, so I won't. Her eyes seemed sunken in.. I might be imagining that though. Her gums also fine, color wise. She did have a twitch, like if we're dreaming and suddenly waking up?

She's all good now. And I'm allowed to give more sq nausea meds if she get nauseous again..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Reason for edit: Forgot some questions!
  5. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Ohh Sasha, i’m so sorry you and Mauer are going thru this :bighug::bighug: hope the visit to the vet will help figure out the cause of her not feeling well
    Keep us posted :bighug:

6. Wendy&Neko

The depot is helping keep her numbers steady so far today. You might see her rise up tonight.

Why Cushings? Is she losing fur? We've seen kitties with IAA, Cushings, and acromegaly here with doses less than 4 units. Having one of those conditions doesn't mean a high dose, but having a high dose there's a high probability of one of those conditions.

7. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

She probably will. But she's been handling the skips much better than I expected!

Losing fur? In patches or just shedding? She's always been shedding a lot. Literally a LOT! It's mostly the pot belly thing that I'm concerned about.

8. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Thanks Marina :bighug:
    I'm sorry you're back here!

9. Marina & Chico

Thank you, it is what it is, at least we managed our vacation in March :)

SashaV likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

11. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I'm a bit jealous now :p:cool:
    Where did you go?

12. Marina & Chico

Thailand for 2 weeks, best vacation ever :woot:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  13. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Oh my God! Sounds amazing!!!!

Marina & Chico likes this.
  14. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Just dropping by to wish you and Maus well, from me and Eddie.
    I might say that Eddie also has a large abdomen and is a chonky cat where one he was a slim ninja. Eddie has acromegaly and also often has dandruff-y fur.
    Hoping all goes well with your vet visit.

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Wendy&Neko

17. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

So vet visit on Monday went well. Or.. it went? He found absolutely nothing wrong with my girl, other than her severe obesity. He was very excited about my control of her diabetes and wanted to learn more, so I emailed him some research.

Mauer was very happy on Monday. She even went out in the garden, where she doesn't usually come on her own.

Tuesday evening she got her shot and didn't eat. She got some snacks and threw it all back up. I treated her nausea and gave pain meds and she was off all night. She didn't purr to me, she was uncomfortable, vomited several times and had some lose poops again.

So I called the vet who didn't have time today, picked up some cerenia and mirataz for her ear. Gave her cerenia when I got home, now waiting on it to work before giving the mirataz. She has an appointment tomorrow, and this time I won't leave without having a blood test done. I decided to skip her insulin, I'm still trying to get back on schedule after Sundays delayed shot. So I'm skipping the whole thing, draining the depot, getting back on track tonight.

??I'm thinking of giving her 3.25U tonight because of the skip, and then go to 3U tomorrow? I'd rather have her in the tiny bit higher greens than letting her swim with the sharks.

Now I'll wash my bedding sheets again again, because someone is very polite and puking in my bed instead of the floor. She's killing my electricity bill slowly but surely.... And my sleep. Not to speak of my bank account.

On the positive side, Mauers joints is not (yet) affected by her obesity, heck yeah!!! Someone please find the way to eternal life for cats...I'll give you my arms, legs, a kidney...

18. carfurby (GA)

19. Marina & Chico

So sorry Mauer isnt feeling better :( hope the blood results will help you shed some light.:bighug::bighug:

Chico as well is very polite with his puking, he always chooses the carpets instead of the floors :rolleyes:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  20. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Isn't it lovely with those pukers?! :p:D:arghh:
    Next time I think I'll puke where she sleeps :cool: the revenge is sweet!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  21. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Oh Sasha, sorry to see Mauer is not doing well. It seems that whenever you write, you are washing sheets! Didn't the rabbit poop in the bed last year, or is my memory playing tricks on me?! MAUER - cousin Minne and auntie Liz say you need to get better and stop with all the mess everywhere except the litter box. Feel better soon! :bighug::bighug:

22. Marina & Chico

Too bad you would have to clean that as well :p

23. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

No no no, Sasha! Don't talk like that about losing Mauer. It's not happening. She's going to get better! :bighug::bighug::bighug: Please get some bloodwork done and post here and let us know what's going on!

SashaV likes this.
  24. Wendy&Neko

If the Cerenia isn't working well, can you get ondansetron?

25. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Works like a charm so far! Still eating!
    I just refuse giving Mauer any oral drugs, specially if she's nauseous. It's funny, cause Miver her brother is excellent at taking pills, Mauer absolutely sucks at it.

26. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I'm getting blood work done, and I've also saved some nice poop for the vet :rolleyes::smuggrin:
    I'm thinking it's her pancreas... saw somewhere that 67% of healthy cats have it, and diabetes just makes the risk bigger. I'll let you know the moment I know :bighug::bighug:

27. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

You're totally right, auntie Liz...... I'm washing sheets and duvets all the time.. it's practically a hobby of mine!! :rolleyes:

Couldn't cousin Minnie learn her to cover up her mess? Even in the litter box? Mauer is very very friendly and good at sharing. Even the smell she shares with pleasure. :p
    That's why I know who's going and doing when and what :woot:

Theo just pees in my couch. He hasn't done it in a while, knocking on wood! He's getting a girlfriend soon, she has no ears and she's so cute!

Why on earth would you kill my vibe like that, Marina?! :arghh:
    And why didn't I think of that myself :oops:

28. Wendy&Neko

That's why some people get the injectable version of ondansetron.

29. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Then I'll ask for that! Vet wanted me to come in today, so the nurse could give Mauer the shot... but seriously I shoot her every 12 hours, and have been for years... I can do that shot. So I was allowed to pick up the syringe and leave Mauer at home.

