2/10 - How to collect urine from your cat using saran wrap

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I remember someone recently asking how you collect urine from your cat using saran wrap. I found this video which might be helpful. Of course you don't need to bag it. Just dip your test strip in the saran wrap. The only thing I question is would my cat urinate in the box if it has saran wrap on top?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You'll never know until you try it, Summer. ;)

I use plant fibre litter, at quite a deep fill. Many cats have a 'favourite spot' in the litter box where they like to pee. I place the wrap over that spot and push down on the litter a bit to create a little well for the urine to pool in. I also make sure that not all the litter is covered so that the scent of the box will still be familiar.

Mogs

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

I did my reading regarding the ketone test strips from ReliOn. I have them in the bathroom ready to go. I have a little alarm clock with a second hand to count down the 15 seconds. I am going to try and use a large, flatish spoon and get it under her. You know the old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". That has, thus far, been my problem. These strips are only for ketones. Not glucose. If you are testing for glucose with meters why would you also need to test the urine for glucose?

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I've used this method quite a bit, and have not yet had a cat object to a bit of saran wrap on the cat litter. They don't even seem to have noticed that it's there... Maybe I've been lucky...

I crumple the wrap quite a bit, and then put it over the litter very loosely, pushing it down a bit into the litter here and there. So, it ends up more like 'a litter tray with some wrap in it' rather than a 'wrap covered litter tray'...if that makes sense...
    My cats have usually scratched at it a bit when they go into the tray, just like they would with the litter itself. When they pee though 'chances are' that some of that pee will catch in the creases of the wrap, and that is usually more than enough.

I do like the idea in your video of actually being able to pick up the pee in the wrap. That's quite ingenious! ...Although you'd have to hope that the cat hadn't clawed any holes in the film, otherwise when you pick it up you may get a tad damp, hehe!

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for the tip. Susie doesn't have front claws so I only have to worry about the back ones and she is not good about covering her "business". Will have to try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.