Just got 5 vials of Reglan on Monday... that obviously doesn't work anymore. Lovely.

I just passed midnight here. I need sleep. Yesterday night was rough with all that worry.

Have a great day, and thank you WenWen :bighug::bighug:

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  30. Suzanne & Darcy

I don’t like Reglan. It doesn’t work as well as Ondansetron which comes in injectable form and Reglan has risks/side effects that I don’t like.

31. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

It usually works fine here. Also Miver is regularly constipated, Theo the rabbit is too, so I kinda need the motility effects. But it clearly doesn't work on Mauer anymore. I take Reglan myself when needed :rolleyes:

32. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

She got another shot of cerenia, and some mirataz when we got home.

She only gained 240 grams in a year.... but she's at 8265 grams... she should be around 5500... big kitty :oops:
    She bleeds better than a huge dog, and is so polite when the vet is taking blood from her.

Vet says Cushings is very very rare in cats.
    Anyway, big blood panel done. Vet thinks the accident on the rear end was due to Reglan getting things moving and is not concerned about it. Temperature was fine, higher than on Monday, not dehydrated, could need a cleaning of her teeth. Very obese... obviously.
    She's licking her mouth and drooling a bit, side-effects I'm guessing.

But she's in great spirits!
    I'd be too, if my mom let me pee on her. Just saying.
    I'll know tomorrow what's going on.

Liz & Minnie and Marina & Chico like this.
  33. Suzanne & Darcy

Cerenia can cause drooling. Could be something else, of course. Thanks for the update! Will wait for tomorrow’s update. :bighug::bighug:

34. Marina & Chico

Thanks for the update! Hope the results will shed some light but great to hear that she is in good spirits :cat:

35. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

It's funny how those things that makes the nausea go away, can make them nauseous. :woot:

She really is! Seems like every time she's been out of the house she's even more curious. I would have thought it the other way around :D

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

36. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Liver, kidneys and red blood cells fine, white was very slightly low, T4 fine, platelets fine. Healthy kitty. Her longterm BG was 422- or very close... why THAT high?

Won't get an answer on her pancreas before Monday. Got two syringes of cerenia, ondansetron wasn't even on the table, I had to fight to get cerenia. And Mauer doesn't do pills, when nauseous absolutely not.. I'm not even allowed in her head space.

Temperatures just hit 30 in some parts of the country. Just around 26 where I am. I won't complain, since other parts of the world is drowning in sweat. But darn it's hot!
    My carrots died. My peas is growing like it's a weed.

If her test for pancreatitis is positive, then what?
    As I've read there's not much to be done anyway.

Has anyone else experienced that the ear that got mirataz is odd poking in later? It's water is kinda blood and it doesn't form a drop.

37. Wendy&Neko

When I gave Mirataz, I didn't rub it up to the upper edges of the ear. Which is the area that is poked. This video shows how:

With pancreatitis, you treat the symptoms. Pain relief, fluids, anti nausea. Ondansetron comes in an injectable. The vet doesn't need to carry, just write a prescription you get filled at a regular people pharmacy.

38. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

That's how I do it. Still she bleeds weird..

That's not exactly how it works here. Fluids is something the vet does. I've never heard of a client who gave fluids at home to their pets until I came here. For kidney disease prescription DRY foods is recommended, with added salt to encourage drinking. And I've never heard of any pets given injectable meds home - she even wanted me to bring Mauer there again today for a cerenia shot. I flat out told her that would not happen. There's no way I'm stressing Mauer out for a third time this week.
    And never heard about stronger pain meds other than metacam..

I don't even think the people pharmacy has ondansetron as injectable. We have strict rules about medications. Hence why I'm hoarding when I get the opportunity!:oops:
    I bought my fluids at the German Amazon :smuggrin:

39. Suzanne & Darcy

I'm glad Mauer's bloodwork (so far) seems to be pretty good. If she does have pancreatitis, then treatment is fluids, pain meds (if cat is in pain), usually Cerenia or other anti-nausea meds (but your vet says no to ondansetron) appetite stimulants if necessary after giving anti-nausea meds. I would definitely not give Metacam as it's very bad for the kidneys (unless at a very low dose and there's a lot of debate about that.) Buprenorphine is what a cat in pain needs, and it sounds like there's no way you can get that. With as many cats as I have, I keep a stockpile here of boxes of Cerenia tablets, Ondansetron tablets, Bupe, Mirataz, etc.

Anyway, it sounds like all in all, Mauer is doing okay. Now I guess you need to get her down in weight a little bit?

40. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Metacam is safe. We have the cat metacam, 0.5, I believe you only have the dog version at 1.5. So your dose is three times bigger.
    Don't think I'll ever get my hands on bupe...

Yeah. Next is definitely weight. Don't know how to control her BG when cutting down on food....

41. Suzanne & Darcy

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. carfurby (GA)

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Mauers pancreatic test was 5.6, reference numbers is anything above 5.3 or was is 5.4? Anyway, she's only slightly above the limit. I'll redo her tests in two months.
    My vet has also prescribed some ondansetron 2ml vials, so thanks @Wendy&Neko :bighug: she didn't know it existed, so we learned something new!

Vet told me to keep doing what I'm doing. Making sure she's eating, keeping her regulated, and act if she starts throwing up with ondansetron, mirataz and if in pain, some morphine like pain meds.

Is she bouncing? I'm not increasing today, if anyone should get that idea, I'm away until pmps, my mom is shooting. I'm getting Theo his girlfriend :D and it's a long drive in very heavy rain!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  44. Wendy&Neko

Awesome on the ondansetron! I hope it helps. What was the dose suggested?

SashaV likes this.
  45. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I don't know yet, my vet don't know either so she'll find out. I'll let you know when I know :D